Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Saleable assets  (Read 14573 times)
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2014, 12:09:05 »

I'm not sure Tans tweeting something counts as a rumour doing the rounds.

Nah weren't tans, if he told me today was Wednesday I would have to check a calendar.
Not sure if originated from a local based hammers fn but he was certainly in on the convo.
Sam was asked by town fans if he had heard anything too

Swindon Please Win

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2014, 12:19:42 »

https://mobile.twitter.com/thomasrestell/status/527194805521379330

It's where the rumour came from, not exactly a reliable source is it.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2014, 16:38:36 »

He also put RIP Boy George recently on social media!!

Cheesy

That was in response to seeing him nearly die whilst performing on tv the other night
kerry red

« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2014, 16:46:28 »

Saw that. I was squirming with embarrassment he was so poor.

Not that I thought he was much good in his pomp
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2014, 17:11:02 »

Cheesy

That was in response to seeing him nearly die whilst performing on tv the other night

Oh right!! I thought you were trying to start a celebrity death rumour! Smiley

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2014, 18:18:50 »

Foderingham is out of contract in the summer and has fuck all intention of signing a new contract and clubs aren't going to pay a fee for him when they can get him for nothing in the summer.

Byrne is an interesting one.  He has shown himself to be a superb wing back but how many clubs play with 3 at the back?  As a full back he has pretty much in the past shown himself to be a liability.  Could he play as a right winger in the championship?
kerry red

« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2014, 18:25:20 »

The same applies to Kasim.

If he goes to A championship side it is unlikely they would make him the pivotal player he is with us - thus negating his playing value to a club.

I'd like to think that those players would sign new contracts in the knowledge we would let them go in the summer if we don't get promoted and thereby getting us a fee
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2014, 22:16:28 »

Where I think Power has been clever is that he has signed a players and adopted a system in tune with the current vogue for tactical flexibility.

For example Wes fills a Sweeper Keeper role, midfielders who can play within a diamond e.g. Yasser as a holding midfielder, Mass and Louis as players who can burst through the lines going past players and Byrne as a genuine wing back.

Where we will struggle is to get Premier League teams to splash out on players from League 1. They seem to want to see players prove themselves in the Championship and most of our big sales now are to Championship clubs. If we got to that level those £1m players could be worth 2 or 3 times that if they prove themselves.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2014, 22:53:01 »

Good point, I think most of us knew Austin could make it, but it took another 2 years at a champ team to prove it. Of our current team 3 or 4 are of that standard, and the decision would be  to jump up a level or stick with us and do an early 90's job to get there.
BruceChatwin

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Thursday, October 30, 2014, 21:15:07 »

What happened to that Pierre Chang fellow? I remember him repeatedly berating Byrne last season for being a 'joke player' and a waste of £200,000 (although, I think even those of us that rated him back then probably questioned whether we'd recoup all of that money at a later date).

It's pretty clear to everyone now that Lee Power can spot a talent, but I also think a major factor in the rise of saleable assets under him is the system we play, which allows the players to be seen in the best light.

There's often a sense in football that style that's easy-on-the-eye is almost like a sort of superfluous luxury, compared to a more pragmatic one purely designed to deliver results, but for a club which needs to sell players to ensure self-sufficiency, I wonder if it doesn't also makes good business sense, in that the whole, beautiful machinery of the team in operation seems to act as a sort of glittering show-room, allowing the players to show off the best of their abilities, in a way a more pragmatic style perhaps would not.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Thursday, October 30, 2014, 22:11:36 »

Where did that 200k figure for Byrne come from? I always thought he came on a free at the end of his Spurs contract.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, October 30, 2014, 22:24:04 »

We paid a six figure fee for him, that much was publicised at the time.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Thursday, October 30, 2014, 22:45:24 »

Must have missed that.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, October 30, 2014, 22:57:46 »

What happened to that Pierre Chang fellow?

Probably hanging out with Kenneth McEvoy
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Friday, October 31, 2014, 10:07:03 »

Talking of ex-regular TEF people, what happened to Oxford Fan?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: