Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Saleable assets  (Read 14536 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, October 29, 2014, 10:50:55 »

I was going to put this in the matchday thread but thought it worth a thread to get us through the tedium of a Wednesday.

Given our good start to the season, Power talking about us potentially breaking even and some very good performances from the team and a number of individuals this season is anyone concerned about a mass cull in January? For me, we have a number of players who I think will be on the radar of Championship/Premiership clubs. Of course if we are fighting for promotion in January, you would hope our best players would stay and help us to promotion.

Fods - Amazed nobody has come in for him already. Consistently solid, rarely makes a mistake and has proved good with the ball at feet. Guessing his size might put some clubs off.

Byrne - Has been our player of the season so far at Attacking Wing Back. Goals, assists and creates havoc. Surely good enough to play in the Championship on current form?

N. Thompson - We really missed him against Colchester and Rochdale and he improves season by season. Has signed a new contract but money talks.

Kasim - Immense in midfield. Calm, composed, good at set pieces.

Luongo - A class act. Surely is destined to play higher up the leagues

Smith - Control of an elephant sometimes but scores goals. Is league 1 his level?

The thing about our team is their age. They are all teenagers or low twenties, ideal age for clubs looking for talent. Peterborough have reaped the benefits of this before, so hopefully if anyone does get sold, we get a handsome fee for them and are replaced adequately.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2014, 10:59:44 »

Unless you are bankrolled by a rich owner then every club at this level is a selling club.  Hopefully the money we got for Louis will mean we don't have to sell someone in January but if we do then that's just business at this level.

Wes needs to move on for his own sake, too good for this level and has been for a while.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2014, 11:00:30 »

Obika could be added to that although we've only just signed him, and Gladwin will get there although he probably isn't yet.

Basically, anyone who isn't on loan is saleable with the clear and unfortunate exception of Harley and Ward!
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2014, 11:01:05 »

Read somewhere we have an option on Byrne's contract for an extra season. Maybe it involves a pay rise and we're waiting till the last moment to save a few pennies before taking that up?

Losing any of the players listed wouldn't be ideal, but Power has shown an uncanny ability to unearth talent from various places when the need arises. Whether we'd actually make much money on them is another matter, they probably all have fairly sizeable sell-on clauses from previous clubs. Thompson being an exception of course.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2014, 11:02:31 »

I was going to put this in the matchday thread but thought it worth a thread to get us through the tedium of a Wednesday.

Given our good start to the season, Power talking about us potentially breaking even and some very good performances from the team and a number of individuals this season is anyone concerned about a mass cull in January? For me, we have a number of players who I think will be on the radar of Championship/Premiership clubs. Of course if we are fighting for promotion in January, you would hope our best players would stay and help us to promotion.

Fods - Amazed nobody has come in for him already. Consistently solid, rarely makes a mistake and has proved good with the ball at feet. Guessing his size might put some clubs off.

Byrne - Has been our player of the season so far at Attacking Wing Back. Goals, assists and creates havoc. Surely good enough to play in the Championship on current form?

N. Thompson - We really missed him against Colchester and Rochdale and he improves season by season. Has signed a new contract but money talks.

Kasim - Immense in midfield. Calm, composed, good at set pieces.

Luongo - A class act. Surely is destined to play higher up the leagues

Smith - Control of an elephant sometimes but scores goals. Is league 1 his level?

The thing about our team is their age. They are all teenagers or low twenties, ideal age for clubs looking for talent. Peterborough have reaped the benefits of this before, so hopefully if anyone does get sold, we get a handsome fee for them and are replaced adequately.

Haven't you got a quiz, lurking in your inbox?

I'd rather just enjoy a decent win until Saturday, rather than worry too much about Jan....having said that I did meet a  bird called Jan, earlier in the year, very nice, but her maiden name seemed to be Piranha, the gangster bros put me right off
Flashheart

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2014, 11:03:44 »

According to Power we are breaking even so unless he decides he wants to rake some of his money back quickly then there's no need to start selling. The longer we hold onto them, then more we'll likely get for them eventually. He'd know that. Saying that though we may lose one or two to help balance the books or because a great offer comes in.

That, and I don't see the point in looking for the negatives in the fact that we have some good players.
JayBox325

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2014, 11:05:22 »

As they're all clearly friends I'd hope they'd be more than happy to stay for the remainder of the season just to see where it goes so they might all be after the sort of deal Louis has got.

But I can imagine our attendances picking up in the new year if we're still in the promotion race, which will help with funds.

Who knows, we can always put on music festivals... that worked great last time.

It would be great to see some numbers from the 6/8 game ticket packages.

Swindon Town Displays. Can you help out?
http://www.gofundme.com/STFCDisplays
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2014, 11:07:56 »

Haven't you got a quiz, lurking in your inbox?

I'd rather just enjoy a decent win until Saturday, rather than worry too much about Jan....having said that I did meet a  bird called Jan, earlier in the year, very nice, but her maiden name seemed to be Piranha, the gangster bros put me right off

Quiz day is Friday, you know that Reginald!

According to Power we are breaking even so unless he decides he wants to rake some of his money back quickly then there's no need to start selling. The longer we hold onto them, then more we'll likely get for them eventually. He'd know that. Saying that though we may lose one or two to help balance the books or because a great offer comes in.

That, and I don't see the point in looking for the negatives in the fact that we have some good players.

Not looking for negatives at all Flash, just to get a bit of discussion going.

There are way more positives than negatives at STFC at the moment and long may it continue.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2014, 11:10:27 »

Obika could be added to that although we've only just signed him, and Gladwin will get there although he probably isn't yet.

Basically, anyone who isn't on loan is saleable with the clear and unfortunate exception of Harley and Ward!

I really really really want Gladwin to come good. I reckon there is a class footballer in him.

As they're all clearly friends I'd hope they'd be more than happy to stay for the remainder of the season just to see where it goes so they might all be after the sort of deal Louis has got.

But I can imagine our attendances picking up in the new year if we're still in the promotion race, which will help with funds.

Who knows, we can always put on music festivals... that worked great last time.

It would be great to see some numbers from the 6/8 game ticket packages.

That's a good point, you can see from Twitter that there is a close bond off the pitch between the players and they obviously enjoy playing for a with each other.

I hope the attendances and atmosphere pick up at home, that's a negative for me at the moment but Preston and Bristol City should see lots of people coming.

Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2014, 11:21:02 »

The age of the players basically makes nearly all of the starting XI an asset (bar the loan players)

Even Williams could command a fee given his start to the season!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2014, 11:22:13 »

Quiz day is Friday, you know that Reginald!

Just wishful thinking on my part...
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2014, 11:34:49 »

There was a rumour doing the rounds last night on twitter of Luongo off to wet spam in January and loaned back for rest of season.

Whether there was any truth in that have no idea
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2014, 11:53:08 »

There was a rumour doing the rounds last night on twitter of Luongo off to wet spam in January and loaned back for rest of season.

I'm not sure Tans tweeting something counts as a rumour doing the rounds.
Flashheart

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2014, 11:55:22 »

Sounds too plausible to be a Tanswell rumour.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2014, 12:00:49 »

He also put RIP Boy George recently on social media!!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: