Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The portrayal of Swindon (is this what they think of us?)  (Read 5037 times)
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Friday, September 19, 2014, 21:48:36 »

Late summer early autumn, always seems to be a bit of a quiet time for birds, haven't really seen anything much for maybe 5 or 6 weeks.
Birds have (mostly) finished breeding so are far more inconspicuous - or perhaps conspicuous in their silent absence - as have no need to sing in order to attract a mate or dash around frantically to feed a brood and many will also begin to moult around this time of year. The departure of the local swallows, whose imminent migration was marked by large numbers congregating on the overhead telephone lines outside the house, was a melancholy event this year. However, winter is also a great time for birds as they're generally a little easier to spot and our departed summer migrants are substituted with winter migrants arriving and I'll start getting value for money from my WWT membership...

Unbelievable this week had a Willow Warbler visit the garden on 2 consecutive mornings.
Not seen it since as likely to be migrating however last year even had a Blackcap visit during November.
House Martins are still in the nest and expect them to depart during the week.

One downside a Sparrowhawk is back taking a Starling and Goldfinch this week.

Glad to see the Greenfinches back. Two years ago numbers took a hammering due to a virus (some say poisoning due to contaminated food in this Country).

My Mate saw a Hobby as well the other day.
We get plenty of garden birds but nothing of any real interest or particularly unusual, aside from a pheasant who has taken up residence for the past couple of years. Interestingly our garden seems to be a total blackspot when it comes to migratory birds.

Sparrowhawk visits occasionally but not seen for a few months, Buzzards nest nearby and their mewing call pierces the silence in the summer evenings. Very often see a Kestrel in the fields along the A338 between Wantage and work, where there are numerous Red Kites who soar magnificently. I'd love to see a Hobby but will settle for the Marsh Harrier that I saw on a spectacularly rainy day last year.

I was fortunate enough to fly a harris hawk today, a genuinely fascinating experience.

Birds are great. And underappreciated.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Friday, September 19, 2014, 23:51:22 »

Long tailed tits in the hedge behind me and a nice spotted woodpecker on occasion.

Clems Army!
Baggins

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Saturday, September 20, 2014, 06:52:37 »

I know nothing about birds.

In terms of the portrayal of Swindon, there's not too much to worry about.  I live and work up north, and I'd say about 80% of people I've met in the past few years respond to "I'm from Swindon" with "where's that?".
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Saturday, September 20, 2014, 10:03:33 »

I was fortunate enough to fly a harris hawk today, a genuinely fascinating experience.

you must be very small
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Saturday, September 20, 2014, 11:13:27 »

Birds have (mostly) finished breeding so are far more inconspicuous - or perhaps conspicuous in their silent absence - as have no need to sing in order to attract a mate or dash around frantically to feed a brood and many will also begin to moult around this time of year. The departure of the local swallows, whose imminent migration was marked by large numbers congregating on the overhead telephone lines outside the house, was a melancholy event this year. However, winter is also a great time for birds as they're generally a little easier to spot and our departed summer migrants are substituted with winter migrants arriving and I'll start getting value for money from my WWT membership...
We get plenty of garden birds but nothing of any real interest or particularly unusual, aside from a pheasant who has taken up residence for the past couple of years. Interestingly our garden seems to be a total blackspot when it comes to migratory birds.

Sparrowhawk visits occasionally but not seen for a few months, Buzzards nest nearby and their mewing call pierces the silence in the summer evenings. Very often see a Kestrel in the fields along the A338 between Wantage and work, where there are numerous Red Kites who soar magnificently. I'd love to see a Hobby but will settle for the Marsh Harrier that I saw on a spectacularly rainy day last year.

Last year a pair of Hobby's were often seen around Sutton Courtenay near the Fish Inn.
Used to see them most evenings when walking the river or fishing.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: