Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Peterborough United v Swindon Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 58167 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #255 on: Sunday, November 23, 2014, 08:53:53 »

So is he trying to say that Colin Hill (whoever the fuck he is) owns the club?
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: Sunday, November 23, 2014, 08:56:05 »

Colin Hill is a property tycoon if that's the one he means. Probably bollocks as a quick Google on him reveals he was involved at Posh before the Irish dude days.

And Rushden
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: Sunday, November 23, 2014, 09:02:19 »

God, he is a cunt, even had a whine at Lineker over twitter. How unprofessional.

http://twitter.com/GaryLineker/status/385195492914634752
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: Sunday, November 23, 2014, 09:02:56 »

Think it goes to show that our recent attendance woes are not reallu STFC-specific, but part of a wider problem in football. Prices are going up & up, but disposible income for most supporters is not. Peterborough is a similar-sized place to Swindon.  No surprise to see their gates suffering as well.
That's it right there in the perverbial nut shell - rocket science it aint. Some have tried to suggest that the people of Swindon and the surrounding area are particularly apathetic towards their team but that is not the case IMO. Peterborough as you say is a good example of a town similar in size to Swindon with dwindlng support, another one is Colchester. Their crowds have only broken the 4,000 barrier 3 times this season (and then only just). I know they are struggling but they would not be much higher if they were around the play off places.

With regards to Alan Swann - come on, own up - who pissed in his half time tea?? What the hell is that bloke's problem? Embittered twat? Slightly!

STFC have shown and continue to show, that there is absolutely nothing wrong with having several loan signings if it is managed properly and you have a long term strategy i.e. you know what you are going to do when a certain player goes back to their Club and you have some one else you can bring in to replace them. If you don't have a direct replacement (I'm thinking of Pritchard), you need to be able to modify the way you play, which we've done. In this day and age, you need to be as creative as you can with whatever tools are at your disposal to make your team as competitive as possible within your financial constraints. Power and Cooper have done this admirably.

I agree with you Audrey - This has to be the luckiest Town side ever. Every game we have won this season seems to have been down to luck. Quite incredible.

Fair play to Claridge. I don't quite have the psychcotic dislike for Claridge that some seem to on here, he generally gives credit where it is due. I will be watching the FLS shortly with interest.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: Sunday, November 23, 2014, 09:10:26 »

Colin Hill is a property tycoon if that's the one he means. Probably bollocks as a quick Google on him reveals he was involved at Posh before the Irish dude days.

Perhaps he was trying to liken our situation now, to theirs under Hill. It may not be based on anything other than a hunch on his part. Lets be honest, he may be a tool, but he's not the sharpest tool.

tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: Sunday, November 23, 2014, 09:17:38 »

Worked in the past together

http://m.dorsetecho.co.uk/sport/4088122.Takeover_at_the_Terras/

Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: Sunday, November 23, 2014, 09:21:00 »

I don't think it's fair to say we've only won because of luck this season. We haven't had as much bad luck as we did last year, especially re:refereeing decisions, but I think saying we've won because of luck detracts from what Cooper and the lads have done this year.

Saying we are 'reliant' on loan players when we've just got Stephens, Toffolo, Bell (who didn't play yesterday), Turnbull (who didn't play yesterday) and (technically) Louis Thompson is a bit rich.

Which is precisely what we're not, hence why we are using the loan system effectively.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: Sunday, November 23, 2014, 09:21:14 »

The most startling revelation in that piece is that Colin Hill and Lee Power live together.

'Then yesterday I called Colin Hill and Lee Power, at their home in Switzerland. And they are coming down next week to spend Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday here reviewing all documents and meeting with officials, with a view to investing quite heavily into the club to take it forward.'
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #263 on: Sunday, November 23, 2014, 09:46:10 »

Could be 2 + 2 with the Colin Hill link. Many boards will have unnamed people having some influence in the background. I'd rather that (if intentions are good) than a chairman venting against the manager on Twitter. Let's presume Darren Ferguson is keeping a little file together for a constructive dismissal claim.

I've some misgivings about Power (supposedly stoking it up in the tunnel last week, for instance) but on the whole, what is being done on the pitch is fantastic and we don't appear to be bleeding money as we have for years. Built on loans? Rubbish. We get loanees in, have a chance of buying them, and go from there. 3 loanees in the starting XI and 4 in the squad - pipe down Mr Swann. I wouldn't bet against Stephens and/or Turnbull signing permanant deals in the summer. Toffollo may have more of a chance at Norwich.

As an aside: Two very good assists for Miles Storey for Pompey yesterday. I wonder if we can call him back and loan them Barker?
red sheldon

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: Sunday, November 23, 2014, 09:59:51 »

The most startling revelation in that piece is that Colin Hill and Lee Power live together.

'Then yesterday I called Colin Hill and Lee Power, at their home in Switzerland. And they are coming down next week to spend Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday here reviewing all documents and meeting with officials, with a view to investing quite heavily into the club to take it forward.'

Everyone's doing it now, the clubs going to hell in a handbasket!!!

Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #265 on: Sunday, November 23, 2014, 10:10:49 »

The Peterborough fans i went with yesterday all said we were much the better side and well deserved the win, they were really impressed with Nathan Byrne, especially in the first half.

I was sat a few rows behind Lee Power and he really celebrated the goals, especially the 2nd, great to see the passion he has for the club.

(Thanks to my Dad's friend for the corporate day out, free ticket, free meal, free drinks and a good Swindon win to top it off, a good day out).
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: Sunday, November 23, 2014, 10:24:22 »

Could be 2 + 2 with the Colin Hill link.
Let's hope so. Power's past association with him and Cousins is one of the reasons I was one of those who was a little wary of him at first. There's quite a good summary of Hill and Cousins' serial involvement in "failing football club as property development opportunity" schemes here

http://portsmouthsbluearmy.blogspot.co.uk/2013_03_01_archive.html

NB it rarely goes well for the clubs involved, although most had troubles before Hill and Cousins arrived which is how they got their foot in the door in the first place
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #267 on: Sunday, November 23, 2014, 10:42:40 »

Considering we don't own the land the ground is on and that land is protected, I'd be surprised if they aim is to make a fortune by developing. Power's strategy so far has been to concentrate on the team, so once again, this would suggest another direction.
Not saying that the motives are purely altruistic, but whatever the reason that Power is here I can't see it's to make money on the ground.
(Watch this come back and bite me on the arse).

It's All Good..............
Nick Bamosomi
Bitter & Twisted

Ignore
« Reply #268 on: Sunday, November 23, 2014, 11:14:40 »

It seems we can't win. In the PDC era, we were slated for overspending, a fact of course that we ended up paying for.
Now when we have a great team from spending very little, that's wrong too.
Jealousy.
Fuck the lot of them.

Never , under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same  night
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #269 on: Sunday, November 23, 2014, 11:27:57 »

I don't think it's fair to say we've only won because of luck this season. We haven't had as much bad luck as we did last year, especially re:refereeing decisions, but I think saying we've won because of luck detracts from what Cooper and the lads have done this year.

Saying we are 'reliant' on loan players when we've just got Stephens, Toffolo, Bell (who didn't play yesterday), Turnbull (who didn't play yesterday) and (technically) Louis Thompson is a bit rich.

Which is precisely what we're not, hence why we are using the loan system effectively.
You realise I was joking don't you - Just checking like.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22   Go Up
Print
Jump to: