Pages: 1 ... 320 321 322 [323] 324 325 326 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1996171 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4830 on: Friday, January 18, 2019, 21:25:15 »

Its interesting that when WWII ended, one of the main aims of the incoming Atlee government was to dismantle the Empire, with that in mind they granted the right to come and live and work in the UK to any citizen of what we'd now call the Commonwealth, roughly a 1/4 of the planet's population  It was largely uncontroversial, and lasted until 1971

The thinking being, not many would bother, as the country we know has dodgy weather, largely cold damp and grey, the quality of housing which the Luftwaffe hadn't flattened, was poor. The industrial cities were highly polluted and healthcare was relatively primitive.

However there were those that did come like The Windrush generation, and it was noted that they made a valuable contribution to the reconstruction of the country and the development of the fledgling NHS.

After 71, it was a case that such an open door policy logically could not be sustained, and so restrictions were put in place.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #4831 on: Friday, January 18, 2019, 22:20:55 »

I’m moving to Greece in March - ahead of the glorious 29th. After 90 days I have to apply for a residency permit. I have to prove I have the financial means so as not to be a burden on Greece plus have valid health insurance.

The financial aspect is not just a Greek thing - it is a requirement for all EU members. Just why this hasn’t been implemented in the UK to control immigration I have no idea - would have made Brexit a non starter.

Obviously there was no political will to do so. Much easier to let the people vote, essentially on immigration, then for the Tories to appear racist by implementing existing policy.

Actually, this is partly an argument for Brexit as well as against!  Some people are annoyed they come and take "their" jobs - that would be sufficient to qualify as being able to sustain yourself financially.  The fact that "they" were both taking jobs and sponging at the same time was always confusing to me, but logic has no place in this argument anyway.  It's purely emotional- the UK has a culture of invasion - defending from or losing to.  That has no doubt created the fear, and then you have the 20th Century which is just within living memory where Europe is bad.  It surprises me that other EU countries seem able to get behind the idea (mostly), but that may come from having their borders moved around a lot, of having odd lines where languages change that are not the same as the country borders etc.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #4832 on: Saturday, January 19, 2019, 02:01:03 »

Looks like my mate farage will be back soon with a new party now that ukip are embracing Mr yaxley Lennon.

Been on the cards for a while between Banks & Farage. Sure I mentioned before, something along the lines of;

The Patriotic Alliance. Roll Eyes

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
ReadingRed

Pragmatist clapper

Ignore
« Reply #4833 on: Saturday, January 19, 2019, 10:24:00 »

Been on the cards for a while between Banks & Farage. Sure I mentioned before, something along the lines of;

The Patriotic Alliance. Roll Eyes

Unless the Met Police get to Banks first. Farage is already a Person of Interest in the Mueller investigation too.  Hmmm
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #4834 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2019, 20:08:06 »

So, what the actual fuck, other than carnage, is going to happen at the Irish border with a No Deal?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4835 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2019, 20:26:29 »

er, I'm sure it'll all be fine. Who needs the Good Friday agreement intact. I'm sure the Irish will understand...
REDBUCK

« Reply #4836 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2019, 20:32:45 »

So, what the actual fuck, other than carnage, is going to happen at the Irish border with a No Deal?

The Irish could just ignore the EU border regs and go with the Good Friday ones
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #4837 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2019, 20:36:08 »

But I presume the UK will want to stop all those scummy foreigners coming through the Irish border, no?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4838 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2019, 20:53:48 »

Arch Brexiter Dyson moving his HQ to Singapore. Gobshite hypocrite

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46962093
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4839 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2019, 20:58:54 »

Humph, Dyson was my software engineer retirement job plan.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #4840 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2019, 22:51:07 »

https://twitter.com/nick_gutteridge/status/1087674720412200961?s=21 - The EU's view

https://twitter.com/KevDoyle_Indo/status/1087739489974403072 - Ireland's view
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #4841 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2019, 22:52:01 »

But I presume the UK will want to stop all those scummy foreigners coming through the Irish border, no?

We'll just get other foreigners instead!

https://mobile.twitter.com/lisaocarroll/status/1087363097281601536
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #4842 on: Wednesday, January 23, 2019, 10:41:34 »

Arch Brexiter Dyson moving his HQ to Singapore. Gobshite hypocrite

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46962093

No concerns about Dyson's astuteness

What the BBC article fails to mention is that Dyson took 16m. in subsidies from the British taxpayer in connection with the development of his electric vehicles and at a time when, coincidentally or not, there was a possibility that some of that manufacturing may take place here in the UK.

Dyson had contended in 2017 that "No Deal" tariffs would not be a big factor for his trade.  Since then, the EU has concluded a trade deal enabling zero tariff exports from Singapore to Europe. If the UK does indeed crash out with a "No Deal" in 9 weeks time, then tarrif-free exports from Singapore to the EU from a UK HQ'd could be lost.  Is this timing and the loss of a great EU:Singapore trade deal co-incidental?

It strikes me as very lazy, Adver-standard journalism that the BBC simply regurgitates a Dyson press release so far as the reasons for the move are concerned as if it was just about "Asia is the future" and a symbolical new brass plate abroad.  Also "minimal differences" in tax?  Dyson's lawyers and accountants will have been pouring over this.

Tbf, he still does employ 4k in R&D etc here.  He is a great, innovative businessman. But when it comes to business or patriotism, he follows the money just like any other multinational corporate.  In this case, Singapore and its shiny new trade deal with the EU, seem to look better regardless of what he might have said about "no deal" in the past.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, January 23, 2019, 10:48:08 by RedRag » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4843 on: Wednesday, January 23, 2019, 10:51:26 »

Brexit related or not it's likely not a great sign for long term r&d in the UK.

I know for a fact that on the vacuum/hand dryer/robotics side done senior UK staff are reporting to Singapore, a change made a few months ago
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4844 on: Wednesday, January 23, 2019, 12:04:21 »

Brexit related or not it's likely not a great sign for long term r&d in the UK.

Not sure about that... in the UK we still produce creative thinkers, in arts, science and technologies, but it's axiomatic that there are not so many of them. 

It's the manufacturing element that has deserted, which is why those jobs have gone East, and created the precariat, which is growing and will continue to grow with the right's view of Brexit being introduced.

The threat to the R and D, comes from a further emboldenment of the right..... you didn't get too many creative types hanging about in 30's/40's Germany.
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 322 [323] 324 325 326 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: