Pages: 1 ... 479 480 481 [482] 483 484 485 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2016144 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #7215 on: Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 11:00:19 »

So Boris lied to the queen then. soapy tit wank, not like he's got any form with telling the truth is it

The pro brexit brigade don't give a shit what he does though and that's the most concerning thing for me. They want brexit at any cost.

Undermining the rule of law is one of the first gambits in the fascist playbook, they can only get away with it with the compliance of the MSM and a sizeable number of ordinary citizens.... what we're seeing atm.

Certainly anyone who values the basic tenets of our society, rule of law, democracy, freedom of speech, need to be vigilant.  Although far from perfect these are things which have taken a long time to evolve, and we shouldn't just assume their continuation, without fight.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7216 on: Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 11:02:16 »

Undermining the rule of law is one of the first gambits in the fascist playbook, they can only get away with it with the compliance of the MSM and a sizeable number of ordinary citizens.... what we're seeing atm.

Certainly anyone who values the basic tenets of our society, rule of law, democracy, freedom of speech, need to be vigilant.  Although far from perfect these are things which have taken a long time to evolve, and we shouldn't just assume their continuation, without fight.
Well said. Will be interesting to see how Buckland, one of the most senior law officers of the land, responds to this.

Ignore
« Reply #7217 on: Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 11:16:47 »

He'll say whatever he feels will further his own career as he's consistently shown.
Nobody with a shred of decency would ever have endorsed Boris as prime minister would they?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #7218 on: Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 11:20:01 »

He'll say whatever he feels will further his own career as he's consistently shown.
Nobody with a shred of decency would ever have endorsed Boris as prime minister would they?

100% spot on.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7219 on: Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 11:21:29 »

Johnson could always appeal ..... to the European Court of Justice Smiley
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #7220 on: Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 11:29:12 »

Johnson could always appeal ..... to the European Court of Justice Smiley

Happy to be contradicted on this but I think the ECJ is only the Supreme Court for matters of interpretation of EU law, and this is solely UK law so as I understand couldn't be referred. Would be entertaining though.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #7221 on: Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 11:34:45 »

Horlock is right.

Unfortunately, Boris' indoctrinated zombies will learn that the ECJ is rather less powerful than claimed and it has no standing to rule on the UK constitution.

Personally I am proud  Too Cool at the independence shown by our judiciary in once again having upheld the sovereignty of our Parliament.

A comment from across the Pond lamented that their own newer and supposedly more independent Supreme Court had been shown up by the UK's SC.
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #7222 on: Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 12:32:14 »

Courts overruling the government is never something to be done lightly in a democracy but if ever there is an instance  that justifies it then this must surely be the one.

Pleasantly surprised by the decision (I wrongly believed that they would have to rule that they can't interfere) and relieved to see that it was unanimous which makes the verdict that much more difficult to challenge credibly.

Struggle to feel any jubilation however.  This verdict has (surely?) stopped us going into the very dark place that would be no deal by stealth, but that is not remotely the same as moving us into a good place.  The whole mess is still dominated by factions looking to win rather than come up with a solution that can achieve a reasonable consensus in the country.

Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #7223 on: Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 12:39:14 »

I'm not sure we've moved on much. Johnson has already started spinning this into the "elites vs the people" narrative. With every failed outrage, he's showing Brexiteers that he'll do anything to take on the "establishment" in order to deliver the "will of the people".

Every lost vote in Parliament or the courts strengthens his goading of the opposition to call an election. And it's only then that the game really starts for him.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #7224 on: Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 12:42:12 »

Hasn't taken long has it.... (taken from Facebook)

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7225 on: Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 12:43:03 »

Courts overruling the government is never something to be done lightly in a democracy but if ever there is an instance  that justifies it then this must surely be the one.

Pleasantly surprised by the decision (I wrongly believed that they would have to rule that they can't interfere) and relieved to see that it was unanimous which makes the verdict that much more difficult to challenge credibly.
Slightly surprised to see you saying this Pax, IIRC it was you who praised Lord Sumption's excellent recent series of Reith Lectures on legal overreach. Wholly agree that this is a case where judicial correction of the executive is justified, but what made you change your mind? (If indeed you have, I may just have misread your posts on Sumption. Or it might not even have been you, in which case, just ignore me Smiley )
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #7226 on: Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 12:43:42 »

There was me expecting to see a dearth of praise for the scintillating policies coming out of the New/Old Labour conference so the silence, nada, nowt, nixypooch, fuckall. I hadn’t realised all you Labour tub thumpers were so shy.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7227 on: Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 12:46:06 »

Hasn't taken long has it.... (taken from Facebook)

As Reg said, first thing the fascists do is attack independent judiciary (and independent media, but not necessary in this case as most of the papers are so slavishly compliant with the hard right agenda)
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #7228 on: Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 12:52:11 »

So now the PM and Tory PM's are arguing (with a straight face) that the decision regarding the prorogation is an attempt to stop Brexit, despite arguing in the courts only last week that the process they were following had absolutely nothing to do with Brexit, this is double-think that even Orwell would have discounted as being unbelievable.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #7229 on: Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 12:52:16 »

There was me expecting to see a dearth of praise for the scintillating policies coming out of the New/Old Labour conference so the silence, nada, nowt, nixypooch, fuckall. I hadn’t realised all you Labour tub thumpers were so shy.

What do you think dearth means?  Hmmm

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Pages: 1 ... 479 480 481 [482] 483 484 485 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: