Pages: 1 ... 710 711 712 [713] 714 715 716 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1995521 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #10680 on: Tuesday, December 1, 2020, 12:05:19 »

I hope Audrey is alright, thankfully my old man is back from France now and thus not caught up in all this, albeit it will make their property in France worth even less (what is less of worthless I don't know) and I imagine bugger up the tenant they have in the place at the moment.

Yet there were literally thousands of ex pats saying until quite recently what a great thing Brexit was so my sympathy is limited to those who voted against or were unable to vote,  
Don't think that's fair, they were lied to by Johnson, Gove and the Daily Mail, among many others. What I found amusing was the Mail leading a campaign for freedom of movement for UK citizens within the EU
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #10681 on: Tuesday, December 1, 2020, 12:13:25 »

Don't think that's fair, they were lied to by Johnson, Gove and the Daily Mail, among many others. What I found amusing was the Mail leading a campaign for freedom of movement for UK citizens within the EU

Offset by the fact that c.5 mins of research on the internet pre referendum made the lies crystal clear for what they were, the information was all out there in open view, if people cannot be arsed to do research before ticking a box there is not much you can do for them.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #10682 on: Tuesday, December 1, 2020, 12:17:04 »

does this stuff up your current arrangements Audrey, or do you have some kind of residency thing?

feel for ex-pats, many of which (15+ years abroad) could not even vote in the brexit referendum
Tbh, everyone knew this was the likely outcome so we applied for, and got, Greek resident permits last year. Anyone who hasn’t got this sorted before new rules come into force are either plain lazy or stuck their heads in the sand.

Tbh, the biggest problem is a number of British banks are closing ex pat bank accounts - luckily, at the moment, Nationwide have said they have no intention of doing so.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #10683 on: Tuesday, December 1, 2020, 12:19:42 »

Tbh, everyone knew this was the likely outcome so we applied for, and got, Greek resident permits last year. Anyone who hasn’t got this sorted before new rules come into force are either plain lazy or stuck their heads in the sand.

Tbh, the biggest problem is a number of British banks are closing ex pat bank accounts - luckily, at the moment, Nationwide have said they have no intention of doing so.

Good stuff!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #10684 on: Tuesday, December 1, 2020, 13:50:32 »

Good to hear.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #10685 on: Tuesday, December 1, 2020, 13:56:50 »

You don't get to keep using the weights or running machine if you don't pay for the Gym membership.
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #10686 on: Tuesday, December 1, 2020, 14:36:30 »

I work in international health insurance and the last minute panic of brits in Europe is beyond a joke

We’ve known about this for 3 years + but twats ( and they are twats) are only now realising they need residency.

All governments are saying unless you are in work you need a certain amount of private health insurance. Basically so British pensioners who no longer have the reciprocal deal, don’t become a drain on their health systems.

Certain countries are adding such ridiculous stipulations such as you need maternity cover, even in your seventies( male and female)

It’s a proper fuck you to those brits who haven’t been paying taxes and suddenly realise they’re fucked.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #10687 on: Tuesday, December 1, 2020, 14:42:30 »

Can only speak for Greece here, but once you (an ex pat) are in receipt of a social benefit from the UK (state pension) you are entitled to the same healthcare as a Greek national - spouse of any age is also covered.

I know that in France healthcare costs are usually covered by the French state up to 70% with the remaining 30% needing private health insurance. It is a case of paying out first then reclaiming it. First class healthcare, though.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #10688 on: Tuesday, December 1, 2020, 15:03:01 »

Can only speak for Greece here, but once you (an ex pat) are in receipt of a social benefit from the UK (state pension) you are entitled to the same healthcare as a Greek national - spouse of any age is also covered.
Is that going to continue? Good if it is
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #10689 on: Tuesday, December 1, 2020, 15:11:50 »

Would be the only country in the eu doing that!!

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #10690 on: Tuesday, December 1, 2020, 15:21:25 »

From UkGOV

‘If you live in Greece or move there before the end of 2020, your rights to access healthcare in Greece will stay the same from 1 January 2021 for as long as you remain resident.

This means you’ll:

continue to get state healthcare in Greece on the same basis as a Greek resident
still be entitled to a Greek EHIC for travel, including visits to the UK
You may also have the right to apply for a UK S1 if you start drawing a UK State Pension’
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #10691 on: Tuesday, December 1, 2020, 15:24:13 »

From UkGOV

‘If you live in Greece or move there before the end of 2020, your rights to access healthcare in Greece will stay the same from 1 January 2021 for as long as you remain resident.

This means you’ll:

continue to get state healthcare in Greece on the same basis as a Greek resident
still be entitled to a Greek EHIC for travel, including visits to the UK
You may also have the right to apply for a UK S1 if you start drawing a UK State Pension’
Nice one. Although given the govt's track record on being correct about what will happen come January, I'd want to check that that is also the Greek govt's view of the matter

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #10692 on: Tuesday, December 1, 2020, 15:27:38 »

All been checked and double checked. We’ve also had to apply for a Greek driving licence.

We’ve had lessons in excessive horn beeping, swearing and hand gestures and not showing off by parking correctly.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #10693 on: Tuesday, December 1, 2020, 15:34:36 »

All been checked and double checked. We’ve also had to apply for a Greek driving licence.

We’ve had lessons in excessive horn beeping, swearing and hand gestures and not showing off by parking correctly.
Nice one
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #10694 on: Tuesday, December 1, 2020, 16:23:45 »

I had to retake my driving test after arriving in the USA, which involved driving around a car park, taking  a drive out, two turns and back in again.  The written test (online) was also funny - questions like, if someone walks out into the road do you a) stop, b) speed up, c) swerve to avoid them.  The only tricky ones were where they used words wrong - the pavement is actually the road here, which caused me some confusion when it was in a question.  One of the answers involved joining the pavement safely, which had me thinking for a bit - why would you drive on the fucking pavement?

Quite why people think that the world would keep turning for them once we exited is beyond me?
Pages: 1 ... 710 711 712 [713] 714 715 716 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: