Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Family history stuff  (Read 795 times)
sonicyouth

Ignore
« on: Sunday, August 17, 2014, 16:03:19 »

I know a few on here are into genealogy and all that as well as a few military history buffs, so I want to find out more about my great grandfather who died in France in October 1918 - how can I find out when he joined and whether he volunteered or was conscripted and why was he in the 2nd South Lancashire regiment despite being from Kenilworth, Warwickshire?

Poor bugger was killed by a stray shell as he slept in a stable at 3am well away from the line.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, August 17, 2014, 17:12:27 »

You should be able to find out by the national archives I would have though

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-subject/firstworldwar.htm

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
scillyred

« Reply #2 on: Sunday, August 17, 2014, 18:00:21 »

Look also at websites for the regiment which will enable you to find details re the soldiers and the regimental war action. Some of the data for regiments was destroyed in WW11 - this was the case with my grandfather, which was hugely frustrating - he survived but was captured at Vimy Ridge and held for a long period & very badly treated - but that is all I know, as he refused to talk about his experiences other than he had a lifelong hatred of Germans.

With the centenary there are loads of new websites to follow, if you put in WW1, soldiers  the regiment, actions etc etc

I have also read loads of books in the last year (Birdsong is the best fiction) - most of them are made up from letters home which tend to be highly sanitised so as not to worry relatives - the things that come out are the mindless slaughter, horrendous conditions & (as in you case) totally random sudden death.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: