Pages: 1 ... 162 163 164 [165] 166 167 168 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2013220 times)
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #2460 on: Saturday, July 1, 2017, 15:30:36 »

I see various government agencies are starting to get a bit fretful about air pollution caused by cars/lorries etc.

Apparently about 40,000 people a year die prematurely due to ailments associated with this.... it's estimated that the cost to the NHS runs into 10's of billions.

Some of the worst offenders are apparently people on the school run, who sit outside the school with engines idling... children being particularly susceptible to the malign consequences of pollution. With this in mind, it is being proposd that there should be a spot fine for this offence.

In Swindon, you can see strategically placed air pollution monitoring stations, but you never hear about the results.... however go and sit up on Liddington on a still winter's day and you can see a layer of photochemical smog lurking over the town and stretching away down the VWH.

I don't suppose our two esteemed MP's give a shit mind.

You can get the results by contacting the Environmental Protection section at SBC. Should disclose without an FOI.  A few years ago, Kingshill Rd was an area causing concern and there was some talk of rerouting buses to alleviate. Talk being the operative word. Doubt much has changed
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #2461 on: Saturday, July 1, 2017, 19:23:24 »

Did strike me as essentially a bit of a protest against democracy today.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #2462 on: Saturday, July 1, 2017, 20:55:39 »

Agree with the above. Was in Piccadilly Circus as they walked by. Something bizzare about an anti austerity protest going past the m&m store

Things get better but they never get good
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #2463 on: Sunday, July 2, 2017, 08:43:00 »

Did strike me as essentially a bit of a protest against democracy today.

How's that?  The only party that stood on a platform of support for continuing with austerity was the Conservatives, and they polled 42% of the vote.  So 58% voted for parties that were either against austerity or neutral.  Yet another example of the distortion produced by First Past the Post.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #2464 on: Sunday, July 2, 2017, 10:07:27 »

Yet another example of the distortion produced by First Past the Post.

100% agree, I hate FPTP
Mister Lorenzo
Dirk Diggler

Ignore
« Reply #2465 on: Sunday, July 2, 2017, 11:00:55 »

How's that?  The only party that stood on a platform of support for continuing with austerity was the Conservatives, and they polled 42% of the vote.  So 58% voted for parties that were either against austerity or neutral.  Yet another example of the distortion produced by First Past the Post.

What's your point?
They still polled more of the vote than any other single party.
It seems to me and it was the same with Brexit, that you didn't get the result you were personally hoping for and think that by protesting it will somehow change the result!!

It's the spoilt kid syndrome, I didn't get what I wanted so I'll scream and scream until I'm sick (a reference to a TV program for the older generation)
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #2466 on: Sunday, July 2, 2017, 12:50:56 »

Or exercising a democratic right to protest and/or make you opposition known?
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #2467 on: Sunday, July 2, 2017, 12:53:42 »

What's your point?
They still polled more of the vote than any other single party.
It seems to me and it was the same with Brexit, that you didn't get the result you were personally hoping for and think that by protesting it will somehow change the result!!

It's the spoilt kid syndrome, I didn't get what I wanted so I'll scream and scream until I'm sick (a reference to a TV program for the older generation)
That's a stupid comparison.  The Brexit vote was a clear choice between two options. Out of those that could be bothered to vote, Brexit won. I was against Brexit but have to abide by the majority vote, as much as I think it's a fucking car crash.
Austerity is something totally different and, as mentioned in a previous post, doesn't have a mandate from the majority of voters. The Tories rely on the feeble minded to keep voting for them, ably supported by white rags like the mail, sun and torygraph with their scare stories and 'fact manipulation'.

It's All Good..............
Mister Lorenzo
Dirk Diggler

Ignore
« Reply #2468 on: Sunday, July 2, 2017, 13:43:02 »

That's a stupid comparison.  The Brexit vote was a clear choice between two options. Out of those that could be bothered to vote, Brexit won. I was against Brexit but have to abide by the majority vote, as much as I think it's a fucking car crash.
Austerity is something totally different and, as mentioned in a previous post, doesn't have a mandate from the majority of voters. The Tories rely on the feeble minded to keep voting for them, ably supported by white rags like the mail, sun and torygraph with their scare stories and 'fact manipulation'.

Again, you don't get the result that YOU wanted and you think that you're right and everyone else is wrong!!
Take your head out of your arse and accept the result and try and get the result you want next time snowflake....
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #2469 on: Sunday, July 2, 2017, 13:59:26 »

Cunt

Things get better but they never get good
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #2470 on: Sunday, July 2, 2017, 14:25:36 »

Had to look up snowflake in terms of it's current in vogue usage.

Nah, not good. Hopefully the increasing rarity of proper winters means that the current derogatory term doesn't eventually replace it's proper descriptive meaning.

"It's all bollocks" sums it up for me.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #2471 on: Sunday, July 2, 2017, 20:13:09 »

The argument of "you lost, get over it" is so fucking banal it's not even worth debating. Especially when used in the defence of democracy. Shall we all just stop talking about politics till the next general election then? How bizarre.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2472 on: Sunday, July 2, 2017, 20:21:42 »

Like the term "snowflake", it seems to be an import from the American right. Don't think our political discourse, fucked though it may be in many ways, needs any direction from them. We've seen where that leads
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #2473 on: Monday, July 3, 2017, 07:29:05 »

Like the term "snowflake", it seems to be an import from the American right. Don't think our political discourse, fucked though it may be in many ways, needs any direction from them. We've seen where that leads

The irony is that Snowflake was originally a term used to the hard right to throw at those who did not agree with them, however evidence has shown that the biggest snowflakes of all seem to be located within the hard right as shown by their poster boy Donny T.

Sadly most to the right don't understand what irony means, although they tend to concentrate on the IASEF mantra which has got them do far in life and will sustain them till their dying day.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2474 on: Monday, July 3, 2017, 10:56:44 »

Fucking Johnson and Gove still playing internal Tory party politics with what are actually serious issues to most people. This time they're fucking around with pretending to support relaxing the pay cap to put pressure on Hammond (because he's said he won't allow more borrowing and they're trying to crack on it can be done without raising taxes). These two fucking clowns already gambled the nation's future on the Brexit debacle to further their own worthless careers, and they're still at it. They never learn, despicable shits the pair of them.
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 164 [165] 166 167 168 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: