Pages: 1 ... 487 488 489 [490] 491 492 493 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2010520 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #7335 on: Wednesday, October 16, 2019, 10:30:57 »

presumably the ports serving between Britain and N Ireland will be the customs points

I guess something like that... presumably it removes the need for customs posts between RoI and NI, but not for passport checks between RoI and GB.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #7336 on: Wednesday, October 16, 2019, 10:53:54 »

although Johnson does want to build a bridge from Calderwood country to Larne  Hmmm

The bridge that would have to be enormous to allow shipping to pass underneath it, being built over the Beaufort Dyke which is full of a million+ tons of discarded  munitions- including six-inch shells filled with phosgene gas.

What could possibly go wrong......
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #7337 on: Wednesday, October 16, 2019, 11:51:05 »

I guess something like that... presumably it removes the need for customs posts between RoI and NI, but not for passport checks between RoI and GB.

RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #7338 on: Thursday, October 17, 2019, 08:03:58 »

DUP ("Never. Never. Never!") appearing to be more consistent than Bojo.

Brexit resembling an interminable game of Snakes and Ladders
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7339 on: Thursday, October 17, 2019, 08:11:48 »

DUP ("Never. Never. Never!") appearing to be more consistent than Bojo.
To be fair, I've used random number generators that are more consistent than Johnson.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7340 on: Thursday, October 17, 2019, 11:21:57 »

So Johnson's new deal appears to be exactly the same as May's deal that the "Spartans" couldn't possibly vote for, including the backstop, with two key differences:
1) The DUP get to veto it every four years if things aren't to their liking (and fuck knows what happens then)
2) Whereas May had a slender majority reliant on the DUP and still didn't get it through parliament, Johnson has blown his majority by expelling 21 Tory MPs who's votes he's now going to need. As well as the DUP etc etc
Hmm
Flashheart

« Reply #7341 on: Thursday, October 17, 2019, 11:24:42 »

https://www.facebook.com/swindonadvertiser/posts/2408740215846563

This kind of thing drives me mad.

Not the article itself, not that some are pro-brexit, and not even that some want it at any cost. (although the latter really does grate)

What really drives me mad is the accusations in the FB comments that this report is just 'project fear', and the sheer number of 'laughing' smilies at the article because, apparently, it's all just made up to put people off Brexit.

This is despite it being a government report. From the VERY SAME government that is PRO brexit.

What a time to be alive.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7342 on: Thursday, October 17, 2019, 11:29:36 »

I liked the "more lies from LEFT-WING Adver" bit Smiley Yeah, it's basically the Morning Star with a slight Wiltshire burr
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #7343 on: Thursday, October 17, 2019, 11:32:01 »

I’m sure Corbyn’s mob will put paid to this deal getting through but if the impossible does happen then I hope the men in white coats are stationed near to the PaulD household as the meltdown will be something else  Cheesy
Flashheart

« Reply #7344 on: Thursday, October 17, 2019, 13:25:13 »

Juncker says there will be no extension, regardless of whether or not a deal has been agreed.

I'm glad I'm not over there.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #7345 on: Thursday, October 17, 2019, 13:39:35 »

Juncker says there will be no extension, regardless of whether or not a deal has been agreed.

I'm glad I'm not over there.

Setting aside the fact that such an extension is not in his gift, its actually not what he said.

He's very deliberately not ruling out an extension. He's saying we don't need one. Trying to be as helpful as possible to Johnson without tying EU hands if the vote doesn't get through.
Flashheart

« Reply #7346 on: Thursday, October 17, 2019, 13:52:57 »

Setting aside the fact that such an extension is not in his gift, its actually not what he said.

He's very deliberately not ruling out an extension. He's saying we don't need one. Trying to be as helpful as possible to Johnson without tying EU hands if the vote doesn't get through.

Yeah, I see that now. Certain members of the press were not being entirely honest.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7347 on: Thursday, October 17, 2019, 14:02:54 »

Yeah, I see that now. Certain members of the press were not being entirely honest.
Or just diving in with a knee-jerk reaction before they'd fully understood what was actually being said? Love the use of the word "prolongation" though Smiley
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #7348 on: Thursday, October 17, 2019, 14:03:09 »

It's difficult to be absolutely certain what he meant but I think you are spot on and so do all the commentators I've read.  Makes sense.

If parliament votes for the deal then fine from EU standpoint.

If parliament votes down the deal but votes for a second referendum then some in the EU might sigh but they will surely allow extension.  Don't believe Macron would seek to block it notwithstanding his classic Gallic posturing.

Is it possible that parliament could vote against the deal and against a second referendum?  I think EU would then refuse to extend.  And who could blame them.

Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #7349 on: Thursday, October 17, 2019, 14:04:58 »

Or just diving in with a knee-jerk reaction before they'd fully understood what was actually being said? Love the use of the word "prolongation" though Smiley

I think you're being a bit unfair on Flashheart here.
Pages: 1 ... 487 488 489 [490] 491 492 493 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: