Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 ... 61   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Other Transfer Rumours  (Read 277727 times)
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: Friday, January 9, 2015, 09:36:11 »

Anyone else sick of Ched Evans and the'  is he isn't he' saga?

Very! I know we're not directly involved but right now it feels like there isn't a headline in the sports world that doesn't mention Ched Evans!

#VivaKenBarlow!
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #196 on: Friday, January 9, 2015, 10:27:12 »

At least its put a halt to the Steven Gerrard love in
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: Friday, January 9, 2015, 10:29:11 »

I wouldn't give a flying fuck what some court said. If I thought I were innocent then I would maintain my innocence.

And that is your right.

But the rest of society will view and treat you as a convicted criminal that has refused to accept what you did, let alone show any remorse or regret for your actions. As Ched Evans is now finding out.
Flashheart

« Reply #198 on: Friday, January 9, 2015, 10:54:04 »

And that is your right.

But the rest of society will view and treat you as a convicted criminal that has refused to accept what you did, let alone show any remorse or regret for your actions. As Ched Evans is now finding out.

You don't get to speak for everybody. Personally from what I have read and from the court's verdict, I think he is guilty. However I wasn't there and neither was the judge/jury. They are not infallible. They could have got it wrong, it does happen.

Once we go criticising somebody for maintaining their innocence we begin criticising people's right to defend themselves. Just for the sake of argument let's imagine that he did not commit the crime and the court had it wrong. In such a scenario you'd have an innocent person being criticised for saying that they are innocent.

Again, just for clarity, I am not defending him because I think he is guilty. It's not just the Ched Evans' case either, it's about all cases.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: Friday, January 9, 2015, 11:12:22 »

I never criticised him for maintaining and fighting for his innocence, he (and everyone else) is free to do that and it's their right.

But at the same time, he has been found guilty by a court so society views him as having committed the crime. Saying you're innocent doesn't change that nor mean you should get special treatment. Guilty is guilty and as things stand he is just another in a long line of criminals that refuse to accept responsibility for their crimes, and he should be treated as such.
Flashheart

« Reply #200 on: Friday, January 9, 2015, 11:15:10 »

Saying you're innocent doesn't change that nor mean you should get special treatment.

Who the fuck said it does change anything? You have an outstanding ability to miss the point.

Meh! Forget it.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: Friday, January 9, 2015, 11:45:15 »

Who the fuck said it does change anything? You have an outstanding ability to miss the point.

Steve Bruce and Gordon Taylor. Plenty more people.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: Friday, January 9, 2015, 11:50:00 »

Why the fuck is Steve Bruce QC weighing in on this?
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: Friday, January 9, 2015, 12:31:38 »

Why the fuck is Steve Bruce QC weighing in on this?

I wonder if he is saying what a lot within the football world actually think?
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: Friday, January 9, 2015, 13:14:18 »

I never criticised him for maintaining and fighting for his innocence, he (and everyone else) is free to do that and it's their right.

But at the same time, he has been found guilty by a court so society views him as having committed the crime. Saying you're innocent doesn't change that nor mean you should get special treatment. Guilty is guilty and as things stand he is just another in a long line of criminals that refuse to accept responsibility for their crimes, and he should be treated as such.

What special treatment is he seeking, he is someone who has been released from prison and subject to the terms of his licence is seeking to return to his chosen profession ?

BTW I share the same points as made by Flash regarding his guilt or otherwise (I have not read the case in such detail as others)but equally I am not sure where we stop with society now informally deciding who can and cannot return to work having committed a crime - the fact that the petition set up to campaign against his return to Oldham was set up by someone hiding behind an internet alias and they were then being interviewed in the media just shows how far things have gone and the manner in which the law is failing to keep up.

The whole thing is just a complete mess which I suspect will now quietly disappear into the background. He hasn't apologised (and why would he if he doesn't think he did anything wrong - equally if you are pursuing a review through the courts I suspect his lawyers will not let him apologise and by this accept you did something wrong which kind of decides the review case in itself) and even if he did apologise now it would not be accepted by the majority who would say that he didn't mean it so its all limbo.

As for Peter Taylor...
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: Friday, January 9, 2015, 13:16:52 »

And that is your right.

So playing devils advocate what would you do if you were convicted of a crime you didn't do - would you just apologise and thus admit you did do it because society expected you to? 

I am genuinely not trolling, just interested in the way that people would react?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: Friday, January 9, 2015, 13:49:39 »

I am not sure where we stop with society now informally deciding who can and cannot return to work having committed a crime
That's not a new thing. And it's not just a case of returning to work, it's returning to a high profile job - the "Oooh, you wouldn't stop someone going back to work for Tesco" argument is bollocks. For example, I strongly suspect that in the unlikely event that Stuart Hall lives long enough to be released from jail, he won't be presenting a revived "It's a Knockout". And there's a good reason why Gary Glitter stopped doing comeback tours.

He hasn't apologised (and why would he if he doesn't think he did anything wrong - equally if you are pursuing a review through the courts I suspect his lawyers will not let him apologise and by this accept you did something wrong which kind of decides the review case in itself) and even if he did apologise now it would not be accepted by the majority who would say that he didn't mean it so its all limbo.
He has actually (yesterday - he apologised generally for any hurt caused or some such nonsense while still protesting his innocence), and as you say it wasn't accepted by pretty much anyone as it was plainly insincere and just a desperate attempt to try and salvage a contract. And probably not even his own idea, it smacks of precisely the kind of half-arsed scheme that PR genius Gordon Taylor would dream up.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #207 on: Friday, January 9, 2015, 14:51:18 »

Febian Brandy released by Rotherham, probably out of our singning remit being too old etc at the age of 25 but a good player on his day but a little injury prone.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: Friday, January 9, 2015, 14:53:32 »

Febian Brandy released by Rotherham, probably out of our singning remit being too old etc at the age of 25 but a good player on his day but a little injury prone.
Brandy Snaps?
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: Friday, January 9, 2015, 15:00:25 »

Town haven't signed a 'Oh I've heard of him. He's been kicking around the Football League for ages' sort player on a permanent basis for a good long while now.

Dany N'Guessan perhaps?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 ... 61   Go Up
Print
Jump to: