Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Excel ....  (Read 1905 times)
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« on: Monday, August 18, 2014, 15:07:16 »

Right.  I have a list of about 300 invoices and their invoice dates.

I need to stick them into a bucket depending on how old they are.  e.g <30 days.  31-60 days etc

What formula can I use to do this??
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, August 18, 2014, 15:14:39 »

Simplest way would be to stick another column in, add the formula =TODAY()-A1 (or whatever your cell reference is) to work out the number of days between the two dates, then just use the filter.
threeleftfeet

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, August 18, 2014, 15:56:34 »

I go for a slightly less-elegant solution in my work:

I have today's date in cell A1:  =TODAY()

Then in column B I have the bins similar to what you're talking about, Column C is the invoice date.

So the formula:

=IF($A$1-C4<30,"<30 days",IF($A$1-C4<61,"31-60 days",IF($A$1-C4<91,"61-90 days",">90 days")))

Where $A$1-C4 is today's date minus invoice date. Obviously change $A$1 to wherever today's date is, and C4 to the first invoice date

The idea being, if it's less than 30 days, display "<30 days", if not, move on to the next one, if it's more than 30, less than 61, display "31-60 days", if not, move on...

You can have as many bins as you need by following that structure...

fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, August 18, 2014, 17:00:38 »

Thanks. Both interesting.  Either way they would give me the bucket and I would just need to copy across the invoice value.

Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #4 on: Monday, August 18, 2014, 18:01:11 »

I'd use the DATEIF formula to return the number of days from today in a new column. Then create a pivot table based on all the data. Within the pivot table you then have the option to group the data which you could group in intervals of 30 (days).

But then again I do like pivot tables a bit too much.
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, August 18, 2014, 18:14:39 »

I'd use the DATEIF formula to return the number of days from today in a new column. Then create a pivot table based on all the data. Within the pivot table you then have the option to group the data which you could group in intervals of 30 (days).

But then again I do like pivot tables a bit too much.
[/quote

Confused me into next week has that.  A pleb like me could you filter and copy across
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: