Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: STFC Stats & Trivia  (Read 13033 times)
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, October 25, 2014, 19:32:03 »

It will come.
Sir Pissalot

« Reply #16 on: Saturday, October 25, 2014, 19:38:13 »

Just to indulge you for a few moments, Billy's last game for us was on 6 November 1920 in a 5-0 defeat away to Millwall - but we got our revenge against them only a week later in the return match at the County Ground with a 4-1 victory.  It was common practice in those days for matches to be played in pairs, one week apart.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, October 25, 2014, 21:12:33 »

I'm not wholly convinced we've ever had a 5-5 draw...

If it's our score you mean then we've had everything up to 10.

I think the "swindon-town-fc.com" stat site will one day become invaluable but as long as there is breath in our Reg it is a little redundant - 5-5 is indeed, surprisingly, the lowest score Swindon have never had.

http://swindon-town-fc.co.uk/StatAttack/TeamResults.asp?Type=HighScoring
Flashheart

« Reply #18 on: Saturday, October 25, 2014, 21:20:18 »

But we have had a 6-4. How is that not the same scoreline as a 5-5? What are the parameters?
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Saturday, October 25, 2014, 21:29:48 »

But we have had a 6-4. How is that not the same scoreline as a 5-5? What are the parameters?
a 6-4 win is not a 5-5 draw?
Flashheart

« Reply #20 on: Saturday, October 25, 2014, 21:34:05 »

a 6-4 win is not a 5-5 draw?

Yes.

Ardiles only mentioned a scoreline. But maybe he had a win/draw/loss in mind?..... Ardiles?
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Saturday, October 25, 2014, 21:36:21 »

eh?

6-4 and 5-5 are different scorelines
Flashheart

« Reply #22 on: Saturday, October 25, 2014, 21:45:42 »

10 goals were scored is what I am getting at. How is one a 'lower' score line than the other?

I should have articulated myself better.
Sir Pissalot

« Reply #23 on: Saturday, October 25, 2014, 21:59:09 »

Scoreline is another way of saying Match Result.  It doesn't mean the total number of goals scored in a game.
Christy

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Saturday, October 25, 2014, 22:00:07 »

To give Ardiles something to do...

I had a conversation with a mate this morning who is big buddies with one of our 1980s players.  He said the player (a little surprisingly) talks very fondly about his time at the Town, and likes to tell one story in particular...We played Bristol City one evening and the place was packed to the rafters and beyond, gave them a stuffing and the CG was rocking.  Then the crowd was announced as 8900, to widespread guffaws.  The next day we signed Jimmy Quinn, with the players suspecting the tiniest possibility that it could have been paid in cash with the additional revenue from the City game...

So how true are those events?  Or have they grown arms and legs over the intervening years???
Flashheart

« Reply #25 on: Saturday, October 25, 2014, 22:02:21 »

Scoreline is another way of saying Match Result.  It doesn't mean the total number of goals scored in a game.

It is? Well if that's the case, then I stand corrected!
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Saturday, October 25, 2014, 22:13:09 »

I meant score in my head (ie 5-5 being different from 6-4), but didn't explain it well...so apologies for that.  Will do better next time.  Looks as if 5-5 is the winner then.

And Christy...no idea.  : )
Flashheart

« Reply #27 on: Saturday, October 25, 2014, 23:27:01 »

I think we need a new quiz-master.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Sunday, October 26, 2014, 01:07:40 »

To give Ardiles something to do...

I had a conversation with a mate this morning who is big buddies with one of our 1980s players.  He said the player (a little surprisingly) talks very fondly about his time at the Town, and likes to tell one story in particular...We played Bristol City one evening and the place was packed to the rafters and beyond, gave them a stuffing and the CG was rocking.  Then the crowd was announced as 8900, to widespread guffaws.  The next day we signed Jimmy Quinn, with the players suspecting the tiniest possibility that it could have been paid in cash with the additional revenue from the City game...

So how true are those events?  Or have they grown arms and legs over the intervening years???

I suspect a growth of appendages....we signed Jimmy Quinn from Oswestry Town, I happened to know the person responsible for his acquisition, who told me, that Quinn was the best header of a football he'd ever seen, however there were other elements of his game that needed work.

The crowd that season for Shitty was a little over 6K, less than what we'll get when we play them soon (maybe depending on call-ups)
kerry red

« Reply #29 on: Sunday, October 26, 2014, 12:12:08 »

That was a regular occurrence when the attendance was announced.

Anyone with the slightest mathematical ability could roughly guess the crowd knowing what the capacity of each stand was.

Must have been so tempting in the days of cash on the gate not to siphon it off
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: