Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Photo Sizing Software  (Read 2917 times)
Power to people

Ignore
« on: Monday, October 13, 2014, 10:38:36 »

So, we've had some photos done and bought the CD with all the photos, so we now want to get some of the pictures printed but the images supplied are too big.

We want to get them printed at 7 x 5 & 8 x 10

What freebie software can I use to size these correctly, and what image size do I need, I did have a go using MS photo manager but when viewing the pics on snapfish it was cutting things on the left or heads off, so I must have been setting sizes incorrect

reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, October 13, 2014, 10:44:51 »

Not quite sure what you're trying to do from what you've said... are the images the wrong shape rather than the wrong size? If you want to reduce the image size you can use 'Resize' in Picture Manager. If you want to reduce the file size you can use 'Compress Picture'. If it's the wrong shape then you will have to do some cropping.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, October 13, 2014, 10:54:29 »

Take them to a photo shop.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, October 13, 2014, 11:02:53 »

Even MS Paint can resize a picture.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, October 13, 2014, 11:55:33 »

Ok, let me explain what I was doing then - So I have pictures taken by a photographer, I initally uploaded them to snapfish, then viewed at 7 x 5 and for e.g one has part of head chopped of at the top (as it is right close to top of photo) another has part of the body on the left (as it is close to the left edge) cut of.

So went into Picture manager with the photo and resized it to custom size 700 x 500 (for 7 x 5) and saved it (obviously to a different name), uploaded it tried again and this cut more of.

I'm assuming I must be re-sizing incorrect, or putting in the wrong pixel size (as it does not take 7" x 5") - I know it should be easy to re-size

I just want to get them printed - or rather the Mrs does - (while snapfish is 10p a photo)
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, October 13, 2014, 12:14:19 »

Your problem is that the images you have are not in the same aspect ratio of a 7 x 5 print.

If you want a 7 x 5 print then some cropping is going to occur.

If you don't want cropping, you'll have to have white margins at the edge of your printed photo.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, October 13, 2014, 12:25:54 »

so basically as the photographer has either taken or cropped these with the heads etc close to the edge that is why they wont come to 7 x 5 am I right ?

makes sense he should have left space around the edges - so am I right in thinking to go back to them and tell them I'm now not satisfied as they wont print to the sizes normally required ?
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, October 13, 2014, 12:28:21 »

Why can't you just print them as 8x6?
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, October 13, 2014, 12:36:04 »

Mrs wants to put them in an album she has with other photos from over the years (they are of the kids) and the album takes 7 x 5's
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, October 13, 2014, 12:56:22 »

so basically as the photographer has either taken or cropped these with the heads etc close to the edge that is why they wont come to 7 x 5 am I right ?

makes sense he should have left space around the edges - so am I right in thinking to go back to them and tell them I'm now not satisfied as they wont print to the sizes normally required ?

The photographer has done their job. They've taken the shots and given you them as digital copies.

The fact that you want to now print them in a different aspect ratio is your problem, not the photographer's.

If you ordered prints directly from the photographer, they probably would've cropped them differently to get the right aspect ratio.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, October 13, 2014, 12:57:57 »

8x6 is a more standard photo size than 7x5, suspect he'll tell you to do one if you try and claim they're the wrong size. On the flip side, no harm in asking if you explain the problem, rather than trying to blame them for your Mrs having a dodgy photo album Smiley
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, October 13, 2014, 12:59:13 »

Surely the pictures can be cropped whereby you choose which area gets removed?
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #12 on: Monday, October 13, 2014, 13:18:43 »

In Picture Manager use the predefined crop setting. You can then move the area which you want to retain and crop out the bits you don't mind losing.

* Crop.jpg (24.79 KB, 176x402 - viewed 144 times.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: