Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Colchester United Official Matchday Thread  (Read 20688 times)
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« on: Friday, October 24, 2014, 23:00:59 »

The Opponent:  Colchester United

Every time I hear the word Colchester  I  think of  the coldest and most soul less of all the new build grounds I have been too. My last visit was an FA Cup tie I believe, Matt Ritchie scoring the only goal of the game and celebrating in front of the frozen 500 odd that made the long journey to Essex. There was not a pub for miles if memory serves, parking was rubbish and the stewards all reminded me of Phil Mitchell wannabes. Colchester itself had very little to offer on the way home apart from the road out, which seemed to go on forever. I hate to think how I would recall the place had we lost that cold day. Apart from a military prison, Blur, all round prick Darren Day and Dermot O’Leary there really isn’t a great deal to say about the place. Colchester is said to be the oldest recorded town in Britain and even served as the provincial capital of Roman Britain. Back in 2004, an exploration team found the remains of a chariot race track underneath a Colchester garrison, the only ever find of its kind in The UK to this day. The chav population of this particular part of Essex is rather less than that of Basildon and Romford, with just 1 chav in every 4 Colcestrians.

Last Time Out –  Colchester 2 Chesterfield 1: Colchester extended their unbeaten league run after coming from behind to beat Chesterfield.  Sam Clucas fired past Sam Walker from close range to put the visitors in front inside a minute.  Substitute Rhys Healey made an immediate impact when he equalised with a fine finish from Sanchez Watt's pass, as the U's looked to fight back. Freddie Sears fired into the top corner from the edge of the penalty area to seal the win for the home side.
Starting XI -  Walker, Hewitt, Kent (Okuonghae), Eastman, Clohessy, Moncur (Healey), Fox, Gilbey, Masset, Sears, Watt.

They have served us both –  Martin Williams, Michael Smith, Kevin Watson, Jon Sheffield, Mark Yeates, Tony Thorpe, Keith Scott, Lloyd Opara, Richard McKinney, Andy King, Jamie Cureton, Roy Bicknell, Ray Bunkell, Will Dixon, David Prutton (served is a little kind), Tom McAlister, John McLaughlin, Jordan Pavett, Paul Roberts, Ian Culverhouse, Johnnie Jackson, John McClelland, Walter Nunn, Andy Petterson, Michael Rose.

One From The Past –. January 17th 2004: Swindon Town 2 Colchester 0. Just over 6000 turned up to witness a straight forward victory for Town with goals from Sam Parkin in the 1st half and Tommy Mooney just after the break leaving us in 6th place after 27 games.

The Odds –
  Swindon  10/11 Draw 12/5 Colchester 10/3

The Son Says – Did his birthday party at Futsal this year, thoroughly recommend it if you like that sort of thing. 2-0 easy victory.

The Prediction – I think we really should have a bit too much for Colchester, they are on a decent run but we will be looking to bounce back from Tuesday night. 1-0 win, late Williams goal.

And Finally – Since 2006, Colchester has been one of only 12 places in the UK where Royal Salutes are fired to mark Royal anniversaries and visits by foreign heads of state. From 2009, these salutes have taken place in Castle Park

COYR COYR COYR COYR
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, October 24, 2014, 23:04:25 »

Bounce back win.

Clems Army!
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, October 24, 2014, 23:10:48 »

I just did a burp that sounded remarkably like '2-0', so that's gonna be the scoreline, to us, Williams and Byrne scoring.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, October 25, 2014, 00:57:09 »

First time I saw us play ColU, we put 6 on them in 63. This put into my head the notion that we should be beating them....sadly although we win the odd one...we similarly lose inexplicably.

It's a kind of Rochdale syndrome....up until Tuesday we'd never lost to Dale, but you knew it had all the hallmarks of a horrible game, and so it proved. ColU are on a roll atm, whereas our form is a bit poor.

A win would be massive, but if the wheels are falling off, a resounding clang at 4:55 wouldn't be a surprise.
Swindon Please Win

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, October 25, 2014, 01:25:40 »

6-1, Williams (2); Obika (3); Turnbull.
kerry red

« Reply #5 on: Saturday, October 25, 2014, 04:24:30 »

In respone to Reg 'slash your wrists' Smeeton, we didn't play badly on Tuesday.

We just defended poorly.

Normal service to be resumed today with a 3-0 win.

Smudge, Byrne and Obika with 7398 mothers
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, October 25, 2014, 07:10:44 »

ColU are on a roll atm, whereas our form is a bit poor.
No it's not. Our last 6 results: WWWWDL. Unless by "form" you mean "the last game"
Stevens

« Reply #7 on: Saturday, October 25, 2014, 07:12:16 »

No it's not. Our last 6 results: WWWWDL. Unless by "form" you mean "the last game"
Or take into account the Plymouth game, then the last 3 are LDL
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, October 25, 2014, 07:39:36 »

The last 15 years has been all Colchester, Brentford and Oldham and I'm ####ing sick of it.  Another Colchester game...yay!

For the love of God, get promoted, Town.  It's our turn, surely.  Long overdue a spell in the 2nd tier now.  Three points today to set us on our way.
Sir Pissalot

« Reply #9 on: Saturday, October 25, 2014, 07:45:10 »

Sorry to go all ´Reg Smeeton´on you, but our recent record at the County Ground against this lot is far from impressive (LWLDWLD).  So, it's high time we started putting that right.  Scrappy 2-1 win for Town.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, October 25, 2014, 07:56:47 »

The last 15 years has been all Colchester, Brentford and Oldham and I'm ####ing sick of it.  Another Colchester game...yay!

For the love of God, get promoted, Town.  It's our turn, surely.  Long overdue a spell in the 2nd tier now.  Three points today to set us on our way.
Amen to that x 1000.

I pray daily for us to get back to 2nd tier football while I still have (most of) my faculties, can breathe unassisted and walk without a Zimmer frame Cool

2-0 Smith, Williams please, thank you very much.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, October 25, 2014, 08:17:48 »

First home game of the season for me today. Come on Town!
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, October 25, 2014, 08:32:04 »

Owing to a delayed flight home I missed the Rochdale game so first game at home since 20th Sept, for me, hope Coops put Kasim back in his rightful position and we should claim a nervy win, 2-1 for me.  About 30 years ago i went to the old Col. U. ground and watched us getting a bit of a hammering on an awful pitch, the ref mercifully called a halt after an hour as the heavens opened and if I remember correctly we actually won when it was replayed!
swindonremo

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, October 25, 2014, 08:47:04 »

2-1 Swindon. Williams and Obika for Town and Sears for Colchester

COYR
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, October 25, 2014, 08:47:55 »

In modern times, Town rarely brush Colchester aside at the CG. I'm going so it would be splendid if Swindon bucked that trend today.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: