Pages: 1 ... 688 689 690 [691] 692 693 694 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2013732 times)
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #10350 on: Tuesday, September 8, 2020, 12:12:21 »

"rodomontade"

I just learned this word from an article in Le Monde about, well you guess...

Rodomontade (which can also be spelled "rhodomontade") originated in Italian poetry. Rodomonte was a fierce and boastful king in Orlando Innamorato, Count Matteo M. Boiardo's late 15th century epic, and later in the sequel Orlando Furioso, written by poet Lodovico Ariosto in 1516. In the late 16th century, English speakers began to use "rodomont" as a noun meaning "braggart." Soon afterwards, "rodomontade" entered the language as a noun (meaning "empty bluster" or "bragging speech") and later as an adjective (meaning "boastful" or "ranting"). The noun "rodomont" is no longer used in English, but "rodomontade" is still with us.

Would be fun to potentially blindside a JRM or BJ by introducing this word in a question when they next rant on about vassal states and all such BS picked up from their expensively acquired educations.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #10351 on: Tuesday, September 8, 2020, 12:22:06 »

They probably think he is playing Star Wars Chess with the EU
tbf I was genuinely curious as Johnson has effectively told everyone who voted for him that what they voted for makes no sense. He's pretty much calling his own supporters a bunch of mugs
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #10352 on: Tuesday, September 8, 2020, 12:26:17 »

tbf I was genuinely curious as Johnson has effectively told everyone who voted for him that what they voted for makes no sense. He's pretty much calling his own supporters a bunch of mugs

Trump has been doing it for years, they lap it up, all part of the great plan to over throw the Liberal Elite.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #10353 on: Tuesday, September 8, 2020, 12:29:30 »

Jesus. The govt have now confirmed that they are knowingly and deliberately breaking international law with the overriding of the Withdrawal Act. And risking the Northern Ireland Peace deal into the bargain. Reckless doesn't begin to cover it.

https://twitter.com/AdamJSchwarz/status/1303307680329740288

No wonder the govt's most senior lawyer has resigned. Buckland should follow suit if he has any self-respect
« Last Edit: Tuesday, September 8, 2020, 12:33:29 by pauld » Logged
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #10354 on: Tuesday, September 8, 2020, 12:49:51 »

Brexit deal never made sense’ says man who negotiated it, signed it, prevented MPs from scrutinising it, campaigned for it and won a general election on the back of it
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #10355 on: Tuesday, September 8, 2020, 14:45:29 »

Jesus. The govt have now confirmed that they are knowingly and deliberately breaking international law with the overriding of the Withdrawal Act.

This is after taking the moral high ground and getting all snooty with China for breaking international law re Hong Kong just a couple of weeks back.

This exchange in the commons is ridiculous, we have a government that now things its accpetbale to break the law and also to be completely open about it!

https://twitter.com/PaulbernalUK/status/1303346233398956033?s=20

No wonder the govt's most senior lawyer has resigned. Buckland should follow suit if he has any self-respect

He has resigned as it would be a breach of the civil service code (and the ministerial code, incidentally) which obliges them to follow the law, including international law.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #10356 on: Tuesday, September 8, 2020, 15:20:17 »

He has resigned as it would be a breach of the civil service code (and the ministerial code, incidentally) which obliges them to follow the law, including international law.
Indeed and the same applies to QCs, hence my suggestion re Buckland as it goes double for him
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #10357 on: Tuesday, September 8, 2020, 16:21:54 »

Anyway enough of this nonsense, I am of out to break the law in a very specific and limited way, that's apparently an acceptable defence now.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #10358 on: Tuesday, September 8, 2020, 16:28:05 »

I see they voted against amendments to the fire safety act in light of the grenfell enquiry.

Including the MP for the area in which Grenfell Tower was. Good luck avoiding your constituents is all i will say on that!
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #10359 on: Tuesday, September 8, 2020, 16:31:13 »

TBF to Johnson he is being forced down this route as some buffoon signed up to this Agreement which apparently never made sense, I hope that he seeks the resignation of that idiot!

https://twitter.com/mikegalsworthy/status/1303087336931106817?s=20

In a civilized grown up country this should be a resigning matter for both Lord Chancellor, who has sworn an oath to uphold the rule of law, and the Attorney General. Neither can, with any integrity, serve under a government explicitly committed to breaking the law.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #10360 on: Tuesday, September 8, 2020, 16:44:21 »

Anyway enough of this nonsense, I am of out to break the law in a very specific and limited way, that's apparently an acceptable defence now.

Im off to Barnard Castle to rob a bank.  And Im not wearing my glasses.  Anyone got a child I can stick in the back of my car to make it more interesting?

Never knowingly overstated.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #10361 on: Tuesday, September 8, 2020, 17:05:05 »

Can't stand what this country has become.  Shifty as fuck.  Untrustworthy.  Dodgy & unreliable.  These chancers in government do not speak for me.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #10362 on: Tuesday, September 8, 2020, 17:15:43 »

^^^^ yup

worked in America, copied here. Power at any cost
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #10363 on: Tuesday, September 8, 2020, 21:06:52 »

In light of today's news, the quality is shit but you can't really spend much time making this lot look good.

In any case, I'd rather have a bowl of...

* IMG_20200908_221727.png (293.16 KB, 370x467 - viewed 80 times.)

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #10364 on: Wednesday, September 9, 2020, 06:06:08 »

I see they voted against amendments to the fire safety act in light of the grenfell enquiry.

Including the MP for the area in which Grenfell Tower was. Good luck avoiding your constituents is all i will say on that!
And Teresa May who promised to implement the results of any enquiry when she was PM. But yeah, it's only poor people isn't it? Let em burn.
Pages: 1 ... 688 689 690 [691] 692 693 694 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: