Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Leyton Orient v Swindon Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 50724 times)
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« on: Friday, October 3, 2014, 23:02:11 »

The Opponent:   Leyton Orient

Once again we are back on the road, this time with a trip to NE London. Recent away form has been beyond encouraging and I can’t see any reason why we can’t carry that form in today. The loss of Jon Obika is a blow, there is no doubt about that, but both Andy Williams and Michael Smith have looked sharp and have scored goals, it could be worse (Dossevi and Pericard).

In October 2011, Leyton Orient submitted a request to the Football League to move into and become tenants of the London 2012 Olympic Stadium, following complaints over West Ham United being given ownership over the stadium. Orient claimed that the stadium was too close to their stadium, which they claimed would breach FA rules, and by extension, move the club into bankruptcy. There has also been talk of the club moving into the 15,000 seater Riverbank Arena post-Olympics. Interestingly, Orient's crest is made up of two wyverns facing each other over a football. The wyvern symbol was introduced in 1976 and is believed to incorporate Orient's links with the City of London (the wyvern is the symbol of the Thames, it is believed to be the defender of the Thames) and with the sea, through the old Orient Shipping Company. The wyvern on the badge provided the inspiration for the club mascot Theo who got his name from a shortening of the club nickname, The O's.

Leytonstone has its fair share of notable folk including film director Alfred Hitchcock, photographer David Bailey, PR machine David Beckham, Cook Fanny Cradock, former England and Essex cricket captain Graham Gooch, footballers Justin and Gavin Hoyte, Colin Kazim-Richards, actor Sir Derek Jacobi, broadcaster and comedian Tony Robinson, general twat Jonathan Ross and his no mark brother Paul and Blue Peter’s Julie Sarpong.

Last Time Out –  Leyton Orient 2 Rochdale 3 Att  4405 - Two goals from Matty Done helped 10-man Rochdale to a 3-2 win at managerless Leyton Orient. Done struck first on four minutes from 20 yards before Jobi McAnuff's fierce volley levelled the scores. Dale defender Ashley Eastham saw red for bringing down Chris Dagnall but the striker's penalty was saved. Romain Vincelot's header gave the O's the lead before Peter Vincenti equalised and Done then stole it for the high-flying visitors on the break.
Starting XI –  Woods, Omuzusi, Baudry, Lowry, Jug Ear Cuthbert, McAnuff (Mooney 70), Cox, James (Pritchard 26), Vincelot, Henderson (Batt 67), Dagnall. Leyton Orient currently sit 19th on 10 points from 9 games.

They have served us both –  Adrian Whitbread, Teddy Ware, John Smith, Alex Revell, George O’Hanlon, Stan Morgan, Martin Ling, Pat Kanyuka, Tom Wells, Jonathan Tehoue, Billy Reynolds, Dave Partridge, Harry Morris, Craig Maskell, Richard Key, Percy Whipp, Norman Thomson, Alex Smith, David Peach, Tom Newton, Alan McCormack, Jimmy Lee, Billy Batty, Wayne Carlisle, Mark Cooper, Jamie Cureton, Jackie Dryden, Craig Easton, Steve Finney, John Gorman, Calvin Andrew, John Baynham, Glenn Cockerill, John Cornwell, Scott Cuthbert, Daren Dykes, Rhys Evans, Fred Fisher, Nigel Gray, Arthur Barraclough, Gary Alexander, Jack Brinton, Ralph Codling, Ian Culverhouse, Kevin Dearden, Stan Earl, Neale Fenn, Andy Frampton, Wayne Gray

One From The Past –  Saturday December 11th 1971 – Orient 0 Swindon Town 1 Back in the day of Football League Division 2, we travelled to Leytonstone and picked up the 3 points courtesy of an Arthur Horsfield goal. Some great names in the team that day including Rogers, Downsborough, Trollope, Mackay and Thomas. I’d take the same result today.

The Odds –  Leyton Orient 7/5  Draw 21/10  Swindon 21/10

The Son Says – .High on confidence with recent performances he has gone for a 2-0 Town win.

The Prediction – I went to Orient a few years back, dire 0-0 if I remember rightly, freezing cold and the grotty steak pie at the ground poisoned me. 2-1 Win, goals from Smith and Luongo, 4,878 with 688 from Swindon.

And Finally – Orient's golden years were in the 1960s and 1970s. In the 1961/62 season Orient were promoted to the top tier of English football, the First Division, now the FA Premier League, for the only time in their history, after finishing second in Division Two under the management of Johnny Carey. The team struggled in the top flight and were relegated from the top division the following season. Nonetheless, they did defeat local rivals West Ham United at home.

COYR COYR COYR COYR
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, October 3, 2014, 23:08:26 »

First reply

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, October 3, 2014, 23:09:58 »

Anything of any note happened recently ??
Any goalkeepers been punched ?
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, October 3, 2014, 23:12:56 »

688 from Swindon is pretty conservative. I thought we'd sold more than that a few days ago?
RWB Robin

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, October 3, 2014, 23:16:00 »

886 last figure quoted

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, October 3, 2014, 23:21:42 »

That's about what Oxford took to Luton for their big "grudge match"
(on their website people say it's more dangerous than going to Swindon)

So pretty good turnout I'd say
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, October 4, 2014, 00:55:51 »

Quality write up SR.

In many ways you have to admire the 3-4000 who turn up regularly to watch Orient, and it's good to see them unusually in a position to push on to massiveness. Despite a slow start, as pre-favourites to win the league, I think tomorrow will be a defining moment in their history
JayBox325

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, October 4, 2014, 01:09:41 »

Considering we've pre-sold 904 tickets (on the official twitter) and they've had to release the away end to a pay on the gate deal I'd say we're looking at 1,100 away fans being there at least.

Buzzing for this. Had a night out with work mates, just got in, off to bed now, I'll see you chaps tomorrow! Got a drive to Frome in the old Mini in the morning, then a swap over to my mate's proper car suitable for a long trip to London followed by hopefully a quality game of footy.

Really excited for it and I'm very confident in a town win. 3-1.

COYR

Zzz

Swindon Town Displays. Can you help out?
http://www.gofundme.com/STFCDisplays
Flashheart

« Reply #8 on: Saturday, October 4, 2014, 05:08:45 »

First reply

Please tell me that you're not serious!
kerry red

« Reply #9 on: Saturday, October 4, 2014, 05:15:38 »

My first away game of the season.

Premonition of 1-4 so have had a cheeky tenner on at 66/1

1231 Piggites in a crowd of 5234

Williams x 2, Smith (pen) and a belter from Kasim
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, October 4, 2014, 06:23:03 »

3-1 to us.
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, October 4, 2014, 06:45:09 »

Please tell me that you're not serious!
Can't you just delete it and we'll pretend it never  happened.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, October 4, 2014, 06:52:15 »

Cheers for the top intro. Tough battle in the rain today. O's 1-1 Town. About time for another dubious penalty.

It would be a real shame if Orient suffered because of the Olympic Stadium situation. It is one of those clubs I've nothing against and feels like significant part of a town within a big city community. Still never seen us win there, or even score.

For all those going, enjoy your day in The Smoke.
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, October 4, 2014, 07:16:54 »

1-3 Smith, Kasim & Williams.

Roaming the land while you sleep..
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, October 4, 2014, 07:33:26 »

general twat Jonathan Ross and his no mark brother Paul
Very much so Yes