Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 13   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Newport County v Swindon Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 36776 times)
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« on: Monday, September 22, 2014, 23:08:11 »

The Opponent:   Newport County

Not much left to say about Saturday apart from wow. We sit 4th in the League and rightfully so, which in one sense reels out the old cliché, “I don’t care if we go out tonight, concentrate on the league”, which is all very true as we want out of League 1 as soon as possible,, but on the other hand, we don’t want us to lose any games, especially against the Welsh.

Newport has been a port since medieval times, when a castle was built by the Normans. The town outgrew the earlier Roman town of Caerleon, immediately upstream, and gained its first charter in 1314. It grew significantly in the 19th century, when its port became the focus of coal exports from the eastern valleys of South Wales. Until the rise of Cardiff from the 1850s, Newport was Wales' largest coal-exporting port. It was the site of the last large-scale armed insurrection in Britain, the Newport Rising of 1839 led by the Chartists. During the 20th century, the docks declined in importance, but Newport remained an important centre for manufacturing and engineering.   It was granted city status in 2002 and even hosted the Ryder Cup in 2010. Newport is the 3rd largest city in Wales. At the mouth of the River Usk, the Sims Metal Management plant hosts the world's largest industrial shredder for scrap metal with access by road, rail and sea. The plant, which is also the world's largest car crusher which was featured in the TV series, How do they do it.

Last Time Out –  Shrewsbury 0 Newport 0. The battle of the Welsh lower league powerhouses proved to be rather dull.
Starting XI –  Day, Jones, Hughes, Poole (Jackson), Chapman, Byrne, Minshull, Sandell, Willmott, Piggot, Zebroski. I’m guessing that must be journeyman local Chris Zebroski?

They have served us both – Andy Gurney, Ashan Holgate, Stuart James. Jimmy Kelso, Louis Lean, Billy Lucas, Alan Mayes, Louis Page, Ken Stroud, Rod Thomas, Jack Webb, Bert Young, Bobby Woodruff, Gary Thorne, Chris Taylor, Bob Scott, Ken McPherson, Gary Marshall, Norman Low, Alec Lambie, Steve Jenkins, Wynne Hooper, Jon Hallworth, Bobby Weale, Pat Terry, Michael Smith, Kevin Moore, Harry Martin, Syd Lowry, Ray Lawrance, Dai Jones, Ralph Hunt, Tom Helsby, Steve Aizelwood, Paul Bodin, Lance Carr, Gary Emmanuel, Mark Draycott, Steve Cowe, David Cole, George Barker, Jimmy Gilligan, Arthur Briggs, Roy Carter, Bob Collins, David Cunningham, Dai Edwards, Will Evans, Howard Goddard, Steve Berry, Charlie Griffin, Alex Ferguson, John Emanuel, Albert Derrick, Chris Collins, William Chivers, Jack Brinton.

One From The Past – December 26th 1980 – Att 7’086. Newport 0 Swindon 2. A goal in either half from Chris Kamara and Russell Lewis made it a happy journey home for the travelling fans. Both teams were battling near the wrong end of Division Three at the time.

The Odds –  Newport 5/2 Draw 12/5 Swindon 11/8

The Son Says – After the thrashing of The Blades, he seems confident we will keep scoring hatfuls. 3-0 victory.

The Prediction – Tougher than it looks on paper, big night for Ty Belford, good luck. 0-2 win, goals from Smith and Kasim, 2’980 in attendance with 444 from Swindon.

And Finally – As part of the city's "Big Splash" festival, on 30 August 2010, 45-year-old French circus star Olivier Roustan from Toulouse, performed the highest ever wirewalk in Europe, along the top cable of the Newport City Footbridge. Sod that.

COYR COYR COYR COYR
STFCFORLIFE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, September 22, 2014, 23:19:31 »

Kasim is suspended.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, September 22, 2014, 23:39:46 »

Wynne Hooper in the "they served us both"  Sad  Wynne would have to be up in my top 5 worse ever players.

The first time I clapped eyes on him, he came on as sub in a 0-4 home defeat to Posh in in 77, and was terrible. A shame because we'd been on a decent run and had on paper a decent side...Wynne followed it up 3 days later with a start at Selhurst Park and an 0-5 defeat....what was Danny Williams thinking?  Danny, didn't get them all right, in the same way our present lot don't get them all right....the secret is get more right than you get wrong.

Moral of the story, beware of players called Hooper.....see Dean.

Also didn't Robert Woodruff play for Newport as well as 1 game for us.  Dad Bobby, would in this day and age be an STFC hero for his 180 appearances, who it was reckoned had the longest throw in, in English football.
« Last Edit: Monday, September 22, 2014, 23:53:43 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, September 22, 2014, 23:56:45 »

Kasim is suspended.

His spirit will motivate someone else.
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, September 23, 2014, 00:00:45 »

Wynne Hooper in the "they served us both"  Sad  Wynne would have to be up in my top 5 worse ever players.

The first time I clapped eyes on him, he came on as sub in a 0-4 home defeat to Posh in in 77, and was terrible. A shame because we'd been on a decent run and had on paper a decent side...Wynne followed it up 3 days later with a start at Selhurst Park and an 0-5 defeat....what was Danny Williams thinking?  Danny, didn't get them all right, in the same way our present lot don't get them all right....the secret is get more right than you get wrong.

Moral of the story, beware of players called Hooper.....see Dean.

Also didn't Robert Woodruff play for Newport as well as 1 game for us.  Dad Bobby, would in this day and age be an STFC hero for his 180 appearances, who it was reckoned had the longest throw in, in English football.

You are correct with the Woodruff's Reg.
kerry red

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, September 23, 2014, 03:17:26 »

Dean Hooper was mighty quick - that sums up his prowess as a player.

0-1, 1899, 524 travelling Reds, Williams would be an appropriate scorer
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, September 23, 2014, 04:23:26 »

Sept 86 last time town were in Newport for a game.
2 all, Wade with both.
We got promotion that year they were on the slide to obscurity.

Was there for that one, hired z hire van which we went clubbing that night to Brizzle in.
Happy days.

New ground this one for me and expecting town to be strong enough even with changes for  2 nil win. Williams brace.
1950 with 600 English in attendance.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, September 23, 2014, 05:00:05 »

Who were the other four Reg?

Only went to Somerton Park once, a 0-0 or 0-1 defeat in D4 days followed by a poisonous pint of Brain's bitter on the way home. Bad barrel, or does it always taste like sick?

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, September 23, 2014, 07:29:00 »

Enjoyed our previous two runs in this competition but won't be overly bothered if we go out tonight.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, September 23, 2014, 07:51:23 »

The most important thing about tonight is to come out of it without any injures/suspensions. I would rest entire starting XI from Saturday if it was allowed. Barnsley game is 10 times more important.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, September 23, 2014, 07:57:37 »

Normally want to see us win every game, but I'd also settle for the above tonight.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, September 23, 2014, 08:04:09 »

0-1
Att: 1,422 (533)
sonicyouth

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, September 23, 2014, 08:04:30 »

Newport has a lovely RSPB reserve. Supposedly a great place to see bearded tit...
brocklesby red

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, September 23, 2014, 08:11:24 »

It's ok saying you don't mind if we lose and consider the barnsley game more important,but surely if we're going to play Belford,Reeves,Williams,Lelan etc,then you don't want them having their confidence dented. A win will keep the run going and I think we will have too much for Newport. 2-0 Reeves free-kick and Barker
kerry red

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, September 23, 2014, 08:16:22 »

Reeves has given a taste of  what he is about and look forward to seeing him over a full 90 minutes.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to: