Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Serious question about Saturday  (Read 3996 times)
kerry red

« on: Monday, November 17, 2014, 18:38:32 »

Do our players 'go down' a tad too easy?

It's not the first time opposition fans have mentioned it.

Being Swindon fans are we a bit blinkered to it if they do?

Saying that, some of those early tackles from City players were, at best, reckless in those first 15 minutes or so
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, November 17, 2014, 18:41:10 »

No smoke without fire and all that. I think the main issue for opposition fans is probably that they're staying down. Nathan Thompson against Bradford was another example (no police action required).
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, November 17, 2014, 19:09:24 »

I noticed this. Louis Thompson got tackled on Saturday and went down as if he had a broken leg. When he realised nothing was going to be done he got up quickly and without a limp.

I think sometimes we can be guilty of play-acting, which irritates me. I don't think we need to.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, November 17, 2014, 19:12:20 »

yes
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, November 17, 2014, 19:13:52 »

It's a tough one, because if you don't do that, you get fuck all. I don't think this team have always gone down easily, but in the wake of some of the stuff about getting no protection earlier in the season, it seems to be happening more. It's wrong, but it's a symptom of a problem of referees being unable or unwilling to give things if the player doesn't act like he's mortally wounded.
kerry red

« Reply #5 on: Monday, November 17, 2014, 19:18:36 »

So, in effect, although we may not like it, we are just doing what every other club's players do
Flashheart

« Reply #6 on: Monday, November 17, 2014, 19:20:38 »

I remember PDC one saying that he was going to tell his players to go down (Ooh err), because if they don't then they wont get even legitimate fouls given.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, November 17, 2014, 19:20:55 »

Basic football tactics, if you aspire to playing decent football.  There will always be teams who try to intimidate by being over physical.....the stock countering tactic is to let the referee know.

You could see on Sat that Cotterill had sent his side out to try and intimidate our kids....it failed.
kerry red

« Reply #8 on: Monday, November 17, 2014, 19:22:46 »

That was pretty obvious to me, Reg.

That's why he's so pissed off - he knows it's his own fault
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #9 on: Monday, November 17, 2014, 19:23:22 »

In order to go down easily there has to be at least some contact. Lesser of two evils for me.
kerry red

« Reply #10 on: Monday, November 17, 2014, 19:27:08 »

You could see that after the red card the City players were trying the theatricals hoping the ref would even things up.
Sir Pissalot

« Reply #11 on: Monday, November 17, 2014, 19:31:44 »

This was Cooper's take on it, recently:

http://www.thisisswindontownfc.co.uk/news/headlines/11588987.Mark_Cooper_will_not_tolerate_play_acting/?ref=arc

I do think, though, that some of ours are guilty of 'overdoing it' sometimes.  I wish they would stop it
Flashheart

« Reply #12 on: Monday, November 17, 2014, 19:35:04 »

Could it be that our style of play attracts more fouls?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, November 17, 2014, 19:51:15 »

So, in effect, although we may not like it, we are just doing what every other club's players do

I think that's exactly it. I hate it, the Louis T example above being a perfect one. Everyone does it though, and if you don't you miss out. Its shit, tis a function of the modern game pussyfication.
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, November 17, 2014, 19:53:09 »

I think that's exactly it. I hate it, the Louis T example above being a perfect one. Everyone does it though, and if you don't you miss out. Its shit, tis a function of the modern game pussyfication.

Quite

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: