Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Luton Town v Swindon Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 36713 times)
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« on: Monday, August 11, 2014, 23:00:06 »

The Opponent: Luton Town

After a decent start to the season we move on to the 1st round of The League Cup with a trip to Bedfordshire to face The Hatters. Hopefully Mark Cooper will be taking the competition a bit more seriously than Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe who plans to make a full 11 changes to the team that started their opening day victory at Huddersfield. I feel the final implications of an early exit are likely to determine most team selections for The League Cup in our league with ourselves being no different.

Luton, population wise, is very similar to Swindon, it has grown over the last few decades at a rate of knots similar to ourselves. It is also home to several international companies such as Vauxhall Motors, Electrolux and Easyjet, amongst others. Some famous Lutonians include 'singer' Paul Young, Cricketer Monty Panesar and Chelsea legend (if you have supported them more than 10 years) Kerry Dixon.  Luton is home to many festivals but one which caught my eye was The Luton St Patrick’s Festival, a festival celebrating the patron saint of Ireland and organised by Luton Irish Forum.  St Patrick, is held on the weekend nearest to 17 March and is now in its 15th year. The Festival includes a parade, market stalls and music stands as well as Irish themed events. If this isn’t an excuse to get hammered, which in turn means you forget that you are actually in Luton, then I’m not sure what is.

Since the 2011 census, Luton has become one of 3 towns in the United Kingdom to officially hold a white British minority. It was announced in a report based on the census figures that along with Leicester and Slough, Luton was one of 3 towns outside of London where white Britons were minority, making up only 45% of Luton's population. However the town still has a White majority, when non-British whites such as Irish and Eastern Europeans are included,] and 81% of the population of Luton still define themselves as British, despite the majority of its residents being from a foreign ethnic background. Personally I find our diversity as a country as something to be proud of but on the flip side, thuggish organisations such as The English Defence League (the founder was born in Luton) and the pro-Jihadi Muslim group Al-Muhajiroun use Luton’s ethnic diversity as a reason to spit their bile at each other.

Last Time Out – Carlisle 0  Luton 1  (Cullen). A decent 1088 made the long journey up to Cumbria for Luton’s return to The Football League and were well rewarded with a first half winner.
Starting XI – Tyler, Connolly, Griffiths, Wilkinson, McNulty, Lacey, Robinson, Drury (sub Stevenson 78), Howells (sub Luke Rooney 83), Cullen and Paul Benson.

They have served us both – Martin Williams, Roy Wegerle, Paul Benson, Mark Crook, Calvin Andrew, Jimmy Coupar, Sol Davis, Richard Dryden, Steve White, Bobby Weale, Paul Allen, Bobby Colvin, Danny Wilson, Adrian Whitbread, Garry Waddock, Tony Thorpe, Chris Turner, Norman Thomson, Kevin Dearden, Jake Findlay, Claude Gnakpa, Sammy Igoe, Yaser Kasim, David Geddis, Bernard Harris, Chris Kamara, Des Linton, Andy King, Luke Rooney, Andy Petterson, David Moss, Tommy Little, Fred Dent, Bertie Davies, Sam Parkin, Alan Judge, Willie Harber, David Preece, Colin Todd, Mike O’Hara, Tony Knight, Harry Keeling, Robert Middleton.  In my humble opinion, Jed did not serve us, more his own self inflated ego.

One From The Past – Swindon Town 3 Luton Town 2, January 6th 1968, FA Cup Round 2.  2 goals from Don Rogers and 1 from Don Heath in front of just over 18’000 at The County Ground ensured we made it through to Round 3. Looking back at the team sheet that day, names such as Downsborough, Trollope, Harland, and Rogers remind us youngerish (touching 40) non-moonrakers of our fantastic footballing heritage.

The Odds –   Luton 17/10  Draw 21/10   Swindon 17/10 (Hills) The inevitable Paul Benson opener is 6/1 but I would be tempted to swerve the 14/1 being offered on Ryan Harley.

The Son Says – Still upbeat from Saturday he has plumped for a 2-0 victory.

The Prediction –  I got the goal scorers right for the 1st game of the season (a first in 3 seasons), this will be 1-1 Full Time and we will win 4-3 on penalties. Our goal will come from Ben Gladwin, the winning penalty will be hit by Nathan Byrne, exorcising many penalty demons at the same time. 5320 in attendance with 388 having a happy journey home.  If all of this happens, I want a peerage.

And Finally – The town was immortalised in a 1970s Campari advert starring Lorraine Chase in which she was asked “Were you truly wafted here from paradise?” to which she answered: “Nah, Luton Airport.”

COYR COYR COYR COYR
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, August 11, 2014, 23:10:56 »

Good read Ross.

1-2. Att: 4,774 (233)
Lemis

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, August 11, 2014, 23:22:50 »

1-0 Luton win with Benson tapping in from a Luke Rooney cross, in front of a 4,593 crowd with 180 town fans

Have you seen the writing on the wall?
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, August 11, 2014, 23:50:53 »

Benno's going to score from a Rooney assist at the very least, but if we play like we did on Saturday then we'll win 4-1.

I hope the scoreline's not too embarrassing either way as I'm spending the weekend with the grandparents and me grandpa's a Luton fan.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, August 11, 2014, 23:55:43 »

Not in the slightest bit bothered about this one. I hope we make a few changes ahead of the weekend.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, August 12, 2014, 00:09:08 »

1-0 Luton - 424 from Swindon
kerry red

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, August 12, 2014, 02:34:40 »

1-2

8,120 with 367 ooh aaars

The mighty Smudger with both
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, August 12, 2014, 06:46:02 »

Luton 2-1 Swindon AET with Benson grabbing at least one for them and Smith scoring a tap in in front of 5,305 fans with 532 Town there.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, August 12, 2014, 13:36:48 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, August 12, 2014, 06:57:32 »

1-0 Benson 90+5

I am bothered, we've had some great nights in the league cup. Most recently Stoke away. I want more.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, August 12, 2014, 07:07:27 »

We had some pretty good nights in 1969 Wink

Actually I love the League Cup probably more than the FA Cup.

Semi Finalists in 79/80 and 94/95 some very happy memories of some great matches and wins against "bigger" clubs.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, August 12, 2014, 07:50:43 »

2-1 Luton. Benson with both.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, August 12, 2014, 08:06:12 »

Benson had a bit of an accident i see

* image.jpg (204.43 KB, 960x721 - viewed 336 times.)
Costanza

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, August 12, 2014, 08:21:54 »

1-0 Benson 90+5

I am bothered, we've had some great nights in the league cup. Most recently Stoke away. I want more.

You're always bothered in some way or another though.
brocklesby red

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, August 12, 2014, 08:37:48 »

I'm hoping for a decent league cup run but think tonight will be close.2-1 Town with Williams and a Thompson on target
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, August 12, 2014, 09:18:43 »

Not sure where my optimism has come from by 1-2 win tonight. Gladwin and Byrne.

Of course Benson or Rooney will score tonight.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to: