Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Quiz 31/10/2014  (Read 5894 times)
blah blah

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Friday, October 31, 2014, 13:15:40 »

Crying

6.26 spider walks 4 times quicker.

Yay Woot Jumping
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Friday, October 31, 2014, 13:22:25 »

5. I did wonder about Martin Freeman...not wholly convinced though.

I think it might actually be one of the little runts from One Direction, but can't be sure.
REDBUCK

« Reply #32 on: Friday, October 31, 2014, 13:57:42 »

18: The time is 7:44.
Sir Pissalot

« Reply #33 on: Friday, October 31, 2014, 14:14:38 »

13.  The Shining
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Friday, October 31, 2014, 14:14:42 »

18: The time is 7:44.

timmyg

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Friday, October 31, 2014, 17:02:05 »

Any answers around at all Bob?

The only ones I could get had already been got on here (though I think 15 could be the Deer Hunter - but I haven't seen the Wicker Man for a long, long time and don't really remember most of it so it could well be right!)

never trust a nun...
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Friday, October 31, 2014, 17:04:28 »

Any answers around at all Bob?

The only ones I could get had already been got on here (though I think 15 could be the Deer Hunter - but I haven't seen the Wicker Man for a long, long time and don't really remember most of it so it could well be right!)

I haven't seen any yet. I'll chase him up.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
REDBUCK

« Reply #37 on: Saturday, November 1, 2014, 01:36:22 »

Oops, just seen what I've done there.  Fuckwittery of the highest order.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Monday, November 3, 2014, 09:25:37 »

Sorry about the delayed answers

Friday Quiz October 31st 2014
1.   Who won a prize for playing dead this week?  Young Fathers – won the Mercury Music Prize for their album ‘Dead’ 
2.   Name the two football managers     Louis Van Gaal & Manuel Pellegrini 
3.   Celebrated in central Europe in April, which night of the year is renowned for witches meeting?  Walpurgis Night (30th April)             
4.   Name the famous horror novel from its cover.     Dracula

5.   Who is this?.          One Direction’s Niall Horan                                                               
6.   Name the children’s book     Room on the Broom
7.   In which European country would you traditionally eat this on Halloween    ?   Ireland (It’s barnbrack)
8.   Who is this?       Noel Edmonds
9.   Name the film.     Corpse Bride

10.   And another book to name.      Silence of the Lambs
11.   The Simpsons has  an annual tradition of Halloween episodes in which there are three separate, self-contained pieces. By which title are these episodes known?  Tree House of Horror
12.   Which famous halloween party game originated from a custom to establish who would get married first?  Bobbing for apples     
13.   And a third horror book-cover.      The Shining
14.   Name the film     Creepshow
15.   Name the film         The Wicker Man
16.   Name the character and the actor.     Dr Phibes – Vincent Price
17.   Name the film     Shaun of the Dead

18.   At six o’clock tonight, a scary Halloween spider starts walking at a constant rate from the *hour* hand anticlockwise around the rim of the ancient grandfather clock face.  When it reaches the minute hand it turns around and walks in the opposite direction at the same rate.  It reaches the minute hand again after 20 minutes.  At what time is this second meeting?  6:26pm   (full workings below)

19.   What links these pictures:  All played Dracula (Jonathan Rhys Evans; Louis Jourdan; Frank Langella; Gary Oldman; Klaus Kinski)

20.   Unscramble the two 2 connected words  :  B E E F I I M N O R R S T  FIRE & BRIMSTONE

Maths:  First, we set up the equation for the time (t) that the spider meets the minute hand the first time. The minute hand moves at 6 degrees per minute, and the spider moves at x degrees per minute. Since the spider starts at the 6 or at 180 degrees away from the minute hand,

6(t) = 180 - x(t)

Now if we say that the spider and minute hand are at the same spot, and start moving in the same direction, and the spider laps the minute hand (360 degrees plus the distance traveled by the minute hand, or 360 + 6(20) or 480 total degrees) then the distance traveled by the spider in 20 minutes must be 480 degrees. The spider, therefore, travels 24 degrees per minute.

Plug 24 degrees per minute into the equation for x, and solve:

6(t) = 180 -24(t)
6(t) + 24(t) = 180
30(t) = 180
t = 6

So the first meeting is at 6 minutes after 6, or 6:06. 20 minutes later at the second meeting is 6:26.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: