Pages: 1 ... 211 212 213 [214] 215 216 217 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2016364 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #3195 on: Monday, April 30, 2018, 12:55:36 »

I thought the lie was about the setting of % targets of illegal immigrant deportation, not Windrush. Windrush was a "mistake". Only even the lie wasn't a lie, merely "misleading"...

Ah well, apologies if I have it wrong.

edit: BBC reads like that too
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-43945768/amber-rudd-why-has-the-home-secretary-resigned
-------
So it still seems to me she has fallen on her sword over not telling the truth on targets. Not the actual targets themself, not Windrush.

Controversial, shouldn't illegal immigrants be deported ASAP?
Not asylum seekers.
Not legal immigrants.  The illegal ones.

Of course its never that simple I suppose
http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/11883712.Facebook_campaign_as_Swindon_coffee_bride_faces_deportation/
The initial problem was that having set targets to increase deportations, the Home Office responded not by being better at finding genuine illegals but instead being more pedantic over documentation etc so they could widen the net to include more people, which was always going to result in wholesale injustice but it's OK as long as you're meeting your targets and no-one kicks up a fuss. So that was the policy problem, actually mainly caused by Teresa May's "hostile environment" policy which Rudd just continued. But that's not why she had to resign. She resigned because she lied about the targets, repeatedly and badly, because they made the Home Office look bad, because it's a shitty policy and she didn't want to look bad. As with most of these things, it's not the initial failing, it's the attempt to cover it up that does for them.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #3196 on: Monday, April 30, 2018, 13:33:03 »

Incidentally, in an age in which we are all quite cynical about the media, the whole fiasco is a very good example of why a strong independent free press is so important in holding government to account in a democracy. Which is why demagogues like Trump and Erdogan always attack the press and the judiciary.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #3197 on: Monday, April 30, 2018, 13:49:28 »

Incidentally, in an age in which we are all quite cynical about the media, the whole fiasco is a very good example of why a strong independent free press is so important in holding government to account in a democracy. Which is why demagogues like Trump and Erdogan always attack the press and the judiciary.

Although gets rather murky when you note that the journalist who did so much to break the story and ultimately lead to Rudds resignation and Mays embarrassment is Amelia Gentleman, wife of the Transport Secretary Jo Johnson and sister in Law of Boris Johnson.....
Flashheart

« Reply #3198 on: Monday, April 30, 2018, 13:55:58 »

The media do have their uses. Still a bunch of cunts, though.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #3199 on: Monday, April 30, 2018, 14:34:53 »

Similar to the aspiration to bomb Syria for humanitarian reasons, but then vote against taking in orphaned children from the same conflict.... Oh and supplying bombs and weapons to Saudi Arabia to bomb Yemen killing civilians and kids....

The Vicars daughter has a very skewed moral compass.....

While not directly related, I did find myself recently pondering the absurdity that Jacob Rees-Mogg considers himself to be a Christian.  You're booking a one way trip to Hades, mate.  I've seen your voting record.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #3200 on: Monday, April 30, 2018, 14:35:39 »

https://rsf.org/en/ranking

We're a bottom half championship club in the press freedom rankings
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #3201 on: Monday, April 30, 2018, 14:39:47 »

https://rsf.org/en/ranking

We're a bottom half championship club in the press freedom rankings

Fucking Power, no ambition in his Press Freedom Rankings...... Cheesy
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #3202 on: Monday, April 30, 2018, 15:08:44 »

Furthermore.... Jerenemy Hunt sends farewell tweet to former HS...

'...She will be missed until she is back which she will be!'

https://twitter.com/Jeremy_Hunt/status/990830664823042054

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #3203 on: Monday, April 30, 2018, 15:34:31 »

I notice the gammon on social media are getting very het up as our new Home Secretary is a scary Muslim.....
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #3204 on: Monday, April 30, 2018, 15:42:11 »

gammon ... our new Home Secretary is a scary Muslim.....

Surely pigs should be rejoicing.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #3205 on: Monday, April 30, 2018, 22:03:36 »

Peers in the House of Lords have voted 335-244 (a majority of 91) for cross-party amendment to the E.U Withdrawal Bill.

As Terry Pratchett said: We live in interesting times.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #3206 on: Tuesday, May 1, 2018, 06:13:15 »

Can that be overturned by the commons, out is that just lawmaking matters?

I assume the leaves are moaning at this bit of democracy interrupting the democratic process that was the referendum..
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #3207 on: Tuesday, May 1, 2018, 08:15:16 »

Can that be overturned by the commons, out is that just lawmaking matters?

I assume the leaves are moaning at this bit of democracy interrupting the democratic process that was the referendum..
Yes the people who spent the whole referendum campaign declaring "Parliament must be sovereign" (in between the lies about NHS funding and dogwhistle racism on immigration) are now beside themselves at the prospect of Parliament being sovereign. How very dare they!

TBF, if MPs and Lords do combine to attempt to overturn Brexit, that would be an outrageous negation of the referendum outcome, whatever you think of that outcome.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3208 on: Tuesday, May 1, 2018, 08:16:34 »

Peers in the House of Lords have voted 335-244 (a majority of 91) for cross-party amendment to the E.U Withdrawal Bill.

As I underestand it, if the H o C voted not to accept the government's final negotiation, then it would be staright over the cliff edge to no deal.

This amendment now means, if the H o C votes not to accept the government's terms for Brexit, they'll have to go back to Bruxelles for more talks.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #3209 on: Tuesday, May 1, 2018, 08:20:48 »

As I underestand it, if the H o C voted not to accept the government's final negotiation, then it would be staright over the cliff edge to no deal.

This amendment now means, if the H o C votes not to accept the government's terms for Brexit, they'll have to go back to Bruxelles for more talks.
It's more open-ended than that. They can instruct the govt to resume negotiations or they can scrap the whole thing, call for another referendum or do whatever they like. It gives Parliament the ability to either stall Brexit indefinitely or even try to overturn it all together.
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 213 [214] 215 216 217 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: