Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: WW1 and all that.  (Read 3125 times)
leefer

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, September 2, 2014, 09:52:56 »

http://www.everymanremembered.org/profiles/soldier/652340/

Hi all,know there are a few people on here who have family who served,or maybe your mums and dads may know.
Good site if you would like to remember a special person from years back.

Donating is optional,so do not let that put you off if you would like to remember someone.

It is a personal thing so just posting the link!

All the best to you all and...UP THE TOWN. Smiley
sonicyouth

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, September 2, 2014, 09:57:42 »

http://www.everymanremembered.org/profiles/soldier/529200/

My great grandfather. I've got some photos etc which I'll upload at some point.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, September 2, 2014, 10:16:05 »

http://www.everymanremembered.org/profiles/soldier/1611175/

My Great Uncle, I have no pictures of him and certainly not in uniform as he died within a couple of days of landing in Belgium at the first battle of Ypres.

He landed on 10/11/1914 and died on 13/11/1914, his body never found but his name is on the Menin Gate in Ypres.

This is his soldiers penny that every dead soldiers family recieved in 1919 its about 4 inches accross.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, September 2, 2014, 10:18:07 »

Cheers leefer, I'll have to remember to put something up on that site later.

I know you've posted several times before about WW1 which prompted me to find my great great grandfather. I recently had a family tree done for my mum as a birthday present and found out much more about my great great grandfather.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, September 2, 2014, 10:25:19 »

I know you've posted several times before about WW1 which prompted me to find my great great grandfather. I recently had a family tree done for my mum as a birthday present and found out much more about my great great grandfather.

http://www.everymanremembered.org/profiles/soldier/1611175/

My Great Uncle, I have no pictures of him and certainly not in uniform as he died within a couple of days of landing in Belgium at the first battle of Ypres.

He landed on 10/11/1914 and died on 13/11/1914, his body never found but his name is on the Menin Gate in Ypres.

This is his soldiers penny that every dead soldiers family recieved in 1919 its about 4 inches accross.

Great stuff....Sonic and Peter.

Sam,really nice touch that.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, September 2, 2014, 10:28:59 »

Where did you get that done, Sam?
I'm trying to find a site to try and research my Mum's family from Ireland.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, September 2, 2014, 10:31:02 »

I used a family historian that I know. She put together a presentation folder with the tree, a little bit of blurb about each generation and copies of certificates and census records etc. It cost a bit, but it's not exactly your usual present.

I can put you in touch if you'd like?
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, September 2, 2014, 10:32:36 »

That would be great, if you could PM me. Thanks.
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, September 2, 2014, 10:33:11 »

War is such a dreadful, needless waste of life - it's a shame nothing was learnt from the First World War and that still today war takes place.
Sad fact of life I suppose.

I come from a land down-under
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, September 2, 2014, 11:28:19 »

War is such a dreadful, needless waste of life - it's a shame nothing was learnt from the First World War and that still today war takes place.
Sad fact of life I suppose.

You're just pissed because you lost.

Twice.

It's All Good..............
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, September 2, 2014, 11:36:07 »

You're just pissed because you lost.

Twice.

nope, just that people lost their life over such stupidity and it's still happening.

I come from a land down-under
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, September 2, 2014, 13:01:41 »

nope, just that people lost their life over such stupidity and it's still happening.

It's human nature isn't it? Wars will always be fought, often for stupid and pathetic reasons. People will always be killed and politicians will always cry crocodile tears.

The only way war will ever be just a memory is if mankind cease to be greedy by nature and that will never happen.

It's All Good..............
sonicyouth

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, September 2, 2014, 18:06:00 »

http://www.everymanremembered.org/profiles/soldier/529200/

My great grandfather. I've got some photos etc which I'll upload at some point.
not sure if anyone is really interested but I'm sure leefer will be...apparently one of my uncle's had a great deal of stuff from my great grandmother that he'd never really looked at; this included correspondence from the war office (see below), medals, various letters from his comrades and his possessions that were on his person when he died, which include some hand sewn postcards for my great grandmother (presumably never sent), wallet, route book et cetera.

leefer

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, September 2, 2014, 18:45:33 »

not sure if anyone is really interested but I'm sure leefer will be...apparently one of my uncle's had a great deal of stuff from my great grandmother that he'd never really looked at; this included correspondence from the war office (see below), medals, various letters from his comrades and his possessions that were on his person when he died, which include some hand sewn postcards for my great grandmother (presumably never sent), wallet, route book et cetera.

Interesting,just about 20 days before my rellies death..very late in the war which would have been harder for those families when it ended a few weeks later.
Note the date at the top of the letter the war had actually ended by then! Sad Sad
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, September 2, 2014, 19:06:29 »

There's a decent little WW1 exhibition in the Bath Road Museum atm.  Well worth spending 10 minutes on if you happen to be passing, or are in OT with a bit of time to kill.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: