Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Oldham Athletic Official Matchday Thread  (Read 28023 times)
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« on: Monday, September 15, 2014, 23:00:57 »

The Opponent:   Oldham Athletic

After a great away win on Saturday, and Jon Obika scoring more goals in 1 game than he has since he was 12, and long may they continue, its back under the lights at The County Ground for the visit of Oldham. We are sitting fairly well in 6th place and another 3 points tonight will help push on to safety before Christmas for the pessimists and towards cementing our play off place for the more optimistic amongst us. In other football news, Oxford remain shit and looking set for a return to the Vanarama Conference.

Interestingly, The toponymy of Oldham seems to imply "old village or place" from Eald (Saxon) signifying oldness or antiquity, and Ham (Saxon) a house, farm or hamlet. Oldham is however known to be a derivative of Aldehulme, undoubtedly an Old Norse name. It is believed to be derived from the Old English ald combined with the Old Norse holmi or holmr, meaning "promontory or outcrop", possibly describing the town's hilltop position. It has alternatively been suggested that it may mean "holm or hulme of a farmer named Alda". The name is understood to date from 865, during the period of the Danelaw obviously.

People from Oldham are called Oldhamers, though "Roughyed" is a nickname from the 18th century when rough felt was used in Oldham to make hats. Radio 1’s Nick Grimshaw is from Oldham, as are actors, Eric Sykes and Bernard Cribbins, TV host Phillip Schofield, and comedy double act/double glazing salesmen Tommy Cannon and Bobby Ball. Brian Cox (physicist), the physicist, is a native of Oldham. His YouTube videos are convenient examples of the local accent.

Last Time Out – 13th September -  Oldham 0 The Pikies 0 – A game that produces 21 shots without a goal must have been little compensation to the 3’785 hardy souls. Oldham dominated the game with no real end product and currently find themselves on 9 points and very much mid-table.

Starting XI –  Rackchuba, Wilson, Mills, Elokobi, Wilson, Winchester, Kelly, Dayton (Morgan Smith 82), Jones, Philliskirk, Poleon.

Oldham Chronicle - Jonathan Forte could be ready to face Swindon tomorrow — but Athletic must play a waiting game on a striker target. Forte missed the scoreless home draw with Gillingham with a thigh injury, but the club’s five-goal top scorer has a chance of appearing in the league clash at the County Ground.

They have served us both – Hasney  Aljofree Tom Devlin, Alex Downie, Neil Harris, Benny Jones, Andy Todd, Alan Sheehahahahahahahahahahahan, Anton Rodgers, Cristian Montano, Brian Kilcline, Ray Treacy, Jon Sheffield, Adam Roonery, Chris Ogden, Frank Large, Fede Bessone, Fraser Digby, Paul Edwards, Don Heath, Chris Jones, Leon Clarkje, Jimmy Thompson, Abe Rosenthal, Sam Parkin, Steve Mildenhall, John Kelly, Jack Hurst, David Down, Jon Hallworth.

One From The Past –  5th April 2008 – Swindon Town 3 Oldham Athletic 0. A massive crowd of 5’384 packed in to The County Ground for this one, doubt there will be much more tonight. After a rather dour first half we picked up in the 2nd to record a comfortable win with a goal from Lee Peacock and 2 from Simon Cox.  Cox and Peacock aside, we really didn’t have much of a team that day with names such as Aljofree on the team sheet.

The Odds –  Swindon Evens  Draw 12/5  Oldham 3/1  After a cracking start for our new striker he is now best priced 6/1 with a couple of outlets to score the 1st goal. I hope Obika and Smith can form a decent partnership up front, the goals are there, it seems.

The Son Says –  Happy with our 6th place he remains in a confident mood. 2-0 home win.

The Prediction – I think I may have actually got Saturday’s right, that 2 in 1 season already, promotion is on the cards. 3-0 win, 2 from Smith and 1 from Obika, 6’545 in attendance with 187 from Greater Manchester.

And Finally –  The Oldham town hall has been listed as a historical building of significance. Built in 1841, the town hall features an ionic portico adapted from the Athenian architecture and was used by Sir Winston Churchill in 1900 during his famous inauguration speech when he won his first parliamentary seat. If you look at the outside of the building, you will see a Blue Plaque that marks the event.

COYR COYR COYR COYR
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, September 15, 2014, 23:24:03 »

There's a few curious names under the "they served us both" ....who'd have thunk David Down...mad.

My earliest memorable match v Oldham was in 66, when we beat them 6-3 at the CG, with the Don getting a hat trick.

That was a sort of embryonic 69 side....7 played at Wembley....but at that point a bit inconsistent, we either battered teams, or would go on poor runs, like losing 6 in a row in Jan Feb, when engaged in a cup run.

In fact with Oldham, at the CG, we either win comfortably, draw or lose 0-1 in dour circumstances....like earlier this year.

The little spate of 2-2 draws in the 90's used to do my head in.....Roger Palmer *shudder*

kerry red

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, September 16, 2014, 02:44:43 »

Need to be patient tonight - they haven't conceded a goal for ages but are struggling to score themselves.

Be my first game viewing from the TE for years tonight.

1-0, 6712 with 148 Mancs. Smudge back on the scoresheet
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, September 16, 2014, 07:07:34 »

I think it could be a frustrating night tonight, but given our performances this season and particularly the improved resilience we've been showing I'm cautiously optimistic!

If we can get in front early then I think it could be quite comfortable but Oldham will be all out to stop us in the final third and we're a bit lack there anyway, so we could be in for a grumbly (is that a word?) county ground this evening.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, September 16, 2014, 07:37:53 »

Alan Sheehahahahahahahahahahahan

Clap

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, September 16, 2014, 08:00:22 »

Hopefully Stephens will back tonight.

Im too confident about tonight and should know better, easy 3-0 win (Obika, Mass & Byrne)
brocklesby red

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, September 16, 2014, 08:02:32 »

We have goals throughout the team now and even though I think Oldham will score tonight,I'm confident that we'll manage at least two ourselves. Comfortable 3-1 Smith,Luongo and Williams to send 6389 home happy and 87 from Oldham chuntering about our inability to stay on our feet after being assaulted
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, September 16, 2014, 09:50:43 »

They seem to be on an upward curve after the last few seasons of struggling, so will be tight, but we should have enough in the tank. Slim 1-0 win I reckon.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, September 16, 2014, 09:56:58 »

Be my first game viewing from the TE for years tonight.

What's your eyesight like....be warned the view from the TE is never the best, but for night games under the ever dwindling lux of the floodlights, events at the Bank, can approach guess work.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, September 16, 2014, 09:59:55 »

2-0

Att: 6,077 (187)
Sir Pissalot

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, September 16, 2014, 10:08:43 »

They've been a bit of a bogey team for us recently but I'm going for a 2-0 win for us this time. 

Att: 7001, including 161 Latics (annoyingly, I believe one of them travels with a f*cking drum)
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, September 16, 2014, 10:09:36 »

They do have a drum, they're always pretty noisy as well to be fair to them.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, September 16, 2014, 10:18:22 »

They've been a bit of a bogey team for us recently but I'm going for a 2-0 win for us this time. 

Att: 7001, including 161 Latics (annoyingly, I believe one of them travels with a f*cking drum)

For some reason, we often seem to get Oldham on a Tuesday night....be warned an early season loss at home to the Latics, can be a portent of relegation like in 93/94 and 05/06, although in both those instances it was the home opener.
Sir Pissalot

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, September 16, 2014, 10:24:03 »

For some reason, we often seem to get Oldham on a Tuesday night....be warned an early season loss at home to the Latics, can be a portent of relegation like in 93/94 and 05/06, although in both those instances it was the home opener.

It's not like you to be pessimistic Reg!    Grin
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, September 16, 2014, 10:28:50 »

It's not like you to be pessimistic Reg!    Grin

Cassandra Smeeton has a certain ring to it.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: