Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Things that give you the heebie jeebies.  (Read 8013 times)
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Thursday, September 11, 2014, 09:09:08 »

For nervous flyers there is only one real prescription - half a Valium and half a bottle of spirits, taken the hour before takeoff in the airport bar.

For most fearful flyers it is just ignorance of what they think will happen and what will/can happen and lack of being in control. Once I understood more and had it explained my fear dropped by about 90%
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Thursday, September 11, 2014, 09:49:51 »

Also realising planes are awesome. Because they are.
Sir Pissalot

« Reply #47 on: Thursday, September 11, 2014, 09:58:18 »

Can someone put up that footage of the radio mast workers in America who climb up around 1600ft?  The last bit when they climb the mast is awesome.

Whatever they're being paid, it's not enough! 

Watching that, so many "what ifs..." come to mind.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Thursday, September 11, 2014, 10:56:03 »

Whatever they're being paid, it's not enough! 

Watching that, so many "what ifs..." come to mind.

I've seen it before, but it still gives me the full heebs, especially after the 7-minute mark: sweaty palms, stomach and everything else from the waist down churning and aching. Funny that it doesn't even need to be you doing it, and you know it ends ok, but it doesn't change a thing. Horrible.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
kerry red

« Reply #49 on: Thursday, September 11, 2014, 11:00:00 »

That made me feel sick.

Must be even harder coming down
Sir Pissalot

« Reply #50 on: Thursday, September 11, 2014, 11:16:25 »

Probably a little tricky lighting your cigarette, too!   Smiley
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Thursday, September 11, 2014, 20:20:43 »

For most fearful flyers it is just ignorance of what they think will happen and what will/can happen and lack of being in control. Once I understood more and had it explained my fear dropped by about 90%

For me it has been the complete opposite.  The more I fly, the older I get and the more I know about the things that cause plane crashes, the more petrified I have become.

That plane that crashed after taking off from JFK, where the pilot shook the engine off by simply applying his foot on the rudder control for fucks sake.

Heights, Deep Water and in recent years planes all get me.  Heights tends to be manageable when my feet are enclosed somehow, but exposed feet = full on attacks.  I lasted 10 seconds up the Stratosphere but can get by up the Empire State Building.
« Last Edit: Thursday, September 11, 2014, 20:28:57 by RobertT » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: