Pages: 1 ... 116 117 118 [119] 120 121 122 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2017685 times)
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #1770 on: Wednesday, June 15, 2016, 19:23:03 »

The smartest bloke on the planet - Professor Stephen Hawking - thinks it's better to remain.  That's good enough for me.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #1771 on: Wednesday, June 15, 2016, 19:28:20 »

And the "United" Kingdom. If you vote leave, that's finished.

On that point, I think a lot will depend on margins.  If it's 51:49 in favour of Leave and 49:51 in Scotland, I'm not sure that it will be as clear cut as that.  For one, I'm far from convinced that the exit from the EU would happen anyway.  All you'd need was a further (for example) 48:52 poll in the weeks following the vote and the premise of leaving itself will be thrown in to doubt.  Leaving would take years to happen, and the appetite for leaving would need to be sustained throughout that period for it to actually to go ahead.

Ignore
« Reply #1772 on: Wednesday, June 15, 2016, 19:30:10 »

This issue is really doing my nut in. I think I'm changing my mind again.  Suicide
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #1773 on: Wednesday, June 15, 2016, 19:54:49 »

On that point, I think a lot will depend on margins.  If it's 51:49 in favour of Leave and 49:51 in Scotland, I'm not sure that it will be as clear cut as that.  For one, I'm far from convinced that the exit from the EU would happen anyway.  All you'd need was a further (for example) 48:52 poll in the weeks following the vote and the premise of leaving itself will be thrown in to doubt.  Leaving would take years to happen, and the appetite for leaving would need to be sustained throughout that period for it to actually to go ahead.

Well you've got deeper roots in Scotland than me, but I'm pretty sure that if Brexit prevailed and Scotland was de facto forced out of Europe, that would kick-start the process that would see Scotland leave the UK.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #1774 on: Wednesday, June 15, 2016, 20:03:01 »

I'm voting in. This is despite odious Osbourne and cuntish Cameron, not because of them.

Not everything in The EU is ideal, but listening to Farage and Boris I'd rather be governed by faceless Brussels bureaucrats......
« Last Edit: Wednesday, June 15, 2016, 20:18:17 by herthab » Logged

It's All Good..............
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #1775 on: Wednesday, June 15, 2016, 20:11:08 »

I've voted in, also having just been made redundant i'm dreading a successful out vote which will no doubt plunge the country back into another recession, making finding another job that much harder.
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #1776 on: Wednesday, June 15, 2016, 20:18:28 »

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36534192

'We find it incredible that the chancellor could seriously be threatening to renege on so many manifesto pledges," they said.
"It is absurd to say that if people vote to take back control from the EU that he would want to punish them in this way."
They added: "If he were to proceed with these proposals, the chancellor's position would become untenable."

I think this statement probably means that Osborne is a goner regardless of the outcome. It is now safe to vote Remain, and not be lumbered with him as PM /CotE.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1777 on: Thursday, June 16, 2016, 06:28:43 »

I think this statement probably means that Osborne is a goner regardless of the outcome. It is now safe to vote Remain, and not be lumbered with him as PM /CotE.

Indeed - I suspect a few quid on Teresa May going forward may be worthwhile, she is playing a long game here?
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #1778 on: Thursday, June 16, 2016, 07:08:22 »

This should be cause for celebration, but they'll just replace one shiny teflon coated cunt with another one.

Never knowingly overstated.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #1779 on: Thursday, June 16, 2016, 07:15:44 »

I'm voting in. This is despite odious Osbourne and cuntish Cameron, not because of them.

Not everything in The EU is ideal, but listening to Farage and Boris I'd rather be governed by faceless Brussels bureaucrats......

Herein lies much of the problem, it has become more about the characters involved and less about the EU which probably suits the Brexiters as many people seem to find Boris and Farage charismatic, whereas no one likes Cameron and Osbourne?
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #1780 on: Thursday, June 16, 2016, 08:59:56 »

I've voted in, also having just been made redundant i'm dreading a successful out vote which will no doubt plunge the country back into another recession, making finding another job that much harder.

Sorry to hear that.  I hope you get something else soon.

I agree.  Osborne and Cameron have exhausted all of their political capital.  I've thought for some time that Cameron, in particular, will be quite likely to announce he's standing down on June 24th...regardless of the outcome of the vote.  He's been burning bridges for months and behaving as if nothing matters after the vote.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #1781 on: Thursday, June 16, 2016, 09:21:43 »

Sorry to hear about that Ginginho.

My advice having gone through the same is (if you haven't already) is to get on Linkedin asap. I basically managed to get another job solely through networking. Good luck with your search and I hope you find something soon.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #1782 on: Thursday, June 16, 2016, 09:23:12 »

Herein lies much of the problem, it has become more about the characters involved and less about the EU which probably suits the Brexiters as many people seem to find Boris and Farage charismatic, whereas no one likes Cameron and Osbourne?

Charismatic is not the word beginning with C that most people would use to describe Boris and Farage for sure!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #1783 on: Thursday, June 16, 2016, 10:03:05 »

I've thought for some time that Cameron, in particular, will be quite likely to announce he's standing down on June 24th...regardless of the outcome of the vote.  He's been burning bridges for months and behaving as if nothing matters after the vote.

I think his whole legacy depends on the vote...

In other news for those still considering which way to go Alan Partridge has entered the debate...

http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/15/nigel-farage-has-gone-full-alan-partridge-with-the-brexit-flotilla-5946922/
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #1784 on: Thursday, June 16, 2016, 10:04:19 »

Charismatic is not the word beginning with C that most people would use to describe Boris and Farage for sure!

As we seem to be heading to a Boris Farage led Brexit I fear your use of 'most' is misguided (no I don't get it either!)
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 118 [119] 120 121 122 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: