Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Yeovil Town v Swindon Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 29157 times)
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« on: Friday, October 17, 2014, 23:17:07 »

The Opponent:   After what seems like an absolute eternity, we are back on the road for the trip down to Somerset. We are still sitting well in the league, confidence is up, most of the players have had a break, nothing can go wrong, can it?

Yeovil was first mentioned in about 880 as Gifle. The name was derived from the Celtic river-name gifl "forked river", an earlier name of the River Yeo The town was recorded in the Domesday Book as Givele, a thriving market community. In the 20th century Yeovil developed into a centre of the aircraft and defence industries, which made it a target for bombing in the Second World War, with one of the largest employers being Agusta Westland who manufacture helicopters. Additionally, the Fleet Air Arm has a station RNAS Yeovilton (HMS Heron), the primary base of the Royal Navy's Westland Lynx andSea King helicopters, several miles north of the town and is a major local employer (Ministry of Defence).

If you find yourselves with some free time today then why not pop along to Longman Cheese Sales? A selection of the fabulous cheeses they have on offer include Bath Blue (Soft), Cornish Brie, Black Eye Susan, Cotswold Herb, and Smoked Goldilocks Indian Blanket. They also supply a fine range of hams and pretty much anything you can think of in the way of dairy products. BA22 7BD should you happen to have some time.

Last Time Out – Saturday 11th October – Port Vale 4 Yeovil 1 - Tom Pope scored twice as Port Vale eased past fellow strugglers Yeovil. Before kick-off, Vale chairman Norman Smurthwaite revealed that two clubs had made approaches to sign the striker. Pope's far-post header from Mark Marshall's cross and a tap-in from a Chris Lines corner put Vale 2-0 up. Lines turned in a rebound a minute into the second half and, although Aaron Martin pulled one back from close range, sub Colin Daniel finished well past Jake Kean to seal a routine win.

They have served us both –  Andy Williams, Owain Tudur-Jones, Bill Roost, Kevin Roberts, Richard Plumb, Robert Peart, Alan O’Brien, Kevin Amankwaah, Martin Blackler, Stan Earl, Jimmy Giles, Charlie Griffin, Rollo Jack, Ryan Mason, Denny Mundee, Leigh Barnard, Lee Cox, Rory Fallon, Wayne Gray, Stan Harland, Kevin James, Alex Meechan, Jamie Vincent, Michael Rose, Don Rogers, Chris Porter, Tommy Penn, Louis Page, Nagy Nick, Paul Batty, Liam Dixon, Matt Gemmell, Giulianio Grazioli, Terry Hubbard, Mark Marshall, Les Wilkins, Jon Sheffield, Adam Rooney, Howard Pritchard, Jamie Pitman, Dean Parrett, Jon Obika, Steve Mildenhall

One From The Past – 26th December 2007 - Yeovil Town 0 Swindon Town 1 – 920 of us made the trip to Somerset on Boxing Day 7 years ago. After a bland 60 minutes Barry Corr scored the only goal of the game to send us home with the 3 points. Happy Days.

The Odds –  Yeovil 23/10 Draw 12/5  Swindon 13/10

The Son Says –  He’s already planning life in The Championship, via FIFA 1. 2-0 Win.

The Prediction – I’ve seen some good games against Yeovil, and some equally shit ones. This will fall in to the latter category and be a 3-1 win. Goals from Smith (2) and Williams who will refuse to celebrate in a Balotelli-esque way. 5’999 with a mighty 1’432 from Swindon.

And Finally –  Last time I went to Yeovil it pissed down. Take precautions.

COYR COYR COYR COYR
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, October 17, 2014, 23:24:07 »

3.1 town win for me
Recon Reeves will hit one today, Smith also

5960 overall
1502 town fans

Showers forecast hopefully not between 3 and 5pm
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, October 17, 2014, 23:42:35 »

The Prediction – I’ve seen some good games against Yeovil, and some equally shit ones. This will fall in to the latter category and be a 3-1 win.

Id take a shit 3-1 win any day!

Williams will score. I can see a 3-1/4-1 win
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, October 18, 2014, 00:11:39 »

Time is such a weird thing as SR says, it seems like an eternity since the last game...equally weird is that the Don and Stan Harland both did stints  at Yeovil...perhaps not so strange for the Don, as he is a Somerset boy, but Stan, who I met a number of times was a proper Scouser...indeed his premature death occured when he was running a supermarket in Yeovil, after he'd finished playing for them.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, October 18, 2014, 03:55:49 »

Draw. 1-1.

I'll be on a flight from Mumbai to Heathrow so will be dying to find out how we get on as soon as we land.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
kerry red

« Reply #5 on: Saturday, October 18, 2014, 04:34:10 »

I know a few are still waiting and expecting for the team to 'blow up', but this lot are the best bunch I've seen - ever.

1-4, Williams (ordained), Smudge x 2 and Turnbull

5213 with 1560 bollock chops
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, October 18, 2014, 06:12:03 »

1-3 with 1,650 of us.
REDBUCK

« Reply #7 on: Saturday, October 18, 2014, 06:30:54 »

SR - you forgot to mention the gloves.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #8 on: Saturday, October 18, 2014, 06:42:56 »

My local game just 12 miles down the road for me, first game of the season too.

Hope the match is on as we have had 12 hours of torrential rain and strong winds and its still raining now.

See you all in the Arrow later if it is on.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
stfc1975

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, October 18, 2014, 06:57:29 »

My local game just 12 miles down the road for me, first game of the season too.

Hope the match is on as we have had 12 hours of torrential rain and strong winds and its still raining now.

See you all in the Arrow later if it is on.

Really could do without another postponement. 

1-3 Swindon.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, October 18, 2014, 07:54:21 »

I'm going with little miss Flash....win please...

Clems Army!
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, October 18, 2014, 08:21:17 »

Not raining in Yeovil now according to the Beeb (JJ may tell us otherwise) and none forecast so should be OK.

2-0 Williams (obviously) and Smith
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, October 18, 2014, 08:42:03 »

Local one for me too. 4-1 victory, hat-trick from Willo and a net burster of a wind-assisted shot from Yaser.

1496 hardy town fans to make the trip.

COME ON YOU REDS!
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, October 18, 2014, 09:07:01 »

Incidentally, the yellow filth take on Tranmere today, to see who is the shitest team in the league
kerry red

« Reply #14 on: Saturday, October 18, 2014, 09:19:00 »

We already know that FFS!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: