Pages: 1 ... 403 404 405 [406] 407 408 409 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2014131 times)
Combe Up

« Reply #6075 on: Saturday, May 25, 2019, 14:31:11 »

Excellent debate. On my fact finding visit to the European Commission and the European Parliament in Brussels last month the EU literature does keep banging on about peace in Europe. I kept thinking about Yugoslavia, so maybe the EU are talking about peace in the EU? I'm not sure.

My fisherman friend who sails out of Penzance is a great proponent of the UK leaving the UK. The current constraints on the UK fishing fleet are appalling.

I am not convinced that there will be an end to migrant workers, school exchange visits or holiday makers both ways when Parliament gets it act together and the UK leaves the EU.
« Last Edit: Saturday, May 25, 2019, 14:35:04 by Combe Up » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #6076 on: Saturday, May 25, 2019, 14:51:17 »

Excellent debate. On my fact finding visit to the European Commission and the European Parliament in Brussels last month the EU literature does keep banging on about peace in Europe. I kept thinking about Yugoslavia, so maybe the EU are talking about peace in the EU? I'm not sure.

My fisherman friend who sails out of Penzance is a great proponent of the UK leaving the UK. The current constraints on the UK fishing fleet are appalling.

I am not convinced that there will be an end to migrant workers, school exchange visits or holiday makers both ways when Parliament gets it act together and the UK leaves the EU.

Interesting that you should mention Penzance, as I was down there recently and it struck me the amount of EU money that had and was still being spent on various projects around West Penwith and Cornwall generally.  Such a project would be the Jubillee Pool an outdoor swimming pool where the water is heated by accessing geothermal rocks below the surface.  I thought a certain irony in the trust implicit in Brexit voters that the UK government would replace this sort  of regional funding and not just carry on pumping investment into London and the SE.

Of course the reason for HMG favouring London over the regions is that the economy is so dependent on the financial and other service industries, that it cannot be allowed to fail, hence why The City has already negotiated its own deal with the EU, a sort of state within a state.

Fishing is a complex industry, because fish move about in different territorial waters and stocks are not infinite, and tastes for types of fish vary between countries... it's also miniscule in terms of numbers employed and contribution to GDP, hence why governments don't care too much.   Nevertheless there is still some sort of fishing industry in Newlyn, and long may it last.
« Last Edit: Saturday, May 25, 2019, 15:13:55 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6077 on: Saturday, May 25, 2019, 16:15:18 »

The idea was that if the major European nations were trading with each other and economically interdependent, they would be less likely to go to war with each other. Yugoslavia was essentially an inter-ethnic civil war, rather than a war between established nation states (albeit some of the parties to the conflict had nominally become separate states shortly before, they were not fully established as separate nation states at the time of the conflict)
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #6078 on: Saturday, May 25, 2019, 19:10:09 »

I'd need a little bit more than that to be persuaded to join a Federal States of Europe though. What else please?

We no longer have pesky bent cucumbers
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #6079 on: Saturday, May 25, 2019, 19:20:39 »

We no longer have pesky bent cucumbers

Other than Nigel Farage

I come from a land down-under

Ignore
« Reply #6080 on: Saturday, May 25, 2019, 19:23:32 »

I find the fishing arguement utterly ridiculous. The seas are absolutely fucked how things are currently going, regardless of who can fish where. The fact is fish stocks are being decimated. Why do you think we have so many gulls and cormorants etc coming inland. Human consumption is destroying the oceans and it's inhabitants.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6081 on: Sunday, May 26, 2019, 15:57:09 »

Well that was pointless then:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/may/26/heidi-allen-says-change-uk-could-merge-with-liberal-democrats
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #6082 on: Sunday, May 26, 2019, 18:56:03 »

If Britain elects poll is correct, brexit party and Tory combined has 48% of the vote, which would not be a mandate for a hard, cliff edge brexit

Which is how Farage would tell it, I’m sure

Things get better but they never get good
Sir red ken

« Reply #6083 on: Sunday, May 26, 2019, 19:15:31 »

If Britain elects poll is correct, brexit party and Tory combined has 48% of the vote, which would not be a mandate for a hard, cliff edge brexit

Which is how Farage would tell it, I’m sure

Its a world trade Brexit. Hard and cliff edge are commie soundbites for the sheep to bleat.
Glad I could help correct your mis-understanding.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6084 on: Sunday, May 26, 2019, 20:18:23 »

Disappointing news of a split in the Lord Buckethead camp:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/may/26/lord-buckethead-double-trouble-theresa-may
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #6085 on: Tuesday, May 28, 2019, 10:05:48 »

Fishing is a complex industry, because fish move about in different territorial waters and stocks are not infinite, and tastes for types of fish vary between countries.

Love the confusion of this sentence.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #6086 on: Tuesday, May 28, 2019, 17:03:17 »

There is no possible compromise for Brexit. It’s either out with no deal or remain.

It’s so fucking obvious.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #6087 on: Tuesday, May 28, 2019, 18:38:20 »

There is no possible compromise for Brexit. It’s either out with no deal or remain.

It’s so fucking obvious.

Yep, get out and figure out how to carry on after.  Tough luck if it is painful, that's the point.  If people voted leave and didn't want that, tough shit, think harder next time.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #6088 on: Tuesday, May 28, 2019, 18:38:51 »

Say the two people who've abandoned ship
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6089 on: Wednesday, May 29, 2019, 09:44:15 »

The far right do like a woman-beater as their leaders don't they?

It's easy to miss the domestic violence in the exhaustive conviction list of the convicted drug dealer football hooligan mortgage fraudster wife beater Yaxley-Lennon (ta Tommy Robinson), and now convicted racist criminal Paul Golding, current leader of Britain First, is recorded fessing up to beating up his ex and one-time co-leader:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-48440464

It's almost like they've got something wrong with them isn't it?
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 405 [406] 407 408 409 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: