Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Poor Facilities at The County Ground.  (Read 32368 times)
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« on: Monday, November 17, 2014, 20:55:02 »

Have been reading a lot over several forums since Saturday about how bad the state of the County Ground has become. I know we've all got used to the ship pa system,  ropey scoreboard and sorry floodlights but I was disappointed to read about Stratton Bank. Apparently the toilets were fenced off and replaced with 4 portaloos. It's easy to laugh it off and say it's only City fans but I'd be none to happy if we were the away team in similar circumstances. It's all very well Mr Power saying the stadium is not a priority for him but sooner or later it will have to. Not just for the away fans benefits but the whole stadium. There are many reasons why attendances may be on the decline but if we are going to charge the supporters the prices we do then at least get the basic facilities in order!
manc_red

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, November 17, 2014, 20:59:52 »

I like it how it is.

In fact the only thing I'd change at the CG is putting safe standing in the Town End. Fuck all that padded seat bollocks.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, November 17, 2014, 21:02:51 »

The Town End and the Bank are the obvious priorities and we need to incorporate some boxes in somewhere....

Problem is it'll be between £10m and £15m for this to get a couple of decent stands and where we'd get access to that sort of money lord only knows.

Also as much as we all love them the floodlight pylons won't last forever!
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, November 17, 2014, 21:09:04 »

Anyone complaining about portaloos for the Stratton Bank obviously hasn't used the built in toilets there, which aren't much of an improvement over pissing against a wall. And whilst I haven't used the sit down facilities there I would guess you're just shitting through a hole in the floor.

Though I'd also point out to the City fans complaining about the portaloos, that they would have been clean and smelt nice at the start of the game. Whatever happened to them after that is on them.
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, November 17, 2014, 21:20:44 »

As I said it's not about the City fans. It's becoming a regular comment from all away fans that the facilities are poor even in The Arkells Stand. Don't get me wrong I'm not expecting Mr Power to build some sort of Stadium MK but if we do reach The Championship then bigger aattendances would be the norm. Seriously Stratton Bank needs a makeover.
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, November 17, 2014, 21:23:44 »

Those built in loos at the back of the bank are archaic but serve purpose, piss and get the fuck out.
Perhaps they were planning to take a copy of inbreeders weekly in the shitter at half time

Wasnt there a clause in Blacks sale about ground modernisation ?
Cant see anything being done unless we get promotion and even then as a last resort

Bar the seats the TE hasnt changed since I first visited ( 70s ), bogs in there aint exactly the best
JanTheMan

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, November 17, 2014, 21:34:01 »

I like it how it is.

In fact the only thing I'd change at the CG is putting safe standing in the Town End. Fuck all that padded seat bollocks.

This
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, November 17, 2014, 21:35:27 »

From speaking with a senior club official recently, there are fears the Stratton Bank will not pass its next safety inspection.

Any idea how regular these are, every off season? At least we have got the City match out of the way and ££££ from their fans.

The stand is now an eyesore and should be the first to go if redevelopment plans are ever brought to fruition. Not that I have any sympathy for the shitheads in the stand on Saturday.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, November 17, 2014, 21:35:39 »

If we gained promotion, I'm sure a bit of a spruce up would be on the cards.

Until then, with away teams normally bringing no more than a few hundred fans and the Bank going unused for months on end, it's not worth it.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, November 17, 2014, 21:50:35 »

Old grounds with poor facilities are the best grounds, fuck any sort of comfort.

I blame the sky sports generation!
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, November 17, 2014, 21:53:08 »

Old grounds with poor facilities are the best grounds, fuck any sort of comfort.

I blame the sky sports generation!

If you have been going for a few years yes I agree
Its getting new fans in thats when the facilities are off putting
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, November 17, 2014, 21:56:51 »

My pet subject!

There comes a point where the 'do nothing' option is simply no longer viable.  We are pretty much the only club to have done precisely nothing to our ground during the last 20 years - the last major work undertaken being the construction of the Don Rogers Stand (or the Intel Stand, as it was then) back in 1994.  I still think of that as the 'new' stand, and it's 20 years old now.

Sooner or later, we are just going to have to get on with it.  A substantial ground redevelopment is now so far overdue that, as others have said, it will be forced upon us before long.  I respect the owner's strategy of concentrating on the field of play and his focus on youth, but he may soon find the matter taken out of his hands.

I must have bored the regulars on here rigid about this over the years, so apologies for the repetition.  A quick search pulled up a few other comments, just for good measure...

Interesting that ground redevelopment is rising up the agenda now.  Every year that nothing happens on this front is another year that we fall further behind.  The redevelopment is now not just overdue - it's 20+ years overdue.  Most of our competitors/rivals have, on the whole, received a significant boost at some point in the last few decades from a ground move or redevelopment, but we still have that to come.

We're starting to stand out as one of an increasingly small number of clubs that is still living with the same facilities it had a generation ago...albeit with a lick of paint here and there.  The stand I sat (stood) in on Saturday is completely recognisable as the same stand the groundsman was shooting pigeons from in 'Six Days to Saturday' nearly 50 years ago.  Sentimentally nice, but also not right.  A redeveloped ground, done properly, will give this club its biggest lift in years.  Sooner or later, we're going to have to stop talking about doing something, and actually do it.

On the redevelopment point, I don't think Lee Power will have a choice if he's intending to be around for the 5+ years he talked about and the ground starts falling apart in front of his eyes.  As a club, we're starting to stand out as being one of a very few who have failed to invest for a long period in stadium infrastructure.  To think that we can carry on doing that indefinitely is extremely naive.

I agree.  The Manager delivered in 2012, and seems to have a plan for the next stage of delivery - the goal being promotion to the Championship.  But the lack of progress/news with regard to ground redevelopment is starting to stand out.  We must be one of only a handful of clubs that has done precisely nothing to its stadium (OK, we rent it) during the last 15 years.  Without improvements to the ground - which, much as we all love it, is essentially a 1970s ground with 1990s bolt ons - we will not be able to move to the next level, regardless of what happens on the pitch.

This is one of the reasons I was disappointed with the Chairman's comments on Saturday.  Maybe there are plans out there that are being kept under wraps for good reason - and I hope that's the case.  But SWP's comments at the weekend did make it sound as if, yet again, the issue of ground redevelopment had been kicked in to the long grass.

I know I'm sounding like a broken record on this (so sorry in advance), but I'm going to be highly suspicious of any new ownership that does not have a clear intention to either redevelop or relocate.  (And personally, I have a preference for the former.)  No ground plans, for me, will smack of wanting to tread water (best case) or something worse.  Because the ground is now the elephant in the room.  You can't go on ignoring it much longer...and the Club's longer term prospects depend on bringing the stadium in to this century.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, November 17, 2014, 22:03:23 »

If you have been going for a few years yes I agree
Its getting new fans in thats when the facilities are off putting

Yea unfortunately that's the case. 

In 20 or so years time 90% of grounds in this country will conform to one of 2 or 3 generic designs and individuality will be rare
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, November 17, 2014, 22:03:51 »

My avatar is the Intel stand under construction, when I took the pics it was on a manual wind camera  Cheesy

One of the wurzel fans criticised the fact that the ground had pylon floodlights (outdated)  No  Doh
« Last Edit: Monday, November 17, 2014, 22:06:17 by 4D » Logged
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, November 17, 2014, 22:10:51 »

My avatar is the Intel stand under construction, when I took the pics it was on a manual wind camera  Cheesy

One of the wurzel fans criticised the fact that the ground had pylon floodlights (outdated)  No  Doh

Now let me be quite candid; the County Ground is fantastic to me.  Not only is sat-nav proof and it is map-proof too. All you need to do is leave the M4 at the appropriate junction, namely junction 15 from the East, follow the signs to Swindon and you can't fail to trip over the ground ; thats if you haven''t already noticed the good old-fashioned floodlight pylons , in which case its either ridiculously foggy or you shouldn't be driving at all!

What a lovely 90 minutes. If you prefer prawn sandwiches, then don't bother reading any further.  But, if you like watching a game of football where the shadows of the floodlight pylons slowly lengthen across the pitch as the afternoon progresses, then make a visit to Swindon a priority.  It was also refreshing to visit a ground where the home fans actually make plenty of noise throughout the game, as opposed to the odd polite cheer when a goal goes in before sitting down pacifully as though riding on the 08:21 to Paddington for a days work!

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/swindon_town/county-ground-fans-review-5.html

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: