Pages: 1 ... 703 704 705 [706] 707 708 709 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2008361 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #10575 on: Monday, October 26, 2020, 15:41:13 »

The Lincoln Project are quite funny:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/oct/25/lincoln-project-jared-kushner-ivanka-trump-billboards
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #10576 on: Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 09:39:29 »

I can't help thinking that the latest Tory distraction campaign (which I assume comes from Dom as it suddenly popped up rather regimentally in the last 12 hours) flinging a dead cat suggesting that those who criticise the government are anti-Bame would be a lot more powerful if they didn't have a leader who said things like "piccaninnies with watermelon smiles" or compare Muslim women to letterboxes.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #10577 on: Thursday, October 29, 2020, 11:00:18 »

The summaries I've seen so far of the EHRC report into anti-Semitism under Corbyn (not had time to read properly) look pretty damning of what he allowed to happen on his watch and of his close circle. This quote stood out: that Labour had a culture which "at best, did not do enough to prevent antisemitism and, at worst, could be seen to accept it." And yes I know the Tories still haven't held that inquiry into Islamophobia in the party they promised and that any such inquiry would likely be equally as damning, but that's not the point. Labour and the left need to own this and say what they're going to do to ensure it is stamped out and stop it happening again.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #10578 on: Thursday, October 29, 2020, 13:06:46 »

When you compare what Starmer said this morning with Corbyn's statement (not sure what came first) I don't really see a way he can retain the whip.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #10579 on: Thursday, October 29, 2020, 13:08:25 »

Corbyn suspended by the Labour party. This is going to go down well.

Politically, it's a bloody difficult thing for Starmer (or any Labour leader) to handle. Morally it's a minefield as well.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #10580 on: Thursday, October 29, 2020, 13:27:24 »

Anyone fancy another decade of Tory power?

Labour are finished.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #10581 on: Thursday, October 29, 2020, 13:42:49 »

Is it weird to think this increases the chances of Labour winning the next election, but also increases the chance of Labour absolutely falling apart and Jon Snow Andy Burnham being leader of half a party inside a year? It's very high risk.

Of course, quite apart from the political calculus, it's just very sad that it's come to this. I've never been quite sure what I thought about all this other than Corbyn was too stubborn (often labelled as principled, but I think that principled people sometimes change their mind when the evidence changes) to lead anything.

I suspect very few will change their mind today, and a lot will say things that they'll regret later. Will need time.
jevs

Ignore
« Reply #10582 on: Thursday, October 29, 2020, 14:19:39 »

Anyone fancy another decade of Tory power?

Labour are finished.

I suspect you're right, the nearest equivalent would be Kinnock expelling Militant in the  80s, they weren't of an equal profile yet it took defeats in two more elections before they were electable again. Maybe it can be spun positively to those lost voters though, we'll see sticking with Corbyn is going to be an issue for Starmer though.

There may be some truth in what Corbyn said, but you'd think he'd have had the wit to keep his mouth shut and not continue to be such an asset to the Conservatives. He truly was an utterly idiotic choice of leader; if he had the integrity he gets credited with he would have walked away when it was blindingly obvious that he personally was a significant issue for so many voters.
Valid Pint

« Reply #10583 on: Thursday, October 29, 2020, 14:52:25 »

To think we were nearly duped in the 2017 General Election. Phew! A near miss.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #10584 on: Thursday, October 29, 2020, 15:02:09 »

Corbyn suspended by the Labour party. This is going to go down well.

Politically, it's a bloody difficult thing for Starmer (or any Labour leader) to handle. Morally it's a minefield as well.

Makes it very easy for him to finally make the split and get rid of Corbyn once and for all, what will be the outcome of that who knows, albeit worth bearing in mind that Starmer won quite comprehensively against the Corbyn continuity candidate for the leadership not to long ago, so that suggests that whilst they are bloody vocal the momentum/Corbynites are not as powerful in the membership as many think and definitely not as powerful in the electorate as 2019 proved.

There may be some truth in what Corbyn said, but you'd think he'd have had the wit to keep his mouth shut and not continue to be such an asset to the Conservatives. He truly was an utterly idiotic choice of leader; if he had the integrity he gets credited with he would have walked away when it was blindingly obvious that he personally was a significant issue for so many voters.

If Corbyn really wanted Labour to be the next government, and was a pragmatist, he would be diplomatically silent, or at least temper his reaction in any statement, instead he comes out fighting and essentially backs Starmer into a corner exacerbating the shit enveloping the party today, interesting to see that his statement completely ignored one of the most damning parts of the report.

Nice to see the Corbynites have managed to get Rachel Riley trending on Twitter again today. 
« Last Edit: Thursday, October 29, 2020, 15:07:51 by horlock07 » Logged
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #10585 on: Thursday, October 29, 2020, 15:06:56 »

I'm going to complain to the ECHR about the blatant unbalance of Commissioners in the ECHR.
8 out of 9 are white; 7 out of 9 are non-male and the only non-white member is a Conservative Party donor/
How very dare they!!!!
Valid Pint

« Reply #10586 on: Thursday, October 29, 2020, 15:09:21 »

I'm going to complain to the ECHR about the blatant unbalance of Commissioners in the ECHR.
8 out of 9 are white; 7 out of 9 are non-male and the only non-white member is a Conservative Party donor/
How very dare they!!!!

But are they elected or appointed?
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #10587 on: Thursday, October 29, 2020, 15:17:46 »

appointed
Flashheart

« Reply #10588 on: Thursday, October 29, 2020, 15:44:22 »

Starmer had no choice but to remove him.

Rachel Riley seems happy. I take it we can now expect her to push for a full enquiry into Islamophobia in the Tory party?
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #10589 on: Thursday, October 29, 2020, 17:13:44 »

Buckland sticking the boot in will go down well on here  Cheesy
Pages: 1 ... 703 704 705 [706] 707 708 709 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: