Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cars  (Read 55636 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: Monday, May 23, 2016, 12:43:49 »

I don't get it. Drive to hotel. Unpack. Job done.

That's it, its a lovely idea but £10-15k (plus c.£500 a year maintaining it) buys a lot of nights in hotels/weeks in holiday cottages.

I used to work in the trade years ago and it shocked me how much people would spend year on year maintaining the things, don't get me wrong my mate has a lovely T4 and we had a great weekend in Belgium watching the Tour of Flanders earlier this year (it was a little like Max and Paddy!) plus it was dead handy to move stuff when we moved house.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: Monday, May 23, 2016, 14:04:42 »

Different strokes for different folks. We (the wife and I) just like the idea of being able to pack up the car/van and decide to go somewhere for a weekend.

Although I am off for two weeks all inclusive from Thursday Smiley
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: Monday, May 23, 2016, 14:17:44 »

I was joking Sam, but it's fair to say family camping trips and scouts as kid put me off somewhat! maybe we'll do camping in the south of France sometime.

going anywhere nice? we are doing a week in Tenerife over half term, can't wait..
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: Monday, May 23, 2016, 14:44:56 »

I was joking Sam, but it's fair to say family camping trips and scouts as kid put me off somewhat! maybe we'll do camping in the south of France sometime.

going anywhere nice? we are doing a week in Tenerife over half term, can't wait..
There's nothing better than a decent French campsite, and there are 100's of them. I've recently bought a transit van, and fully intend chucking an airbed, sleeping bag, and calor grill in the back, and heading over there 3 or 4 times this year.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: Monday, May 23, 2016, 16:02:59 »

I believe I have turned myself into a snob.  I can't stand the thought of a holiday involving me staying in facilities worse than my own home.  I even turn my nose up at B&B's without en-suite (in this day and age!), in fact, B&B's for a holiday repulse me now.  It even annoys me that 2 star is an option on expedia.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #110 on: Monday, May 23, 2016, 16:25:04 »

I've got a very young child and I'm not one of those infuriating cunts that thinks it's ok to take a baby on a plane. I like camping, I like going mountain biking, I want a vehicle that I can fit my whole family and kit in and just piss off somewhere at a moment's notice.

On top of all that, the wish to own a camper van was one of the last coherent things my old man said to me before he died and I'm using some of the inheritance he left me to complete his dream and make new memories with my own son.

Soppy shit, maybe. But we all choose to honour the memories of our loved ones in our way, and this is one of mine.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: Monday, May 23, 2016, 16:37:37 »

Nothing wrong with taking a baby on a short haul flight.
Panda Paws

« Reply #112 on: Monday, May 23, 2016, 18:37:51 »

Nothing wrong with taking a baby on a short haul flight.

Unless you're one of the other 150 passengers.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: Monday, May 23, 2016, 18:48:28 »

I've got a very young child and I'm not one of those infuriating cunts that thinks it's ok to take a baby on a plane. I like camping, I like going mountain biking, I want a vehicle that I can fit my whole family and kit in and just piss off somewhere at a moment's notice.

On top of all that, the wish to own a camper van was one of the last coherent things my old man said to me before he died and I'm using some of the inheritance he left me to complete his dream and make new memories with my own son.

Soppy shit, maybe. But we all choose to honour the memories of our loved ones in our way, and this is one of mine.

Nice one..

Clems Army!
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: Tuesday, May 24, 2016, 11:26:44 »

*thread bump*

Considering dropping the boring family wagon Renault Grand Scenic for a Civic Type R. 3 doors with 2 boys aged 6 and 3? What could go wrong...  Yes No

Yes

Had ep3 and fn2. Fn2 better for family. Good to mod too  Wink
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: Tuesday, May 24, 2016, 12:21:40 »

Also bump, need a small car for the Mrs, probably £3K to £3.5K. Doesn't have to be exciting, just functional A->B stuff. Bare in mind she drives a knackered 2001 Hyundai Accent right now so most things will be an improvement!

On the list in no particular order: Kia C'eed, Suzuki Swift, Seat Ibiza, Fiesta, Mazda 2 (or 3), Toyota Yaris (or Auris), Honda Jazz. Maybe even a Focus or Astra.

Any others/avoids/recommended from that list.

Reckon we are looking at 2008/2009 for most of the low mileage example of those. Bit pot luck whether we get a good one or not I suppose (low owners/fsh and hope for best).
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: Tuesday, May 24, 2016, 12:32:47 »

My other half has a 2008 Suzuki Swift and its pretty decent tbf. Think it cost her about £3K at the end of last year.

Fiat Punto's are also not too bad if you're not going that far. You can get them with "City Mode" which makes the steering ridiculously light. In fact I think that comes as standard.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: Tuesday, May 24, 2016, 12:34:27 »

I am not sure what sort of money they are but I had a Fiat Panda for a while in Italy and it was a hoot to drive?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: Tuesday, May 24, 2016, 13:49:10 »

Thanks both!
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: Tuesday, May 24, 2016, 13:55:38 »

My wife had a Punto from new until it fell to bits after 10 years or so - she was well pleased with it.

Went for a Corsa after that which she adored.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: