Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Rochdale AFC Official Matchday Thread  (Read 28087 times)
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« on: Monday, October 20, 2014, 23:04:44 »

The Opponent:  Rochdale

The unbeaten run continues, 9 games in and everything is good.  A game under the lights is always something to look forward to, especially when it seems like an eternity since we last had a home match. Rochdale currently sit 12th in League 1 with 17 points, we really should be thinking about 3 points here.

Some of the notable folk from Rochdale in the past makes interesting reading.  The 19th century saw several notable characters. Lancashire dialect poet Edwin Waugh (1817–1890) was born and raised in the town. The aristocrat and poet George Gordon Byron was Lord Byron of Rochdale. Rochdale also has a proud liberal political heritage, as shown by such people as John Bright, one of the first Quakers to sit in the House of Commons; Samuel Bamford, the radical and writer; and Rev. Joseph Cooke, the inspiration behind the Methodist Unitarian movement.  Among Rochdale's residents have been several musicians, including singers Gracie Fields, Lisa Stansfield (born in Heywood) and Barb Jungr, and bands Autechre, Tractor, the Chameleons, the Mock Turtles and the Cassandra Complex. Good Charlotte drummer Dean Butterworth also hails from Rochdale. Broadcasters John Peel, Mark Chapman, Liz and Andy Kershaw also have links with the town, Peel having lived there for a period of time and the latter three having been born there. Actors Colin Baker, Anna Friel and Bill Oddie were born in Rochdale. Don Estelle, who was born and brought up in Crumpsall,  and lived for much of his life in Rochdale and was buried there in August 2003.

Last Time Out – Saturday 18th October – Rochdale 1 Gillingham 1 - Rochdale were left to rue a string of missed opportunities as Cody McDonald's late goal earned Gillingham a point. Peter Vincenti's header put the hosts ahead midway through the first half, with Vincenti and Ian Henderson having chances either side of the break. Gills' Stephen Bywater also saved twice from Michael Rose, and the visitors were rewarded when McDonald scrambled in seven minutes from time.
Starting XI -  Logan, Bennett, Eastham, O’Connell, Tanser, Dawson (Lund), Rose, Allen, Vincenti, Done (Andrew) Henderson.

They have served us both – Kevin Amankwaah, David Ball, David Cole, Stephen Darby, Simon Gibson, George Guyan, Jack Howarth, David Lucas, Ray McHale, David Murray, Arthur Radford, Alan Moore, John McClelland, Chris Jones, Tom Heaton, Ashley Grimes, Mick French, Charlie Comyn-Platt, Trevor Churchill, Bill Atkins, Tope Obadeyi, Alan McLoughlin, Harry Martin, Benny Jones, Derek Hall, Richard Green, Kevin Dearden, Jimmy Collins, Herbert Chapman, Bill Armstrong.

One From The Past –. January 22nd 1983: Attendance 4’425 Swindon Town 4 Rochdale 1 – A Paul Rideout hat trick and a late Howard Pritchard effort made light work of Rochdale, featuring in the team that day was Andy Rowland.

The Odds –  Swindon Evens  Draw 13/5  Rochdale 7/2

The Son Says – A couple more days at school then we have a couple of weeks of moaning and arguing with his sister to put up with, such joys. 3 – 0 win this evening.

The Prediction –  I think we really should have a bit too much for Rochdale, 3-1 victory, goals from Kasim, Williams and Turnbull, 6’677 in attendance with 111 from up North.

And Finally – The first seven series of the BBC school drama Waterloo Road were set in Rochdale between 2006 and 2012, and filmed on location at the former Hilltop Primary School in Kirkholt, which closed in July 2003. Most of the out-of-school scenes in the series were filmed around Rochdale, and many of the pupils' homes seen on television were council houses in the Kirkholt area which were mostly built in the early post war years.

COYR COYR COYR COYR
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, October 20, 2014, 23:25:27 »

No mention of the Co-op....up until 1985, STFC was run on the Rochdale Co-op system of one share one vote.

Very tense about later today.....we've already seen one STFC  undefeated record go this season at Crawley...Dale have to win soon....I'm now wishing that Elliot Benyon hadn't written himself into Town posterity, for his last minute back post header, as it made fuck all difference and would have got a defeat out of the way.

I once met a bird from Rochdale....it went wrong straight away, when I thought her accent was Yorkshire  Smiley   norverners all sound the same to me.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, October 20, 2014, 23:57:33 »

Easy 2-0 victory
kerry red

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 04:34:35 »

Think I'm right here, but have we ever lost to Dale?

Think we are their major bogie team.

Be a good game tonight - 3-1, Smudge, Mass, Williams

Under 7000 unfortunately
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 05:21:33 »

Strange place Rochdale, good away day though. Score first we win, If not draw.
brocklesby red

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 06:00:31 »

Hopefully,the curse of the ex player doesn't strike again with Michael Rose who was decent before we signed him,crap when we signed him and decent again when we got rid. 2-1 Town Smith and Turnbull
thedarkprince

Hubba-hubba

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 06:18:40 »

Conditions are going to be pretty horrible so for that reason alone I think it will be tight: 2-1 Town.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 06:19:02 »

1-1
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 06:37:35 »

Heading across for this one.

Think it might be similar to the Oldham game.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 06:47:10 »

Rochdale are a good footballing side and cannot be underestimated.

They have won away at Crewe 5-2, away at Crewe 3-0 JPT, away at Crawley 4-0, away at Orient 3-2 and put 4 past Walsall too.

Tough game.

1-1 draw with Smith scoring a penalty, 6,223 there with 129 from the Dale.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 06:50:22 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 07:23:00 »

It is proper windy as fuck in Swindon at the moment.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 07:35:43 »

Weather will put a few off...lets hope a win is in order.

Clems Army!
Processed Beats

I drop beats from this processed meat.

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 07:54:05 »

We've never lost to Rochdale.

The fact that they have Michael Rose and Calvin Andrew in their squad worries me more than it should.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 07:56:38 »

Can I go for 'match postponed due to weather' ? We used to often have games postponed when it was windy, as it was deemed unsafe, as bits of the stadium might blow down.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 07:58:45 »

Can I go for 'match postponed due to weather' ? We used to often have games postponed when it was windy, as it was deemed unsafe, as bits of the stadium might blow down.
Oh yes, the old Shrivenham Road 'Aldershot Military Tattoo' Stand. It could stand up to the rigours of 4mph winds but if anything stronger than that was forecast, the game was off  Yes
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: