Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1996454 times)
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #255 on: Thursday, February 26, 2015, 12:21:14 »

Considering your previous comments on political issues I'm surprised you could consider voting for a party which seems to represent the complete opposite of your personal views. You hate the Tories yet will you vote for an even worse option?
arriba, i know its a strange one as I'm a Labour man but the biggest issue for me is Europe, their creeping federalisation and the arrogance of knowing better than anyone.....even Ed Balls. I suppose one of the plusses of never being elected or accountable to anyone.
I'm not particularly bothered about immigration. If we have a let all come in policy then let it be our policy - not a dictat from Europe.
I'm not bothered about sovereignty as I'd happilliy put the Queen in a council house in Halifax or even better next door to Thor.
I'm not against Europe - I'm anti EU. I'm quite happy to trade freely with them as originally signed up for.
For me its about having more control of our own destiny.
I know this will be controversial buit I'd happilly be more aligned to the USA than Europe, althuogh preferably neither.
Labour used to be the anti EU party.
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: Thursday, February 26, 2015, 13:03:47 »

Yes...often forgotten that. Labour, up untill 1988, had a proud history of opposing membership of the EEC/EU project. Particularly Hugh Gaitskell who was (and remains) the only leader to see properly the project for what it is.

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: Thursday, March 5, 2015, 10:53:03 »

Imagine being prime minister and be actively trying to avoid debating Ed sodding Milliband.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: Thursday, March 5, 2015, 11:27:53 »

Imagine being prime minister and be actively trying to avoid debating Ed sodding Milliband.

And then trying to give an air of legitimacy to the raving nutters on the far right of your party who are fleeing like rats by insisting they appear in the debate.
Red and Proud

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: Thursday, March 5, 2015, 22:01:16 »

arriba, i know its a strange one as I'm a Labour man but the biggest issue for me is Europe, their creeping federalisation and the arrogance of knowing better than anyone.....even Ed Balls. I suppose one of the plusses of never being elected or accountable to anyone.
I'm not particularly bothered about immigration. If we have a let all come in policy then let it be our policy - not a dictat from Europe.
I'm not bothered about sovereignty as I'd happilliy put the Queen in a council house in Halifax or even better next door to Thor.
I'm not against Europe - I'm anti EU. I'm quite happy to trade freely with them as originally signed up for.
For me its about having more control of our own destiny.
I know this will be controversial buit I'd happilly be more aligned to the USA than Europe, althuogh preferably neither.

I nearly agree with you.

Where I disagree.

Believe it or not the Royal family bring in far more than they cost in terms of £'s & standing within the world. Getting rid of them and becoming a republic would IMHO be a retrograde step, the commonwealth would also suffer.

Unfettered immigration had been detrimental on so many levels to everyone, not least the unskilled working class that labour new or old has purported to represent. Not withstanding the amount of undesirable scum that has entered via Europe and the world at large and is underminding our way of life and pissing in our faces. The human rights act also needs to be repealed.

Europe is my beef massively. Corrupt. Anti competive, full of ex communists, un elected beaurocrats pissing billions of € & our £'s Down the drain. The scaremongering by certain political & vested interested individuals WRT jobs and business. As a child of an immigrant myself I fully support immigration, however this needs checks and balances and I have to say that Ukip is offering millions of disenfranchised voters of ALL sides a voice whether mainstream politics like it or not. It is the fault of mainstream politics and the political elite over the years that Ukip have and are gaining critical mass and why the broad sheets as well as red tops report regular smear and scare stories. This is to maintain the status quo, which brings us all in to line as good little subserviant citizens of the system.
« Last Edit: Thursday, March 5, 2015, 22:05:27 by Red and Proud » Logged
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: Friday, March 13, 2015, 09:19:51 »

Eight weeks out from a general election, and the main political story of the day (according to the main broadsheets) is what Ed Miliband's kitchen looks like.

Jesus wept.  And they wonder why people are turning away from politics.
kerry red

« Reply #261 on: Friday, March 13, 2015, 09:55:27 »

Negative campaigning as usual.

Nobody has actually got any new, exciting policies so it all disintegrates into scaremongering, ya boo sucks to you politics.

A curse on all their mansions
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: Friday, March 13, 2015, 10:10:22 »

It's worse than that though.  I try to get a balanced view of most stories, so have got in to the habit of visiting the Telegraph site followed immediately by the Guardian - and they're as bad as each other.  Stuff like this is no more than gossip.  It's truly pathetic.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #263 on: Friday, March 13, 2015, 10:11:04 »

Whichever party advocates on the spot fines for people who walk whilst - using mobile phones/reading newspapers/books/watching films/tv programmes on their ipads gets my vote.

Fines should be doubled for doing this on train platforms and/or steps.

I think I've already mentioned this in the irritates me thread.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: Friday, March 13, 2015, 10:49:49 »

Eight weeks out from a general election, and the main political story of the day (according to the main broadsheets) is what Ed Miliband's kitchen looks like.

Jesus wept.  And they wonder why people are turning away from politics.

I've had a look at my Guardian, and can find a headline story, about how invasive surveillance of people's personal data will get a complete overhaul....and inside how Labour is proposing to give Ofgem powers to cut fuel bills if elected, and a massive Tory privatisation plan for the NHS.

I don't think you can turn away from politics, but you can fail to see what is going on around you....
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #265 on: Friday, March 13, 2015, 11:41:03 »

Not saying there is an absence of serious debate, Reg.  Just that the irrelevant gossip/twattery is given undue prominence.

Both the Guardian and the Telegraph have the picture of the Milibands in their kitchenette at the very top of their respective web pages at the moment.  The Telegraph leads with the 'story' (in the Guardian, it's second) - and they even have an informative follow up piece on how Kate Middleton also has a second kitchen.

It's worse than pathetic.  These are two of the leading broadsheets/serious news outlets.  And they've turned in to comics.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: Friday, March 13, 2015, 11:55:18 »

Not saying there is an absence of serious debate, Reg.  Just that the irrelevant gossip/twattery is given undue prominence.

Both the Guardian and the Telegraph have the picture of the Milibands in their kitchenette at the very top of their respective web pages at the moment.  The Telegraph leads with the 'story' (in the Guardian, it's second) - and they even have an informative follow up piece on how Kate Middleton also has a second kitchen.

It's worse than pathetic.  These are two of the leading broadsheets/serious news outlets.  And they've turned in to comics.

Not in the hard copy.....maybe it's something to do with the perceived audience.  The Guardian last year won the Pulitzer prize for public service....due to its work on exposing the kinds of activities undertaken by the security services....which suggests to me it's still a serious newspaper.  However, to survive in this post modern world, you can't be too po-faced...so it does throw in some bollocks.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #267 on: Friday, March 13, 2015, 12:00:43 »

I don't think you can turn away from politics, but you can fail to see what is going on around you....
Yes, although that process can be aided by having your attention redirected elsewhere
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #268 on: Friday, March 13, 2015, 12:41:21 »

Not saying there is an absence of serious debate, Reg.  Just that the irrelevant gossip/twattery is given undue prominence.

Both the Guardian and the Telegraph have the picture of the Milibands in their kitchenette at the very top of their respective web pages at the moment.  The Telegraph leads with the 'story' (in the Guardian, it's second) - and they even have an informative follow up piece on how Kate Middleton also has a second kitchen.

It is the most uninspiring election campaign of my life so far, and I think this is part of the medias problem with it. Instead of any policies its just tit for tat rubbish, take the last PMQ's on one hand we have Milliband banging on about debates (something which incumbent parties always shy away from - seem to remember Cameron baiting Brown similarly last time), and in response we have Cameron banging on about what Labour may do after the election.

I can understand why the media are looking for other stories, Millibands second kitchen looks quite nice, although green basket..... really!
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #269 on: Thursday, March 26, 2015, 21:14:24 »

Anyone watching the channel 4 not quite a debate? Cameron struggling, Paxman is going in strong. Think Milliband may be a little nervous...
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: