Pages: 1 ... 352 353 354 [355] 356 357 358 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2014675 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5310 on: Monday, March 18, 2019, 21:12:54 »

Once its done, I don't think you can expect to just walk back in can you?

To my mind, even if all that happened the EU would drive a hard bargain. We wouldn't be back in on our current terms. Hence I don't want it to happen.

I also think Parliament wouldn't admit its failure so quickly, then when they did they'd pin it on the people.

But mostly I don't buy the "doomsday scenario" portrayed. Some disruptions, sure, but  I think the really devastating effects of no deal would be felt 12-18 months after.

chalkies_shorts

« Reply #5311 on: Monday, March 18, 2019, 21:22:04 »

I'd be very happy with no deal but with 2 years planning not 10 days hence why I'd revoke article 50. The ultimate embarrassment would be for us to ask the EU for an extension and they tell us to fuck off, which I think they should do. We are clearly fucking clueless.
We really need to get our shit together before going back to the EU.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #5312 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2019, 00:18:05 »

Has anyone who doesn't have much of an agenda (because we all do, to a degree) tried to work out how the No Deal scenario would play out?  If there is severe disruption lasting more than a week or two, would No Deal not become politically untenable?  You might just see a few weeks of nonsense followed by a humiliating approach to be let back in.  In fact, if those arguing for this are so certain that No Deal is a catastrophe, should they not welcome the short term dislocation as the price to pay for having the option blow itself to pieces - and then an inevitable return to the EU?

Technically speaking, as we'd resume full control, the Govt. can decide to just ignore making any of the obvious changes, so can avoid the crash and burn aspect.  Just let people from the EU in with no new checks and risk them staying and taking our jobs or benefits, don't add any tariff's or custom checks and so on.  The problem of course is that does not deliver what we need, but it would give a General Election the chance to determine what steps the country wants next.  The only confirmed issue would be that we are OUT.  It would be nonsense to carry on adhering to all EU regs given we would be getting no benefits in return so the parties can lay out what new laws they'd put in place.

I think that is possible.  Even the hard Brexit people may take that as an option.

Of course the other option is the blow up the drawbridge and hope the people in Spain are looked after.
Combe Up

« Reply #5313 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2019, 06:22:05 »

What's the Speaker playing at? Was the matter voted on in the 2nd vote substantially different from the first?

Whatever, it strengthens the likelihood of leaving the EU on 29th March 2019 as we have been preparing for over the last 2 years.

How are you all planning to celebrate Independence Day?
« Last Edit: Tuesday, March 19, 2019, 06:24:06 by Combe Up » Logged
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #5314 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2019, 07:34:44 »

At the Winchester Arms, waiting for it to all blow over Pint
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5315 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2019, 07:41:20 »

Quote from: Combe Up
What's the Speaker playing at? Was the matter voted on in the 2nd vote substantially different from the first?

?

Ultimately in legal terms it wasn't. But the So called reassurances deserved debate and the vote

This time the only thing that changed was may threatening that Brexit would be massively delayed.

I think May will find a way to get round the issue and Brexit will be whatever it was always going to be, but I also think the speaker was correct.

You can't have this 'keep asking' approach every time something is voted down so emphatically.

she'll get her deal thorough.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5316 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2019, 07:42:35 »

Quote from: RedRag

you'll be a 90 year old raging alcoholic by then.

bet there are still picked eggs left though
Combe Up

« Reply #5317 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2019, 08:09:03 »

You can't have this 'keep asking' approach every time something is voted down so emphatically

Phew, no second referendum then.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #5318 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2019, 08:26:52 »

That depends on the whim of Bercow. I agree with what he's done but I think he's done it for all the wrong reasons.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #5319 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2019, 08:29:50 »

If I'm honest I'm just totally fucked off with the whole thing. The moral indignation from all sides is becoming nauseating.

It's All Good..............
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #5320 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2019, 08:56:12 »

We've already had the second referendum, silly!
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #5321 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2019, 08:56:40 »

Are Arthur Daley and Terry there?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5322 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2019, 09:12:09 »

We've already had the second referendum, silly!

And the first one was quite emphatic. In means in.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5323 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2019, 09:13:09 »

In case you were serious, I actually meant the same thing without changes.

We aren't getting a second referendum, I wouldn't worry.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #5324 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2019, 09:46:33 »

Are Arthur Daley and Terry there?
the missus won't be, but hoping Arfur and Tel will 'ave sorted the tariff-free Prosecco and Pilsners. Wink
Pages: 1 ... 352 353 354 [355] 356 357 358 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: