Pages: 1 ... 124 125 126 [127] 128 129 130 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2017477 times)
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #1890 on: Monday, July 11, 2016, 15:04:50 »

I really don't get people moaning about a lack of democracy, we vote for a local politician to represent our area - the fact everyone chooses to vote by colours is irrelevant, the leader of that party and hence PM isn't anywhere near the ballot paper.

Agreed, that in certain areas people would vote for a turd if it was decorated with a red or blue rosette.

However a large percentage of so called swing voters or undecideds would also look at the quality of the person putting themselves forward as PM, with, rghtly or wrongly, "strength" being the perceived and preferred quality of choice for being the right "leader".

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1891 on: Monday, July 11, 2016, 15:34:46 »

Interestingly May becomes the 13th PM in the reign of QE II.....I'm surprised it's quite so many, but I've been alive for all of them. 9 Tories and 4 Labour. My favourite was Churchill  Smiley
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #1892 on: Monday, July 11, 2016, 15:53:14 »

Churchill.

Pah. Sold out Eastern Europe and the very country that Britain went to war over.

Exactly the same sort of appeasement that Chamberlain was villified for, except this time it was to Uncle Joe.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1893 on: Monday, July 11, 2016, 16:10:03 »

Pah. Sold out Eastern Europe and the very country that Britain went to war over.

Exactly the same sort of appeasement that Chamberlain was villified for, except this time it was to Uncle Joe.

It perhaps took a while but Poland was eventually liberated so that its young men and women could come to Blighty in their millions, for the fellas to be gainfully employed as plumbers, and the lasses brightening up many a bar the length and breadth of our sceptre'd isle, with their service.

It was no easy task, besting the 3rdReich, PdC's boys, and the Vichy French....which meant Uncle Joe's lot had to wait.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #1894 on: Monday, July 11, 2016, 16:34:51 »

It perhaps took a while but Poland was eventually liberated so that its young men and women could come to Blighty in their millions, for the fellas to be gainfully employed as plumbers, and the lasses brightening up many a bar the length and breadth of our sceptre'd isle, with their service.

It was no easy task, besting the 3rdReich, PdC's boys, and the Vichy French....which meant Uncle Joe's lot had to wait.

Nicely spun.
The Battle of Britain would not have been won without the significant contribution of Polish, Czech & Commonwealth pilots.

A shameful episode in post war British history is the refusal by the Atlee Labour government to allow the participation of the Polish pilots in the victory parade in 1946, a decision, to their eternal credit, protested by the RAF high command at the time.

Crap!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1895 on: Monday, July 11, 2016, 17:47:48 »

The Battle of Britain would not have been won without the significant contribution of Polish, Czech & Commonwealth pilots.

Nor without the efforts of the Stakhanovite working class men and women who laboured long and hard in difficult conditions to turn out the planes to be flown, and the armaments to be used.

They weren't invited on parade by the Attlee government either, but did get the long slow struggle for the NHS and other welfare reforms as their thanks.

Interesting today that May said stuff, which could have quite easily tripped off Ed Miliband's tongue, (along with a bacon sandwich). As a daughter of the manse a la Gordon Brown, although of course in his case son, it will be interesting to see if she was lying. Having had 6 years of Cameron/Osborne its easy to believe that it's just what politicians do.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #1896 on: Monday, July 11, 2016, 17:53:28 »

Here comes your emergency services being privatised.

Group 4 i am looking at you
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1897 on: Monday, July 11, 2016, 17:58:04 »

Here comes your emergency services being privatised.

Group 4 i am looking at you
tbf Tans G4S have proven themselves a safe pair of hands from nearly but not quite securing the Olympics through to abusing and murdering refugees while hoovering up huge amounts of taxpayers' money in the process. So, grotesquely inefficient and inept at every part of the process other than trousering the cash. Exactly the qualities governments look for in a privatisation partner.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1898 on: Monday, July 11, 2016, 18:01:14 »

Having had 6 years of Cameron/Osborne its easy to believe that it's just what politicians do.
Nick Clegg may also have made his own contribution to that impression. But they all pale into insignifcance compared to the 10 years we spent being lied to by the grandmaster of the art, the war criminal Blair.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1899 on: Monday, July 11, 2016, 20:40:27 »

It's not a mess at all...it's fine, we'll stay in the Single Market and the day we leave will be the same as the day before and everyone will say "what was the fuss about"

That's some assumption. Presumably you think we'll have to agree to freedom of movement too in order to stay in?

I'd be happy with that. Not sure everyone will though.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1900 on: Monday, July 11, 2016, 20:45:12 »

That's some assumption. Presumably you think we'll have to agree to freedom of movement too in order to stay in?

I'd be happy with that. Not sure everyone will though.

You also have to pay for the privilege.  If it works out that way, what was the point in voting to leave? Other than create a recession so movement will be out rather than in.
manc_red

Ignore
« Reply #1901 on: Monday, July 11, 2016, 20:48:24 »

You are probably right, its way outside my area of legal expertise I am merely passing on what the Barrister was stating in advice?

This issue will be decided by the High Court in a couple of class actions starting next week.

I'd imagine appeals all the way up to the Supreme Court are a distinct possibility, so even being fast tracked, it may not be resolved for a year or so.
Christy

Ignore
« Reply #1902 on: Monday, July 11, 2016, 21:47:43 »

That's what happens when no quit Dave quits and tucks his ball under his arm and stomps off. If he had been a leader instead of a cheerleader then it would have been different regardless of brexit result.

I did let on that he'd had enough before the last general election...

Against my better nature, I have to disagree.  

Cameron in person is hugely likeable and massively charismatic, and is desperate to get out of the tiresome political arena and into light entertainment.  He's wasted as PM!  He sees himself as a cross between the re-invented Portillo and Ant or Dec, cracking jokes on a train towards the jungle on a Saturday TV teatime coming soon.    That way he stays one step ahead of that conceited blond clown, securing a place as the nation's sweetheart, and becoming either Brucie or Des Lynam, depending on Rupert's puppet plans for him.

Please help David find his vocation, follow his dreams and don't make him do all this again...after all, this is such an important election for his career prospects.

OK, I maybe haven't been 100% on the detail but the point stands - Dave's had other plans for a little while...
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1903 on: Tuesday, July 12, 2016, 08:46:38 »

Interesting take on the issue of Corbyn and his position on the ballot paper from Neil Kinnock

http://www.newstatesman.com/2016/07/neil-kinnock-when-corbyn-wanted-me-deposed-i-sought-nominations-mps

The fact that one arm of the party could potentially find itself taking legal action against another just shows how divided they are now, for the general good of the country and to provide some sort of credible opposition the party needs to split ASAP into a centre left v. hard left hybrid to give something credible for all to vote for in any forthcoming election. 
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1904 on: Tuesday, July 12, 2016, 09:41:38 »

At least now May is in waiting we can move onto the important issues of politics

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36772515?intlink_from_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fnews%2Flive%2Fuk-politics-36570120&&post_id=10152902182188513_10153732994413513#38;link_location=live-reporting-story
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 126 [127] 128 129 130 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: