Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sam's Big Interview.....Steve Cowe.  (Read 6859 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« on: Thursday, October 23, 2014, 15:38:39 »

Good stuff

http://swindonlinksport.com/subcategory/swindon-football-club

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, October 23, 2014, 16:32:34 »

Looking forward to reading the thoughts of other legends like Juan cobian and Shaun close who I'd have on a par with cowe. Moooooo
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, October 23, 2014, 16:55:40 »

"“There was this figurehead that kept coming in and looking the part but nothing was really changing. I enjoyed working with Colin Todd.

“We had a massive turnover of players that summer from all over the world. It was mental. I think there were 60 or 70 players coming on during that summer."

Huh?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, October 23, 2014, 17:26:17 »

"“There was this figurehead that kept coming in and looking the part but nothing was really changing. I enjoyed working with Colin Todd.

“We had a massive turnover of players that summer from all over the world. It was mental. I think there were 60 or 70 players coming on during that summer."

Huh?

Probably trialists...interestingly it does confirm the long held view that T*dd was in the pocket of agent(s), hence some of the bizarre signings...bit like PDC.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, October 23, 2014, 18:04:35 »

"Regardless of the circumstances surrounding his move, Cowe was more than happy to move to the County Ground. Town were accelerating towards the League One title with a record points tally.

He scored his first goal for his new club on the night they secured promotion back to the Championship"
Except they didn't win the League One title or secure promotion back to the Championship, did they? Not in the 90s - the "Championship/League One/League Two" nonsense was only introduced in 2004 IIRC so Cowe got promoted out of Division 2 to Division 1. Bit surprised at that coming from Sam.
REDBUCK

« Reply #5 on: Thursday, October 23, 2014, 18:15:50 »

Or... If your not so picky about these things, it does describe in todays terms what actual division they were promoted from and to.

As does from Division 3 to Division 2 for those of Reg's vintage
Sam Morshead

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, October 23, 2014, 18:20:52 »

"Regardless of the circumstances surrounding his move, Cowe was more than happy to move to the County Ground. Town were accelerating towards the League One title with a record points tally.

He scored his first goal for his new club on the night they secured promotion back to the Championship"
Except they didn't win the League One title or secure promotion back to the Championship, did they? Not in the 90s - the "Championship/League One/League Two" nonsense was only introduced in 2004 IIRC so Cowe got promoted out of Division 2 to Division 1. Bit surprised at that coming from Sam.
This is always a tricky part - because I'm really just trying to describe what level of the pyramid it was, rather than the actual name of the division. I get your point but it was deliberate rather than an oversight. It was the Division Two title. Guess I could have written "promotion to what is now the Championship" but it just seemed a bit of a mouthful.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, October 23, 2014, 18:54:27 »

I wish we were in The Championship, old Division 1, older Division 2 again.
kerry red

« Reply #8 on: Thursday, October 23, 2014, 18:55:11 »

Give it a few months!
Flashheart

« Reply #9 on: Thursday, October 23, 2014, 18:56:09 »

This is always a tricky part - because I'm really just trying to describe what level of the pyramid it was, rather than the actual name of the division. I get your point but it was deliberate rather than an oversight. It was the Division Two title. Guess I could have written "promotion to what is now the Championship" but it just seemed a bit of a mouthful.

1st tier, 2nd tier, 3rd tier.......
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, October 23, 2014, 18:56:33 »

I don't remember us playing at any level other than the two bottom tiers. It's so dull.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, October 23, 2014, 20:40:15 »

That 10 year period from 1985 was incredible.

I remember a quote from the radio which was along the lines of "you know it's near the end if the football season as Swindon Town are about to change divisions again".

Virtually every season then was a promotion or relegation season.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, October 23, 2014, 21:08:10 »

That 10 year period from 1985 was incredible.

I remember a quote from the radio which was along the lines of "you know it's near the end if the football season as Swindon Town are about to change divisions again".

Virtually every season then was a promotion or relegation season.

In the 10 years from 85/86 to 95/96, there were only 2 seasons 87/88, 91/92 where we weren't either in PO's, promoted or relegated....this included 2 championships.

The 11 years leading to this season from 03/04 haven't exactly been lacking in drama, only 4 seasons 04/05, 07/08, 08/09, 13/14 where we weren't either in PO's relegated or promoted....this includes 1 championship.  Certainly never dull for long being a Town fan  Smiley
« Last Edit: Thursday, October 23, 2014, 21:14:34 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, October 23, 2014, 22:43:49 »

Fair enough, but it came across that you didn't realise they've been constantly buggering around with the Leagues for the past 20 years. Interesting piece though, pedantry aside Smiley

I quite liked the suggestion that they were going to rebrand the lower divisions again so we'd have a more realistic reflection in the Division names - "Premiership", "Championship", "Receivership" and "Sinking Ship" Smiley
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Friday, October 24, 2014, 06:22:01 »

Fair enough, but it came across that you didn't realise they've been constantly buggering around with the Leagues for the past 20 years. Interesting piece though, pedantry aside Smiley

I quite liked the suggestion that they were going to rebrand the lower divisions again so we'd have a more realistic reflection in the Division names - "Premiership", "Championship", "Receivership" and "Sinking Ship" Smiley
Clap Loving your work. I may well use that at some point. Cool
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: