Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Brentford owner in Denmark  (Read 2004 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« on: Friday, December 12, 2014, 07:55:15 »

Came across this interesting article on Matthew Benham, Brentford's majority shareholder, and his attempt to export a similar "sustainable and successful" model to a Danish club:

http://www.thesefootballtimes.net/#!fc-midtjylland-small-club-big-ambition/c1x5

Well, I thought it was interesting but then I don't get out much Smiley
BruceChatwin

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, December 12, 2014, 09:57:10 »

The two club's models don't sound particularly similar to me.

The Danish model seems based on the idea that with a bit of a cash injection, you can walk the domestic league and take a shot at qualification for the CL group stages; and also that, being able to bypass English laws on academy players, you can raid Africa and South America for young players to sell on at a later date.

Neither of those apply to Brentford's model, as far as I can see. After the owner goes, I doubt they'll be able to sustain their current levels of financial output on the basis of how they fill a 20,000 seater stadium alone.
Flashheart

« Reply #2 on: Friday, December 12, 2014, 10:47:29 »

I've not read the article but going by Brentford's spending habits, just what does he mean by 'sustainable'?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, December 12, 2014, 13:03:50 »

He says in the article (paraphrasing) that he's prepared to spend to back success, and that he takes the financial hit if they don't achieve it. For the Danes, that means reaching the CL; for Brentford I would guess that means becoming established in the Championship. So "sustainable" in the sense that he takes the financial risk rather than the club I suppose and in that it's measured spending, rather than throwing money around at random in the hope that some of it sticks a la Di Canio/Wray. NB I'm not advocating/defending his model, just answering the questions asked.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: