Pages: 1 ... 136 137 138 [139] 140 141 142 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2012609 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2070 on: Friday, October 7, 2016, 16:02:17 »

as is holding a referendum on the something that nobody knows what the hell we are doing after.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #2071 on: Friday, October 7, 2016, 16:05:16 »

No it's not. People, businesses, governments make plans for uncertain outcomes every day. That's exactly HOW you deal with uncertainty - by planning for what you might do in the event of multiple uncertain outcomes. Not having a plan for such a major "leap into the unknown" is criminally irresponsible.
Alternatively you are called David Cameron, present one side of an argument, lose the argument, tuck your ball under your arm and stomp off. No preparation whatsoever from our prime minister as the vote was never ever meant to go brexit.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2072 on: Friday, October 7, 2016, 16:06:21 »

Nigel is happy in his work.
Amir

« Reply #2073 on: Friday, October 7, 2016, 16:07:54 »

No it's not. People, businesses, governments make plans for uncertain outcomes every day. That's exactly HOW you deal with uncertainty - by planning for what you might do in the event of multiple uncertain outcomes. Not having a plan for such a major "leap into the unknown" is criminally irresponsible.

I'm not so sure in this circumstance, with so much based on negotiations I think it was better to let the dust settle. If the vote had led to immediate withdrawal, then fair enough.

Besides, I watched the whole thing from afar and should have done the same with this discussion  Grin
adje

Ignore
« Reply #2074 on: Friday, October 7, 2016, 16:13:49 »

Now somewhat further away than I was, but that's by the by.

As I said earlier the big problem is finding out information that is independent and not biased, the article you have linked actually seems to get to the crux of the issue in that its just extracting another fossil fuel to be burnt which is a whole different argument.

As with many nationally important decisions successive governments rather than adopting a policy on the matter are just sitting on their hands expecting it to be controlled through the planning system which is entirely the wrong place to do it, if we don't want fracking as a nation well just ban it, however from what I know about the case (And this is purely professional interest on the planning side) is that it should never have been refused by the Council on planning grounds in the first place.

I also probably bit a little regarding the idea of planning committees being democratic after a long meeting yesterday with another council where democracy regarding planning matters is very obviously not there, where a member of the public of influence is imposing their views on a scheme and the Council are just giving them carte blanche.......

Fair enough but in this case i think the main protesters were not so much "people of influence"  as ordinary local concerned people

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #2075 on: Friday, October 7, 2016, 16:14:03 »

Nigel is happy in his work.

We're only making plans for Nigel
He has his future in a British steel
We're only making plans for Nigel
Nigel's whole future is as good as sealed
Ironically prophetic as we now have no steel industry.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #2076 on: Friday, October 7, 2016, 16:21:00 »

Well Nissan is certainly planning for how to deal with uncertainty - imo it will end up getting some subsidy funded by the good old (now migrant-free) British taxpayer - and this will be described as investment in British manufacturing
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2077 on: Friday, October 7, 2016, 16:30:38 »

Alternatively you are called David Cameron, present one side of an argument, lose the argument, tuck your ball under your arm and stomp off. No preparation whatsoever from our prime minister as the vote was never ever meant to go brexit.
Yes of course. The criminally irresponsible failure to plan applies to both sides.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #2078 on: Friday, October 7, 2016, 16:34:27 »

Ironically prophetic as we now have no steel industry.
I rather think that's the point of it...
Amir

« Reply #2079 on: Friday, October 7, 2016, 16:35:20 »

Well Nissan is certainly planning for how to deal with uncertainty - imo it will end up getting some subsidy funded by the good old (now migrant-free) British taxpayer - and this will be described as investment in British manufacturing

Nissan getting subsidies you say??? That's unheard of.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #2080 on: Friday, October 7, 2016, 18:53:42 »

You are quite right.  I should have said "additional subsidies" and also  clarified "in the event of a hard brexit".

In that event, the UK would then be a sovereign Kingdom once again, free to have its taxpayers compensate Nissan or alternatively subsidise unemployment on Wearside.

jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #2081 on: Friday, October 7, 2016, 19:06:08 »

The first 10 minutes of this is an interesting listen

Brilliant. Thanks.
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #2082 on: Saturday, October 8, 2016, 10:19:34 »

Not for the hardcore like you who'd always wanted to leave maybe, but there's plenty of evidence it had an impact on undecided's. It was a key plank of the Leave campaign propaganda, despite the key figures all trying to distance themselves from it as soon as they realised they might have to deliver on it, and it was just an out and out lie.

Post referendum analysis, and analysis on the night itself by BBC and ITV, showed by a big margin democracy was the biggest reason for the leave vote followed by a distant second immigration. The economy and costs didn't register which is why the economic FUD (fear, uncertain doubt) tactics used by the remain campaign failed.

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #2083 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 08:50:28 »

I am rapidly beginning to reach the conclusion that I just don't understand modern new politics where principles seem to have bee entirely replaced with keeping ones power at all costs.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/snoopers-charter-investigatory-powers-bill-labour-abstain-shami-chakrabarti-jeremy-corbyn-diane-a7355301.html

Chakrabarti is delivering a beautiful case study in how to build a fine and principled reputation over many years and then proceed to destroy it once ones nose is in the trough in about 3 weeks, would love to be a fly on the wall next time she joins her former colleagues at Liberty for after work drinks.... 
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #2084 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 09:03:09 »

I am rapidly beginning to reach the conclusion that I just don't understand modern new politics where principles seem to have bee entirely replaced with keeping ones power at all costs.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/snoopers-charter-investigatory-powers-bill-labour-abstain-shami-chakrabarti-jeremy-corbyn-diane-a7355301.html

Chakrabarti is delivering a beautiful case study in how to build a fine and principled reputation over many years and then proceed to destroy it once ones nose is in the trough in about 3 weeks, would love to be a fly on the wall next time she joins her former colleagues at Liberty for after work drinks....
Hence my view of her being loathsome, which she is reinforcing quite nicely. 
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 138 [139] 140 141 142 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: