Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Late Train  (Read 2980 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, October 22, 2014, 09:08:57 »

After the sickener of Rochdale's last minute winner, my train home ended up being 23 minutes late into Paddington. The fella on the train said that as we had missed the last tube, the passengers should speak to the control guy on the platform who would arrange alternative transport.

Needless to say the boss didn't know of this alternative transport and as I only had a ticket to 'London Terminals', Great Western had provided their obligation to get me to my destination.

So I paid £25 for my cab home as I couldn't be bothered listening to the arrogant prick on the platform basically saying he didn't give 2 shits about his customers and how they would get home.

Any point in me sending them a strongly worded email? I use them quite a lot so some vouchers for future journeys would come in handy! Wish I had taken the name of the arse on the platform.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2014, 09:16:05 »

It's difficult because if your ticket extends further they are obligated (they've paid for a taxi from Newport to Hereford before as I missed the last change) but your ticket did end at Paddington and the tube isn't really their responsibility.

Not that you can't complain about they guy's attitude, but I suspect ticket wise you won't get much other than an apology. Think it needs to be at least 60 minutes late before you get any money back.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2014, 09:20:29 »

Did you get a taxi receipt?

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2014, 09:25:41 »

After the sickener of Rochdale's last minute winner, my train home ended up being 23 minutes late into Paddington. The fella on the train said that as we had missed the last tube, the passengers should speak to the control guy on the platform who would arrange alternative transport.

Needless to say the boss didn't know of this alternative transport and as I only had a ticket to 'London Terminals', Great Western had provided their obligation to get me to my destination.

So I paid £25 for my cab home as I couldn't be bothered listening to the arrogant prick on the platform basically saying he didn't give 2 shits about his customers and how they would get home.

Any point in me sending them a strongly worded email? I use them quite a lot so some vouchers for future journeys would come in handy! Wish I had taken the name of the arse on the platform.

Send them the letter - the onward part of your journey wasn't something under their control, but the fact the train was 23 minutes late was. I assume there were leaves on the line or a branch or something, but still, you paid money to get to a destination to be able to catch your onward transport choice and they failed to meet that.

Sending a letter won't do you any harm. It's not like they'll chalk a black mark against your name. If you can remember which platform the guy was on as well they should be able to trace back who it was who was being an arse.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2014, 09:42:06 »

It's difficult because if your ticket extends further they are obligated (they've paid for a taxi from Newport to Hereford before as I missed the last change) but your ticket did end at Paddington and the tube isn't really their responsibility.

Not that you can't complain about they guy's attitude, but I suspect ticket wise you won't get much other than an apology. Think it needs to be at least 60 minutes late before you get any money back.

Yeah he basically said as much Nemo. For example if I had a ticket to Chelmsford they would have paid a taxi to get me there, but as you say I needed to use the tube so wasn't for them to worry about. He did say about the 60 minute thing as well.

Did you get a taxi receipt?

Unfortunately not Sippo, to be honest It's not really about the money but the lack of customer service from GW. There were about 30 people on the platform and they probably had much further to go than me.

Send them the letter - the onward part of your journey wasn't something under their control, but the fact the train was 23 minutes late was. I assume there were leaves on the line or a branch or something, but still, you paid money to get to a destination to be able to catch your onward transport choice and they failed to meet that.

Sending a letter won't do you any harm. It's not like they'll chalk a black mark against your name. If you can remember which platform the guy was on as well they should be able to trace back who it was who was being an arse.

They said it was 'rail conditions' as well as waiting longer at Swindon station for passengers from a connecting train

This is twice now I have had to get a taxi home after a Tuesday night game. The first time they were doing work on the line and the train took 2 hours (which I knew about) and last night was really frustrating. The times of the evening trains are shite as well. I have a choice of a train at 9.20 (which means missing most of the second half) or 22:34 which gets me into Paddington around midnight.

Doesn't help that the Oldham match they equalised late on and the Rochdale match they scored the winner in injury time! If something similar happens in the Preston game, I might have to start thinking about not bothering with midweek games!  Bad Mood

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2014, 11:28:11 »

If something similar happens in the Preston game, I might have to start thinking about not bothering with midweek games!  Bad Mood

Apart from that Preston game we only have the pikeys left as a midweek game ( march )
Barring anymore international break postponements or FA cup replays of course
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2014, 15:39:04 »

I was on the same train to Paddington last night. Luckily I was staying in central London and it only cost 8 quid to get to the hotel. I walked past the throng that was surrounding the official, who couldn't have looked less interested.

It's All Good..............
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2014, 15:57:26 »

I was on the same train to Paddington last night. Luckily I was staying in central London and it only cost 8 quid to get to the hotel. I walked past the throng that was surrounding the official, who couldn't have looked less interested.

Spot on Herthab. I could sense that some of the throng were in real difficulty because of the delays. I can understand its difficult to have people moaning and bawling at you but his attitude was out of order in that situation. I left before it got too heated

Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2014, 16:04:39 »

Worked in London for 14 years up until last year and, in all that time, I could probably count the number of mid-week home games I managed on the fingers of one hand.  (Cue the 'in bred' jokes.  It was no more than 5 games, I promise.)

Your OP pretty much explains why that was.  Getting that late train back after a defeat is a miserable experience, delays or not.
Talk Talk

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2014, 16:38:35 »

I am really surprised by this. I don't know what the general feeling is but I use FGW a lot travelling to and from Norway every other week and their customer service has been brilliant. A broken down train made me miss a flight once and they were falling over themselves to help, give me alternative first class tickets etc. I even sent a customer feedback form in as I was so pleased.

Another time we were going to Weymouth and the very tight timing for changing at Bath and a late train from Swindon resulted in them doing the taxi thing all the way there (an hour and a half drive I seem to remember). Even though there was another lady in the same predicament they booked separate taxis. Again, very impressed.

I find most of their staff friendly and helpful. Perhaps this guy didn't get his rocks off the night before...
Talk Talk

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2014, 16:40:18 »

PS I would definitely fill in a customer feedback form BO, they do reply (well at least they did to the couple I have sent in).
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2014, 22:17:51 »

getting towards the time to put aside the customer feedback forms...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: