Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: American Football college seasons  (Read 8269 times)
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Friday, September 18, 2020, 17:23:59 »

That was quite amusing and impressive. Although that being a State College team, we do have to give some context. A state fan base would be similar to that of like a national fan base so a full and active crowd is to be expected; think some of the pomp when England play (it's not quite as hyped as the US of course). We have to remember that if someone attends somewhere like UCLA, an equivalent here would be like attending the University of the UK. Each state is pretty much like it's own nation, and not just in sizes but in legislation too (as we kinda know).

That's where the pride comes in too because your state is kind of your own "country". It also explains why we don't have packed stadia of 80-100k for Bishop's Stortford v Stalybridge Celtic - because it is all relative. A lot of people forget just how "huuugggee" the US is, especially when applying to sports, fan bases and the relative geography.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Friday, September 18, 2020, 17:28:49 »

State is the name of the University, they have many of them in each State.

Example - Georgia State University is not University of Georgia (Bulldogs).  Alabama has multiple big ones, as does Texas and Florida.  In fact, the Southern States have lots of teams that are well supported and they don't always tie-up to the biggest Cities.  Alabama is in Tuscaloosa I think, not Montgomery, and Auburn is a small City of about 60k people.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Friday, September 18, 2020, 17:34:05 »

Georgia Tech used to be biggish and they are a couple of miles from Georgia State, across an InterState.  The latter uses the stadium they built for the Olympics, the former uses a 45k capacity stadium on campus.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Friday, September 18, 2020, 18:58:37 »

State is the name of the University, they have many of them in each State.

Example - Georgia State University is not University of Georgia (Bulldogs).  Alabama has multiple big ones, as does Texas and Florida.  In fact, the Southern States have lots of teams that are well supported and they don't always tie-up to the biggest Cities.  Alabama is in Tuscaloosa I think, not Montgomery, and Auburn is a small City of about 60k people.

For sure, I understand that but in the most part they will still be covering fairly large catchment areas but there is more "pride" in the US so to speak - even if we correlate a UK/European level of pride to State level.

Of course I know that you'll have a much better understanding, since you do live over yonder way Smiley

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: