Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 13   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So when do we allow ourselves to get excited?  (Read 49401 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: Tuesday, December 30, 2014, 13:41:16 »

Reg, If you haven't done so already could you analyse those results using the position the opponents where in when we played them rather than now.  It might read differently.

I'm sure it would, it's really nothing more than an indicator, for example when we got beat by Crawley, they definitely weren't in the  bottom 4, however they weren't very good, yet we still lost.

What it indicates is that there are no easy games in this league...
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: Tuesday, December 30, 2014, 15:05:47 »

A curiosity....having now seen all teams, we've failed to win 9 games.....7 v teams in the bottom half, including 3 against teams in the bottom 4, but only 2 v top half sides.

Isn't that the Swindon way, as long as I have followed them we have consistently beaten teams we should lose to and vice versa - it's the Swindon Town signature season.
lambourn red

« Reply #107 on: Tuesday, December 30, 2014, 15:45:28 »

I'm sure it would, it's really nothing more than an indicator, for example when we got beat by Crawley, they definitely weren't in the  bottom 4, however they weren't very good, yet we still lost.

What it indicates is that there are no easy games in this league...

Not a very good example as if you had been there you would have witnessed the most one sided 1 - 0 defeat ever, it still haunts me leaving that stadium after absolutely dominating for 95% of the game and having 25+ shots , Crawley fans were coming out of the ground in stunned disbelief that they had just won that game with 1 attempt at goal and a very very dodgy penalty. So what it does say is you will always get blips that cannot be attributed to the opposition but how shit the referee on the day is plus how poor our finishing is.
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: Tuesday, December 30, 2014, 19:31:05 »

Not a very good example as if you had been there you would have witnessed the most one sided 1 - 0 defeat ever, it still haunts me leaving that stadium after absolutely dominating for 95% of the game and having 25+ shots , Crawley fans were coming out of the ground in stunned disbelief that they had just won that game with 1 attempt at goal and a very very dodgy penalty. So what it does say is you will always get blips that cannot be attributed to the opposition but how shit the referee on the day is plus how poor our finishing is.
......and even with 10 men it was still so one-sided as to be unbelievable. To say Crawley were lucky would be the understatement of the year. I came out of the ground stunned in disbelief as well!

99 games out of a hundred we would have thrashed them. Poor finishing, luck, dodgy ref, call it what you like......but it was an easy game that we should have, and normally would have, won but, somehow lost.
Flashheart

« Reply #109 on: Monday, January 12, 2015, 21:47:40 »

Fuck yeah!
PHIL!!!!
Our Resident Emo Kid

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: Monday, January 12, 2015, 21:59:35 »

I second the above..... Fuck yeah!

Bassett Bulldogs FC - http://bassettbulldogsfc.co.uk/
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: Monday, January 12, 2015, 22:05:48 »

We, might possibly, actually, be a pretty good team right now. 1 point to safety. Fuck yeah!
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: Monday, January 12, 2015, 22:08:19 »

I won't get excited until May/the job is done.

I dream of my first child entering the world with Swindon Town in The Championship... and one day when said child is older telling him or her tales of a torrid period between the years 2000-2014 when things were just batshit mental most of the time.

I have a dream...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: Monday, January 12, 2015, 22:14:04 »

I too was thinking about "the torrid years" earlier. Since the Fitton takeover, we've had two trips to Wembley, a promotion as (fuckin') champions, the enjoyable insanity of Di Canio, and now a team of embryo that likes to play football and wins away from home.

We may be in a lowly league, but its not been too bad.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: Monday, January 12, 2015, 22:17:47 »

It's all too easy to be excited...not enough of a challenge.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: Monday, January 12, 2015, 22:18:07 »

I too was thinking about "the torrid years" earlier. Since the Fitton takeover, we've had two trips to Wembley, a promotion as (fuckin') champions, the enjoyable insanity of Di Canio, and now a team of embryo that likes to play football and wins away from home.

Of course, but we've also had those midnight exclusives and other assorted molehills that those outside of Swindon and OTIB will know nothing about.
PHIL!!!!
Our Resident Emo Kid

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: Monday, January 12, 2015, 22:23:50 »

We, might possibly, actually, be a pretty good team right now. 1 point to safety. Fuck yeah!
So we're still 1 point from almost certain safety?! That's it, I'm cancelling the open top bus parade until it's certain.. Party poppers back in the loft as well.

Bassett Bulldogs FC - http://bassettbulldogsfc.co.uk/
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: Monday, January 12, 2015, 22:25:26 »

I was thinking exactly the same when the commentators were going over our performance over last 4 years, which got me thinking to the up's, downs etc. since 1990.

He then mentioned that the last thing Everton won was the FA Cup in 1995, got me thinking I am not sure I would want us to get to the premiership and then just struggle to stay there each year... at least our way is interesting!
Flashheart

« Reply #118 on: Monday, January 12, 2015, 22:30:56 »

This is a happy thread you bunch of cunts. Stop talking about negative shit.

(your's the TEF SS)
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: Monday, January 12, 2015, 22:35:44 »

I was thinking exactly the same when the commentators were going over our performance over last 4 years, which got me thinking to the up's, downs etc. since 1990.

He then mentioned that the last thing Everton won was the FA Cup in 1995, got me thinking I am not sure I would want us to get to the premiership and then just struggle to stay there each year... at least our way is interesting!

Most boring thing in the world must be being an everton fan, same grounds/same teams for 100 years pretty much, never any excitement either winning or staying up on the last day, etc etc. spose at least none of them die by heart attack.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to: