Pages: 1 ... 477 478 479 [480] 481 482 483 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2012588 times)
RWB Robin

Ignore
« Reply #7185 on: Tuesday, September 17, 2019, 13:53:18 »

Pint"A party unilaterally revoking article 50 is wrong though"

Post from Batch a few pages back, but not answered so far as I can see (apologies if I'm blind).

The Lib Dems are not proposing unilaterally to cancel Article 50.  They continue to support a People's Vote, and were one to happen, would support Remain.

However, in the event of a General Election rather than a PV, a central plank of the Lib Dem manifesto will be Remain (via revokation of Article 50).  People who vote Lib Dem will therefore be perfectly aware of what they are voting for.  As has been said, a Lib Dem majority is highly unlikely.  Nonetheless, were it to happen, you could hardly claim that they were being undemocratic by doing what they have promised all along!
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #7186 on: Tuesday, September 17, 2019, 17:29:35 »

The Lib Dems are not proposing unilaterally to cancel Article 50.  They continue to support a People's Vote, and were one to happen, would support Remain.

However, in the event of a General Election rather than a PV, a central plank of the Lib Dem manifesto will be Remain (via revokation of Article 50). 

So they are proposing to unilaterally cancel Article 50 if they ever got into a position where they can do so.  If they can't unilaterally cancel then they will push for a second vote as an alternative strategy.

Flashheart

« Reply #7187 on: Thursday, September 19, 2019, 22:16:17 »

Today, Brexit Party MEPs abstained in an EU vote calling for the release of (British National) Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe.

But don't forget, ladies and gentleman, that Jeremy Corbyn is a traitor.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #7188 on: Friday, September 20, 2019, 07:44:32 »

Well.  She sounds a bit foreign ish and may have a 'funny tinge' so, you know, blue passports.

Never knowingly overstated.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #7189 on: Friday, September 20, 2019, 09:13:06 »

Pint"A party unilaterally revoking article 50 is wrong though"

Post from Batch a few pages back, but not answered so far as I can see (apologies if I'm blind).

The Lib Dems are not proposing unilaterally to cancel Article 50.  They continue to support a People's Vote, and were one to happen, would support Remain.

However, in the event of a General Election rather than a PV, a central plank of the Lib Dem manifesto will be Remain (via revokation of Article 50).  People who vote Lib Dem will therefore be perfectly aware of what they are voting for.  As has been said, a Lib Dem majority is highly unlikely.  Nonetheless, were it to happen, you could hardly claim that they were being undemocratic by doing what they have, promised all along!
yup, I get that.

I guess it wouldn't be undemocratic if they won, but it doesn't feel right to me. And as I say, I'm very apposed to brexit.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7190 on: Friday, September 20, 2019, 09:43:07 »

Today, Brexit Party MEPs abstained in an EU vote calling for the release of (British National) Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe.
FFS, what possible rationale could they have for that? That's appalling. Although not as bad as Johnson's appalling thoughtlessness which is why she's still rotting in an Iranian jail at all.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #7191 on: Friday, September 20, 2019, 10:04:05 »

yup, I get that.

I guess it wouldn't be indemocratic if they won, but it doesn't feel right to me. And as I say, I'm very apposed to brexit.

If its in the manifesto and people vote for it, that's what democracy do to you.

Polling seems to suggest they could make some big old gains in London and especially Surrey, with both Raab and Hunt being in danger of losing their seats, which would be nice.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7192 on: Friday, September 20, 2019, 10:16:39 »

If its in the manifesto and people vote for it, that's what democracy do to you.

Polling seems to suggest they could make some big old gains in London and especially Surrey, with both Raab and Hunt being in danger of losing their seats, which would be nice.
It'd be hilarious if they could win Islington and Uxbridge.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7193 on: Friday, September 20, 2019, 11:00:08 »

So, report today shows a marked drop in the number of pupils getting the basic 5 GCSEs over the last 5 years, with 18% of school leavers now leaving school as "low acheivers":

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-49766178

Swindon is one of the towns called out in this report as being especially hard hit:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/sep/20/shameful-rise-18-of-children-leave-school-without-basic-qualifications

This is the impact of Gove's education reforms, masterminded by his then special adviser, Dominic Cummings. Two of the "intellectuals" behind No Deal Brexit. These two fuckwits drove through education reforms that head teachers said at the time were harmful and not backed by the evidence. 5 years on and our kids are paying the price for their ideological experiment. Wankers.

Ignore
« Reply #7194 on: Friday, September 20, 2019, 11:11:19 »

Support staff who would have helped those in most need of extra help were the ones who lost their jobs due to savage Tory cuts too. All public services go into decline under Tory rule.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #7195 on: Friday, September 20, 2019, 11:14:03 »

So, report today shows a marked drop in the number of pupils getting the basic 5 GCSEs over the last 5 years, with 18% of school leavers now leaving school as "low acheivers":

Swindon is one of the towns called out in this report as being especially hard hit:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/sep/20/shameful-rise-18-of-children-leave-school-without-basic-qualifications

This is the impact of Gove's education reforms, masterminded by his then special adviser, Dominic Cummings. Two of the "intellectuals" behind No Deal Brexit. These two fuckwits drove through education reforms that head teachers said at the time were harmful and not backed by the evidence. 5 years on and our kids are paying the price for their ideological experiment. Wankers.

Although I'm sure Government policies haven't helped, I suspect there are a range of other factors coming into play, to account for Swindon's continued poor educational attainment.

Remember it was about 3 years ago that Ofsted sent their damning letter to SBC, about the state of all education in the Borough...

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/swindons-children-failed-by-schools-at-every-key-stage
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7196 on: Friday, September 20, 2019, 11:29:42 »

Support staff who would have helped those in most need of extra help were the ones who lost their jobs due to savage Tory cuts too. All public services go into decline under Tory rule.
Sorry, yes should have said, "austerity" underpins all of this. But Gove and Cummings made a bad situation even worse.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #7197 on: Friday, September 20, 2019, 11:48:41 »

In unrelated news...

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/sep/19/education-spending-fall-from-2010-to-now-was-worst-since-1970s-ifs

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #7198 on: Friday, September 20, 2019, 13:21:21 »

Sorry, yes should have said, "austerity" underpins all of this. But Gove and Cummings made a bad situation even worse.

As I said, government policy doesn't help, but other factors shouldn't be overlooked. 

Given today is about kids going on climate strke worldwide, the malign affects of air pollution shouldn't be ruled out, recent reports have highlighted how children at schools are particularly affected by idling cars etc.  Kids brains are developing they need a good environment for that to happpen, they need exercise and a good diet.  I've pointed out before how you can see, on a good day the photo chemical smog hanging over the Town.

Many of these kids with low achievement, just don't get a chance to fully develop their mind's capabilties, as they don't wire up the connections.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7199 on: Friday, September 20, 2019, 13:33:02 »

As I said, government policy doesn't help, but other factors shouldn't be overlooked. 

Given today is about kids going on climate strke worldwide, the malign affects of air pollution shouldn't be ruled out, recent reports have highlighted how children at schools are particularly affected by idling cars etc.  Kids brains are developing they need a good environment for that to happpen, they need exercise and a good diet.  I've pointed out before how you can see, on a good day the photo chemical smog hanging over the Town.

Many of these kids with low achievement, just don't get a chance to fully develop their mind's capabilties, as they don't wire up the connections.
True dat. Albeit that's also a result of successive governments' inaction on these matters.
Pages: 1 ... 477 478 479 [480] 481 482 483 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: