Pages: 1 ... 122 123 124 [125] 126 127 128 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2016953 times)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #1860 on: Monday, July 11, 2016, 11:37:20 »

Andrea Leadsom was simply given a small taste of the kind of pressure she would be under every single day were she to become PM; pressure that Cameron (and his predecessors) has mopped up routinely.  I think it demonstrates quite clearly that the fears of those who thought she did not have the requisite experience were entirely founded.  She's not ready.  She was simply the next best thing that Leaverish-tending Tory MPs had to rally around after the main contenders had killed each other's political careers.  Somebody had to occupy the vacuum.

Indeed. How the Vote Leave types have torpedoed eachother's chances in a few weeks is really quite impressive. Can't say I like May's politics much, but she's experienced and competent and that really has to be a minimum expectation to be PM. Get her in place ASAP and let's move on from a horrible few weeks.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1861 on: Monday, July 11, 2016, 11:47:42 »

Indeed. How the Vote Leave types have torpedoed eachother's chances in a few weeks is really quite impressive. Can't say I like May's politics much, but she's experienced and competent and that really has to be a minimum expectation to be PM. Get her in place ASAP and let's move on from a horrible few weeks.

May will be OK, Gove has endorsed her now.

Sadly I think many of the leading Brexiters had a severe attack of the Lib Dems realising its very easy to promise the world but often nigh impossible to deliver when you have to?
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #1862 on: Monday, July 11, 2016, 11:51:32 »

Everyone seems quite pleased? The thought of Theresa My as PM genuinely terrifies me.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1863 on: Monday, July 11, 2016, 11:53:04 »

Everyone seems quite pleased? The thought of Theresa My as PM genuinely terrifies me.
That's because Leadsom was even more terrifying. But I do wonder whether she was ever a serious contender or just a put-up job to placate the Leavers/wider country that there had been some kind of selection process rather than a simple coronation (which is in effect what we're getting)
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #1864 on: Monday, July 11, 2016, 11:55:03 »

I wouldn't say "pleased", but between her or Leadsom she's probably the lesser of two cunts.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #1865 on: Monday, July 11, 2016, 11:55:59 »

So technically we will have an unelected PM.

Same when Brown took over from Phoney Tony.

Demoncracy in action.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #1866 on: Monday, July 11, 2016, 11:57:12 »

That's because Leadsom was even more terrifying. But I do wonder whether she was ever a serious contender or just a put-up job to placate the Leavers/wider country that there had been some kind of selection process rather than a simple coronation (which is in effect what we're getting)

Indeed Leadsom was proper mental material, scarily May is the moderate choice.... I still suspect its something of a poison chalice as there is going to be some seriously rocky shit over the next 2 years, just leaving the door open for Boris to ride over the hill and appear to save the country - not that I am suggesting he is that cynical and all that!
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #1867 on: Monday, July 11, 2016, 11:57:46 »

Demoncracy in action.

Yeah but we have got our sovereignty back......
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1868 on: Monday, July 11, 2016, 11:58:03 »

Demoncracy in action.

No.  We elect a party....the party elects its leader. 
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #1869 on: Monday, July 11, 2016, 12:00:27 »

No.  We elect a party....the party elects its leader. 

Indeed although on  more general party level we have a party elected on a manifesto which had little scope for delivery as they have veered violently to the right?
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #1870 on: Monday, July 11, 2016, 12:03:26 »

I don't often agree with Alistair Campbell but he seems fairly spot on here...

'So there we are. A referendum that was about the people choosing our leaders has led to a new PM being decided by one very silly interview'
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #1871 on: Monday, July 11, 2016, 12:06:34 »

I don't often agree with Alistair Campbell but he seems fairly spot on here...

'So there we are. A referendum that was about the people choosing our leaders has led to a new PM being decided by one very silly interview'

At least we've 'taken back control' though.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1872 on: Monday, July 11, 2016, 12:12:37 »

Indeed although on  more general party level we have a party elected on a manifesto which had little scope for delivery as they have veered violently to the right?

Cameron promised a referendum in the manifesto and deliverd one. The Tories promised austerity,immigration control and budget suplus and have failed to deliver it, I'm sure their right wing would conclude, they're far too liberal. Fuck knows how the withdrawal from the EU is going to played out against this background of incompetence. 
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #1873 on: Monday, July 11, 2016, 12:22:49 »

At least we've 'taken back control' though.
That's what happens when no quit Dave quits and tucks his ball under his arm and stomps off. If he had been a leader instead of a cheerleader then it would have been different regardless of brexit result.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #1874 on: Monday, July 11, 2016, 12:22:52 »

I thought I heard on the radio this morning that May would be far less inclined to continue with austerity...at least to the same degree?
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 124 [125] 126 127 128 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: