Pages: 1 ... 316 317 318 [319] 320 321 322 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2014310 times)
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #4770 on: Thursday, January 17, 2019, 14:40:10 »

Only if you exclude the don't knows and people who say they wouldn't vote. Survation have it at 51/49 in favour of remain. The country is still split down the middle.

Survation results here - https://www.survation.com/new-survation-polling-12-01-19/

Bit left field, this, I know, but maybe some sort of compromise might be the way forward?  Someone should tell Theresa.
Sir red ken

« Reply #4771 on: Thursday, January 17, 2019, 14:40:36 »

In any case the 70s/80s were shit if you were poor.

We had to rent a TV, one that you had to put 50ps in to work that had an uncanny knack of knowing when the best bit was on and shit itself off. Peak timing too, when you had to knock the neighbors door because you had to change a pound note.

Who wants to go back to that.

we were in the eu during the 70's & 80's
The trouble is the extreme left can't see anything but how good the eu is, because they have even bigger government sucking cash from their pockets.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #4772 on: Thursday, January 17, 2019, 14:57:52 »

Bit left field, this, I know, but maybe some sort of compromise might be the way forward?  Someone should tell Theresa.

Don't matter, the big shift is this Saturday apparently  Cheesy Hmmm Hmmm

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jan/17/saturday-uk-remain-parliament-force-second-referendum
« Last Edit: Thursday, January 17, 2019, 14:59:45 by horlock07 » Logged
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #4773 on: Thursday, January 17, 2019, 14:59:09 »

We had to rent a TV, one that you had to put 50ps in to work that had an uncanny knack of knowing when the best bit was on and shit itself off. Peak timing too, when you had to knock the neighbors door because you had to change a pound note.

we were in the eu during the 70's & 80's
The trouble is the extreme left can't see anything but how good the eu is, because they have even bigger government sucking cash from their pockets.

The trouble is the extreme right cannot use the quote tool or write coherently?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4774 on: Thursday, January 17, 2019, 15:12:24 »

That's because he's mislaid his WordPerfect keyboard template.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #4775 on: Thursday, January 17, 2019, 15:16:21 »

That's because he's mislaid his WordPerfect keyboard template.

Cheesy
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4776 on: Thursday, January 17, 2019, 15:30:34 »

Any time is shit if you are poor... but what was wrong with renting a TV, if it stopped working you just got a new one.

I remember the 70's and 80's as a golden age.... such creativity springing out of unpromising working class environments, just think music and football.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4777 on: Thursday, January 17, 2019, 15:32:32 »

it was tongue in cheek reg. though having a TV that ran on 50p red a PITA
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4778 on: Thursday, January 17, 2019, 15:53:58 »

it was tongue in cheek reg. though having a TV that ran on 50p red a PITA

I see. The main problem with TV, was seen as somewhat limited choice, however it did mean that some absolute gold was produced amongst the dross.   

Now I've got loads of channels, which I  don't actually want, but was told by the provider that I couldn't have my desired choice of only 5 channels, as had always been the case.

OK times change but there is nothing but bilge,  having said that the i-player is a decent innovation, especially when they stick up classics like Kenneth Clarke's Civilisation and the great Ian Nairn's Across Britain
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #4779 on: Thursday, January 17, 2019, 17:36:55 »

That is a statement not a question.  

Just in case you ever feel the urge to write coherently......
« Last Edit: Thursday, January 17, 2019, 17:39:27 by Pax Romana » Logged
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #4780 on: Thursday, January 17, 2019, 17:39:12 »

Look, they speak funny and eat strange food. That’s all it is!

Intrinsically, we don’t trust ‘em! My God, they don’t even play cricket - the cloggies do a bit - but you get my drift.

That's just not cricket  Wink

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #4781 on: Thursday, January 17, 2019, 17:45:37 »

It's certainly an attitude ingrained in 'The Establishment'.
Just have a look at all of the verses of the National Anthem and Rule Britannia for starters.

And what Audrey said.  Smiley

I'm pretty certain the rest of Europe (as well as all EU Member States), actually feel embarrassingly sorry for the UK. The UK is the equivalent of Ronald McDonald Trump, whereby the line of thinking is we're this all important entity and everyone else is going "please just take a look in the mirror and realise you aren't perfect." The only difference is we most definitely do not have "...many, many fries."

'Incessant Nonsense'

BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #4782 on: Thursday, January 17, 2019, 17:52:18 »

You Sir sell the nation short.  They had a guy on the radio this morning harping back to 1945. Not sure if he was actually old enough to remember it, but that didn't deter him.

Exactly!
---------------------

Yeah my parents had the "50p TV" and the old dial electric meter that consumed 50s like the Cookie Monster. Think they were still in when I was born. Saying that our main TV was black & white  "grain effect" one, up until about 1993.

Please check in with Exiled Bob though because I believe he sold my Dad the TV, so will confirm for certain.*

*Don't, I'm being a dick.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #4783 on: Thursday, January 17, 2019, 18:03:15 »

The inaction and uncertainty has now become more damaging than even a no-deal Brexit.  We should leave and simply work the problem through.  It would be painful in the short term but it would end.  Continuing the current dithering in search of the non-existent 'good' solution will be equally painful but with no end.

I think that if a second referendum was held then the Remain vote would probably prevail.  Clearly there will be some who will switch to 'remain' but what isn't so obvious is whether an equally significant volume of original 'remain' voters would also switch, either on a point of principle or because they believe that we have gone too far down the road to have any credibility in staying.

I think I would switch to 'leave' although voting with Boris and JR-M would be a strain.

Difficult to see how a reversal of the original result would be anything other than hugely divisive for years to come.
ReadingRed

Pragmatist clapper

Ignore
« Reply #4784 on: Thursday, January 17, 2019, 18:18:43 »

Have you been following the Brexit debate at all? The Corbynistas, trots and the far left are even more rabidly anti-EU than the right. They see the EU as a capitalist conspiracy.

As for the EU government sucking cash from your pocket, check out your tax return some time. The tiny sliver at the top of the pie chart called UK Contribution to the EU Budget.

It costs me 59p per week.
« Last Edit: Thursday, January 17, 2019, 18:36:26 by ReadingRed » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 316 317 318 [319] 320 321 322 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: