Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coopers Kids  (Read 8501 times)
RedRag

Ignore
« on: Monday, September 29, 2014, 22:39:50 »

It's a fragile 9 games old, the buzz at the CG is still barely flickering but there's been a really special feeling growing this season.

Daniel Hunt's article in the Washbag on the Barnsley game helped me realise what chord was being struck for me and it was the extreme relative youth of the team we are privileged to be supporting.

Not since the legendary Bert's Babes of the early 60s which saw Town first rise to and then briefly stun the second tier have Town had such a young side, with the Barnsley starters the 19th youngest ever in STFC history and it seems the youngest 20 ever teams are all early 60s or this season. 

Here are the stats with thanks to @dphunt88 and his own source www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk

http://fraserdigbyswashbag.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/2014-09-27-average-age.jpg?w=696
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, September 30, 2014, 06:29:29 »

So the average age of our team at Barnsley was 8069.

And that's without Darren Ward in the side. We're not as young a side as I thought we were Huh?
dphunt88

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, September 30, 2014, 07:21:54 »

Daniel Hunt's article in the Washbag on the Barnsley game helped me realise what chord was being struck for me and it was the extreme relative youth of the team we are privileged to be supporting.

Not since the legendary Bert's Babes of the early 60s which saw Town first rise to and then briefly stun the second tier have Town had such a young side, with the Barnsley starters the 19th youngest ever in STFC history and it seems the youngest 20 ever teams are all early 60s or this season.

Thank you RedRag! Much appreciated.

Over the last few years we've been subjected to several extremes at Swindon Town...

1. Big spending, experienced players, my way or the highway approach from Di Canio! With all the fun/madness/controversy that came with it

2. Budget reducing, young players + smart use of loan system, player development and total football approach from Cooper/Power.

And it makes you realise, there's more than one way to skin a cat! Long long way to go this season though...

Enthusiastic Loathed Strangers Podcast contributor.
Local media whore.
Ernie Hunt's second cousin, honest!
Overweight local cricket all-rounder!
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, September 30, 2014, 07:28:54 »

On that note, do you have a particular favourite way to skin a cat? Out of the options you have..

Roaming the land while you sleep..
kerry red

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, September 30, 2014, 07:49:18 »

Talking of cats . . .

Something got into my car overnight and pissed in it.

Fucking awful stench on the way to work.

Cant for the life of me see how anything got in and then out again.
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, September 30, 2014, 07:53:28 »

There's not a body in the boot, is there?

dphunt88

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, September 30, 2014, 07:56:10 »

On that note, do you have a particular favourite way to skin a cat? Out of the options you have..

Presuming that we're talking football and not cat murder  Wink

I've enjoyed both approaches in different ways. I'd say that I've never had so much fun following Swindon Town as in the season in League Two under Di Canio. It was bonkers! Almost every day, you'd wake up and there'd have been something newsworthy happen at STFC (good and bad!)... players coming and going through the revolving door... that feeling that we were unstoppable in the League (and cups), bordering on arrogance - rare feeling for a Swindon fan.

BUT... there was always the over-riding feeling that things would come to a sticky end and that we'd have to enjoy it while it lasts! Sure enough, Andrew Black got bored and so did Di Canio.

Our current approach of taking rough diamonds like Rossi-Branco + Kasim + Barker and polishing them up... as well as taking on Premier League youngsters who've not made the grade at their parent clubs (Luongo, Byrne, Obika)... has created a nice mix of hungry young players in the squad.

Chuck in some home grown players (Thompsons x 2 and to a lesser extent Storey/Waldon) to keep in touch with the club's roots and I think any success the club has in the next 5-10 will feel much more organic for a supporter. Let's face it, there's only 7-8,000 of us hardcore - which means that ownership of that success is much more personal for us than at a massive club with world wide appeal.

So long as there's a Swindon Town FC, I'm happy!

Enthusiastic Loathed Strangers Podcast contributor.
Local media whore.
Ernie Hunt's second cousin, honest!
Overweight local cricket all-rounder!
kerry red

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, September 30, 2014, 07:58:46 »

There's not a body in the boot, is there?

Believe me, I looked alright. It was dark driving to work this morning and I had the heebie jeebies that all of a sudden some mammal or other would leap at me.

Further inspection later
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, September 30, 2014, 08:06:18 »

Believe me, I looked alright. It was dark driving to work this morning and I had the heebie jeebies that all of a sudden some mammal or other would leap at me.

Further inspection later

Keep me informed.

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, September 30, 2014, 08:26:40 »

Talking of cats . . .

Something got into my car overnight and pissed in it.

Fucking awful stench on the way to work.

Cant for the life of me see how anything got in and then out again.
Incontinent dementia? Wink

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Sir Pissalot

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, September 30, 2014, 09:21:08 »

Keep me informed.

How will he be able to do that if the incontinent psycopath currently hiding in the back of his car gets him?  Hmmm
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, September 30, 2014, 09:40:38 »

How will he be able to do that if the incontinent psycopath currently hiding in the back of his car gets him?  Hmmm

Maybe the incontinent psychopath can post on his behalf?..

BruceChatwin

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, September 30, 2014, 09:47:19 »

Presuming that we're talking football and not cat murder  Wink

I've enjoyed both approaches in different ways. I'd say that I've never had so much fun following Swindon Town as in the season in League Two under Di Canio. It was bonkers! Almost every day, you'd wake up and there'd have been something newsworthy happen at STFC (good and bad!)... players coming and going through the revolving door... that feeling that we were unstoppable in the League (and cups), bordering on arrogance - rare feeling for a Swindon fan.

BUT... there was always the over-riding feeling that things would come to a sticky end and that we'd have to enjoy it while it lasts! Sure enough, Andrew Black got bored and so did Di Canio.

Our current approach of taking rough diamonds like Rossi-Branco + Kasim + Barker and polishing them up... as well as taking on Premier League youngsters who've not made the grade at their parent clubs (Luongo, Byrne, Obika)... has created a nice mix of hungry young players in the squad.

Chuck in some home grown players (Thompsons x 2 and to a lesser extent Storey/Waldon) to keep in touch with the club's roots and I think any success the club has in the next 5-10 will feel much more organic for a supporter. Let's face it, there's only 7-8,000 of us hardcore - which means that ownership of that success is much more personal for us than at a massive club with world wide appeal.

So long as there's a Swindon Town FC, I'm happy!

Good post.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, September 30, 2014, 09:48:14 »

Maybe the incontinent psychopath can post on his behalf?..

We'd probably get more sense out of him.
Sir Pissalot

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, September 30, 2014, 10:38:21 »

We'd probably get more sense out of him.

Yes
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: