Pages: 1 ... 873 874 875 [876] 877 878 879 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2014891 times)
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #13125 on: Wednesday, March 6, 2024, 18:07:40 »

I saw Tory MP Gullis stating on twitter yesterday that we could all enjoy being £16.50 better off every time we fill up the fuel tanks on our cars. Yippee

Have they cut duty on fuel?

It sounds a bit like Clem Morfuni accounting
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #13126 on: Wednesday, March 6, 2024, 18:09:26 »

Have they cut duty on fuel?

It sounds a bit like Clem Morfuni accounting

There was some kind of obscure logic that was being used for sure. Here is it;

People should read the article to see where the £16.50 figure comes from👇

“If the duty had been allowed to rise in line with inflation since 2010, Britain’s drivers would now be paying 93.47p on a litre of fuel rather than the current 52.95p once VAT is included.

“The Centre for Economics and Business Research calculates that would have been around 47 per cent higher representing 30p more a litre — a saving of around £16.50 when filling up an average 55-litre family car.”

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #13127 on: Wednesday, March 6, 2024, 18:37:13 »

They're so generous aren't they  Grin

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #13128 on: Wednesday, March 6, 2024, 19:41:10 »

In the midst of all this the taxpayer is paying £15k because my MP libelled some people and got done.  She libelled them but apparently we have to pay.

Never knowingly overstated.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #13129 on: Thursday, March 7, 2024, 15:47:36 »

If you taxed every Billionaire in the UK so they only had £1bn you would get £1.1tn, an entire year’s worth of tax revenue.

It would affect only 173 People.
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #13130 on: Thursday, March 7, 2024, 15:55:15 »

If you taxed every Billionaire in the UK so they only had £1bn you would get £1.1tn, an entire year’s worth of tax revenue.

It would affect only 173 People.

Imagine what you could do if you took more tax (not all) from the 17300 people that have over 10m in assets.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #13131 on: Thursday, March 7, 2024, 16:28:13 »

i was always one that was OK with paying my fair share, never had a problem with the 40% bracket for example.  But, too much focus is put on this area - it's never easy to implement Tax Rises, not without political fallout, and like it or not, the rich find ways around it.

Instead, I've always been a proponent of focusing much more on the efficiency with which services are delivered by Govt agencies.  I'm not going STFC route here and suggesting it's all about wasting money on freeloaders, no, the processes designed to administer services are cumbersome and bureaucratic beyond belief.  Reduce the need to spend, not the services provided, and you'll limit the tax burden.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #13132 on: Friday, March 8, 2024, 09:05:31 »

Instead, I've always been a proponent of focusing much more on the efficiency with which services are delivered by Govt agencies.  I'm not going STFC route here and suggesting it's all about wasting money on freeloaders, no, the processes designed to administer services are cumbersome and bureaucratic beyond belief.  Reduce the need to spend, not the services provided, and you'll limit the tax burden.

I whole heartedly agree.  But easier said than done.  Especially when policy seems to be determined by winning daily or weekly headlines against the Opposition and by the relatively clandestine appeasement of demands coming within the Party from its various factions and donors.  The visible part of the political iceberg and the invisible part of it..

In the Budget, the Conservatives are following their random fiscal rules by balancing the books over a totally unpredictable 5 year period - as a result of unspecified "efficiency savings".  You'd think they'd have had time to make most of the efficiency savings required by now.  Spending on the NHS is mushrooming whilst other sectors such as social care have already been squeezed bone dry with local authorities left heading towards insolvency.  

Not only are tax free bands frozen in Income Tax (as well as Inheritance Tax) to offset the NI cut but Council Tax is increasing more than ever.  Economic growth could be a panacea but beyond the realms of pure academia, that cannot be achieved without increased (or "better managed") immigration.  But parties feed fantasies about cutting down immigration whilst avoiding any frank acknowledgement of the damage caused by the losses of the Single Market inc. the falling number of EU migrants - who had been of net fiscal benefit to the UK in contrast to non-EU migrants.  And the opposition parties all connive in fantasy economics.

Instead of lapping up the blaming of others, perhaps the problem lies partly in ourselves and our constantly voting for false prophets.  I hated many facets of Margaret Thatcher but she led by conviction and, economically, was not afraid to to apply "home economics" to the public purse.

« Last Edit: Friday, March 8, 2024, 09:11:24 by RedRag » Logged
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #13133 on: Friday, March 8, 2024, 09:12:25 »

They seem to spend more time slagging each other off than moving this country forward. That's when there is actually someone in the commons. Always seems to be about 5 people and one geezer picking his nose.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #13134 on: Friday, March 8, 2024, 09:27:48 »

They seem to spend more time slagging each other off than moving this country forward. That's when there is actually someone in the commons. Always seems to be about 5 people and one geezer picking his nose.
Much like the STFC boardroom then.  Angry

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #13135 on: Friday, March 8, 2024, 09:31:53 »

I think the ‘West’ - however you want to define it - is in its death throes.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #13136 on: Wednesday, March 13, 2024, 15:20:05 »

Foreign govts face ban on owning British newspapers - effectively blocking Abu Dhabi-led Telegraph takeover.

Crikey, something sensible!
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #13137 on: Friday, March 22, 2024, 17:43:07 »

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/24203882.swindon-reform-uk-candidate-benjamin-dade-sacked-party/

This lad sounds jolly nice.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #13138 on: Friday, March 22, 2024, 17:47:29 »

Starting to get the Labour promises/leaflets through the letter box Cheesy

So, give no fucks

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #13139 on: Friday, March 22, 2024, 18:17:06 »

What difference will it make. Tory or Labour = getting shat on.
Pages: 1 ... 873 874 875 [876] 877 878 879 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: