Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Quiz of the Year  (Read 4605 times)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, December 17, 2014, 12:18:40 »

Sorry to step on BO's toes, but I wrote this for work and thought it might be of interest here. A 48 question quiz of the year, split into four questions on each month - three of the questions are company related so I've cut them, but 45 for you to enjoy!

The more pedantic among you can help spot the errors before I send it out at work as well!

Quiz of the Year 2014

January
1.   The soundtrack to ‘Frozen’ entered the year riding high in the album charts. How many weeks would it stay there for?
2.   Which country became the 18th member of the Eurozone?
3.   Which world famous landmark was damaged during a lightning storm?
4.   Pop star Justin Bieber did what for the first time in Miami on January 23rd

February
5.   The 2014 Winter Olympics were held in Sochi, Russia. How many medals did the United Kingdom win?
6.   Unrest in the Ukraine: what was the reason given by pro-Russian rebels for the presence of serving Russian soldiers amongst their numbers?
7.   NASA’s Curiosity rover released its first picture. What was the picture of?
8.   Which major web firm celebrated its 10th anniversary on the 4th February?

March
9.   What picture was retweeted more than three million times after being taken at the 86th Academy Awards?
10.   David Beckham made a guest appearance in a one off special of which long-cancelled British sitcom?
11.   Which former Bath Rugby star fired the starting gun of the 2014 Bath Half Marathon?
12.   (Company related question)

April
13.   Season 4 of Game of Thrones premiered on HBO. No character appeared in all 10 episodes, but two related characters appeared in 9. Name them.
14.   A major vulnerability was found in many secure web services relating to the use of OpenSSL. What was its catchy nickname?
15.   As an April Fool’s Joke, The Sun reported that the Queen had decided to allow what within the grounds of Buckingham Palace?
16.   On the same day, CERN announced that its website would switch to use which controversial font to display text?

May
17.   The Eurovision Song Contest was won by Austria. Who was their act, and why were they notable?
18.   In related news, the elections to the European parliament were also held. Which parties comprised the top four in terms of votes won in the UK (order not required)?
19.   The Sunday Times UK Rich List was published. Who was the richest single individual (not family) on the list?
20.   Sam Smith achieved his second UK number one with “Stay with me”. What was his first, achieved three months earlier?

June
21.   The song ‘Noble England’ re-entered the charts at number one in memoriam of its singer, a famous comedian who died in June. Who was the singer?
22.   Which three teams were in England’s football World Cup group?
23.   In the same tournament, what did Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini make headlines for?
24.   Which royal abdicated his throne?

July
25.   The MCC celebrated its 200th anniversary with a game featuring teams captained by Sachin Tendulkar and Shane Warne at which cricket ground?
26.   Who was named as the new permanent host of Never Mind the Buzzcocks?
27.   (Company related question)
28.   Why did tens of thousands of people worldwide spend much of July throwing freezing water over themselves?

August
29.   Robin Williams died in August. His performance in which 1997 film won the Academy Award for best supporting actor?
30.   (Company related question)
31.   Which actor made his debut as the 12th Doctor?
32.   Compromising photographs of many celebrities were made public after which online service was apparently hacked?

September
33.   The Scottish Independence Referendum was held. What % of voters eventually voted Yes for independence?
34.   Which sporting event travelled through Bath on 12th September?
35.   A new fossil of the Dinosaur Spinosaurus confirmed that it had what, thus far considered unique, ability amongst its fellow Dinosaurs?
36.   U2 released their new album Songs of Innocence. By which unusual method was it released?

October
37.   The UK Government announced the purchase of a £97m supercomputer. In a stereotypically British fashion, what was it to be used for?
38.   The Conservative MP for Braintree, Brooks Newmark, resigned from the Government. Why?
39.   In his conference speech, who did David Cameron proclaim as the ‘greatest living Yorkshireman’?
40.   Oscar Pistorius was found guilty of the culpable homicide of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp. How long was his jail sentence?

November
41.   After landing the probe Philae on a comet, Dr. Matt Taylor became embroiled in controversy over what?
42.   The new Paddington movie was released. Who voices the titular bear?
43.   Former Chief Whip Andrew Mitchell lost a libel case against the Metropolitan Police. What politically damaging word did the judge find he had most likely used?
44.   The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part One was released. It features one of the final performances of, and is dedicated to, which Hollywood actor who died earlier in 2014?

December
45.   Who did TIME magazine announce as their ‘person of the year’?
46.   Who was the winner of the X-Factor?
47.   The annual Miss World competition was held in London. Which country did the winner, Rolene Strauss, represent?
48.   Netflix released the first series of a new original drama, reputed to be one of the most expensive TV shows ever filmed. Which historical explorer is it based upon?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, December 17, 2014, 13:23:08 »

2. Latvia
5. Think 4....women did well...curling, Yarnold, Jenny Jones and men's curling got a bronze or something too.
19. Mike Ashley was up there
22. Italy, Uruguay and Costa Rica
23. Being the meat for Suarez' teeth
24  Juan Carlos of Spain
25 Lords
28 Ice Bucket challenge for charity
31 Peter Capaldi
34 Tour of Britain bike race
39 William Hague
40 5 years
47 South Africa
« Last Edit: Wednesday, December 17, 2014, 13:35:56 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, December 17, 2014, 13:27:36 »

9. Oscars selfie
29. Good Will Hunting
36. Given to everyone free via Itunes
43. Pleb
46. Ben Haynow.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, December 17, 2014, 13:30:42 by Bob's Orange » Logged

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, December 17, 2014, 13:28:48 »

14. Heartbleed bug

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, December 17, 2014, 13:30:16 »

36. Installed via an OS System update

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Processed Beats

I drop beats from this processed meat.

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, December 17, 2014, 14:48:23 »

8. Facebook.
Processed Beats

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, December 17, 2014, 14:49:01 »

10. Only Fools and Horses.
Processed Beats

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, December 17, 2014, 14:50:14 »

13. Jaime and Cersie Lannister.
Processed Beats

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, December 17, 2014, 14:50:53 »

17. Concita Wurst. Tranny.
Processed Beats

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, December 17, 2014, 14:54:20 »

20. Money on my Mind.
26. Rhod Gilbert.
42. Ben Whishaw.
44. Philip Seymour Hoffman.
47. South Africa.
48. Marco Polo.
DMR

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, December 17, 2014, 15:30:27 »

4. Got arrested
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, December 17, 2014, 15:36:16 »

Good work so far, here are the ones that nobody has correctly(ish) answered so far...

January
1.   The soundtrack to ‘Frozen’ entered the year riding high in the album charts. How many weeks would it stay there for?
3.   Which world famous landmark was damaged during a lightning storm?

February
6.   Unrest in the Ukraine: what was the reason given by pro-Russian rebels for the presence of serving Russian soldiers amongst their numbers?
7.   NASA’s Curiosity rover released its first picture. What was the picture of?

March
11.   Which former Bath Rugby star fired the starting gun of the 2014 Bath Half Marathon?
12.   (Company related question)

April
15.   As an April Fool’s Joke, The Sun reported that the Queen had decided to allow what within the grounds of Buckingham Palace?
16.   On the same day, CERN announced that its website would switch to use which controversial font to display text?

May
18.   In related news, the elections to the European parliament were also held. Which parties comprised the top four in terms of votes won in the UK (order not required)?
19.   The Sunday Times UK Rich List was published. Who was the richest single individual (not family) on the list?

June
21.   The song ‘Noble England’ re-entered the charts at number one in memoriam of its singer, a famous comedian who died in June. Who was the singer?

July

August
32.   Compromising photographs of many celebrities were made public after which online service was apparently hacked?

September
33.   The Scottish Independence Referendum was held. What % of voters eventually voted Yes for independence?
35.   A new fossil of the Dinosaur Spinosaurus confirmed that it had what, thus far considered unique, ability amongst its fellow Dinosaurs?

October
37.   The UK Government announced the purchase of a £97m supercomputer. In a stereotypically British fashion, what was it to be used for?
38.   The Conservative MP for Braintree, Brooks Newmark, resigned from the Government. Why?

November
41.   After landing the probe Philae on a comet, Dr. Matt Taylor became embroiled in controversy over what?

December
45.   Who did TIME magazine announce as their ‘person of the year’?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, December 17, 2014, 15:38:22 »

So rich git wasn't Ashley.

The boffin in 41, was it something to do with his tie?
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, December 17, 2014, 15:39:07 »

The boffin in 41, was it something to do with his tie?
His tee shirt was sexist apparently.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, December 17, 2014, 15:42:09 »

Barely a tenth of the value of the one I'm looking for, but floating around football will get you somewhere. Remember the Rich List is for British residents, not passport holders...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: