Pages: 1 ... 325 326 327 [328] 329 330 331 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2011883 times)
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #4905 on: Thursday, January 31, 2019, 13:50:17 »

Out of interest, can one of you clever know it alls on here explain how the border into Switzerland works? Is it an open border to France and Germany etc? What with it being surrounded by EU countries and not in the EU itself?

I know its not a similar comparison, but I'm curious about it.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4906 on: Thursday, January 31, 2019, 13:51:47 »

Out of interest, can one of you clever know it alls on here explain how the border into Switzerland works? Is it an open border to France and Germany etc? What with it being surrounded by EU countries and not in the EU itself?

I know its not a similar comparison, but I'm curious about it.

Switzerland is also in Schengen, but there are often queues at the border crossing points to check trucks etc. Of course when you've a population about the same size as London, that is less of a problem as fewer trucks are trying to get in... further domestic Swiss food production is about 60% of their needs, whereas in the UK its approx 50%.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #4907 on: Thursday, January 31, 2019, 14:04:41 »

It is a strange one.  Some of the suburbs of Geneva are in France, with the border running through the middle of a number of residential areas.  When we drove through one of the border crossings there a few summers ago, it all seemed very low key.  A bored Douanier waved us through from France in to Switzerland without looking up from his screen...although, to be fair, I wasn't driving a truck.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #4908 on: Sunday, February 3, 2019, 18:43:42 »

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/feb/03/nissan-confirms-new-x-trail-will-not-be-built-in-sunderland

Brexit voting Sunderland gets what it voted for.  Darwin Award in the post.

I shudder to think of the effect on the Swindon economy if Honda takes a similar view when the next significant investment decisions are taken.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #4909 on: Sunday, February 3, 2019, 19:02:21 »

I'm sure there will be some who will be knocking one out over this news.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #4910 on: Sunday, February 3, 2019, 19:10:46 »

There will be many more weeping at the senseless stupidity of it.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4911 on: Sunday, February 3, 2019, 19:16:02 »

I'm sure there will be some who will be knocking one out over this news.
Very much doubt it. Other than possibly Japanese car workers
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #4912 on: Sunday, February 3, 2019, 19:27:55 »

There will be many more weeping at the senseless stupidity of it.
There are quite a few who don't see it as senseless stupidity. In fact there are more who don't see it as such than do.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #4913 on: Sunday, February 3, 2019, 19:29:55 »

What do these people who are losing their jobs, with little immediate opportunity for like-for-like work to emerge, gain?

Things get better but they never get good
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #4914 on: Sunday, February 3, 2019, 19:39:29 »

There are quite a few who don't see it as senseless stupidity. In fact there are more who don't see it as such than do.

If the Nissan news is the beginning of a trend/pattern, my guess is that they soon will.  Positions are so entrenched, I know.  (I'm not immune.)  But facts/evidence on the ground will tell in the end.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4915 on: Sunday, February 3, 2019, 20:07:17 »

What do these people who are losing their jobs, with little immediate opportunity for like-for-like work to emerge, gain?

Many Brexiteers think that when the foreign owners move their operations out post Brexit, that nice Brits like Mr Dyson, Mr Branson or Mr Ashley will be able to set up car building plants, for patriots to buy the products, and so good will they be that the rest of the world will want them too.
Sir red ken

« Reply #4916 on: Sunday, February 3, 2019, 20:35:09 »

Many Brexiteers think that when the foreign owners move their operations out post Brexit, that nice Brits like Mr Dyson, Mr Branson or Mr Ashley will be able to set up car building plants, for patriots to buy the products, and so good will they be that the rest of the world will want them too.
Mr Branson is a remainer who wants us to live in the eu so long as he doesn't have to.
He doesn't make cars which is a blessing.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #4917 on: Sunday, February 3, 2019, 20:40:49 »

Err like used to happen? Be a nice shiny plant for someone to make Sunbeams again.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #4918 on: Sunday, February 3, 2019, 20:52:54 »

Do you remember hen the eastern bloc only had cars built in their own countries.  Lada's that sort of thing.

Is that where we're heading?  A nation of Austin Maestros?

Never knowingly overstated.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #4919 on: Sunday, February 3, 2019, 20:54:59 »

Do you remember hen the eastern bloc only had cars built in their own countries.  Lada's that sort of thing.

Is that where we're heading?  A nation of Austin Maestros?

Skoda used to be a laughing stock and now their cars are extremely popular all around Europe.

Perhaps that’s the route of the well loved Maestro. I’m sure SRK will be proudly driving his Maxi in a town near you soon. The St George Cross proudly waved out the passenger side window and his copy of the Daily Express on the passenger seat.
« Last Edit: Sunday, February 3, 2019, 21:03:03 by Bob's Orange » Logged

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Pages: 1 ... 325 326 327 [328] 329 330 331 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: