Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Are we in such bad shape for 25th July?  (Read 13511 times)
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 07:31:40 »

We'll be operating sustainably with a fanbase of 7,000 or 8,000 -

Start struggling at the wrong end of the table and that number will be more like 6k, get relegated and its no longer sustainable.

I think Power/Cooper are being incredibly naive this season. There is no way we will get away with the lack of experience we currently have. Yeah we've got a smaller budget this season, but in reality its not the smallest in the division and a number of clubs operate with this money. We should be bringing in experienced heads down the spine of the team to help the rest along. Get a leader in for fuck sake, instead Cooper spouts crap about the 4 he picked, none of whom are natural leaders. We have one at the club currently, in a position we have no players but we are not playing him. I know his legs are supposedly gone but having Ward around this squad must be beneficial. Cant help but think there is something else going on there.
kerry red

« Reply #46 on: Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 07:43:32 »

The problem with PdC was that although he achieved promotion and got us up to the top of L1 the players he 'spunked' money on were nowhere near worth what we paid for them.

Muff at least made a good profit on Grabban. What did we make on Collins and a host of other expensive and then given away players.

With the money available from Black virtually any manager would have got us promoted from L2 and maybe without the Italian's shenanigans may have hung around a lot longer
Stegenfreud

Say what now?

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 07:44:57 »

My concern is that Cooper said we are 4 first team starters away from our finished squad after the Bromley game, currently with no sign of these joining. We've pretty much run out of pre-season games so when are these players expected to gel?

Being financially stable is fine by me and if that means loans and youths then I'll accept it but I wish we could have had bodies in early to get settled ahead of the new season.

simon FERRY cross the avon... do do.
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 07:47:00 »

My concern is that Cooper said we are 4 first team starters away from our finished squad after the Bromley game, currently with no sign of these joining. We've pretty much run out of pre-season games so when are these players expected to gel?

Being financially stable is fine by me and if that means loans and youths then I'll accept it but I wish we could have had bodies in early to get settled ahead of the new season.

Can't remember the last time we got our transfer business done early and properly prepared for the season. The court case didn't help us for sure.

I can see no reason to be optimistic for this season at the moment unfortunately, fingers crossed that changes before the end of the transfer window.
kerry red

« Reply #49 on: Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 07:47:07 »

It is difficult to see what is holding up any of these loans.

Surely clubs must know who is likely to figure in their first team plans for the season ahead by now.

As on the pitch, there seems to be no Plan B
Stevens

« Reply #50 on: Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 07:48:09 »

Start struggling at the wrong end of the table and that number will be more like 6k, get relegated and its no longer sustainable.

I think Power/Cooper are being incredibly naive this season. There is no way we will get away with the lack of experience we currently have. Yeah we've got a smaller budget this season, but in reality its not the smallest in the division and a number of clubs operate with this money. We should be bringing in experienced heads down the spine of the team to help the rest along. Get a leader in for fuck sake, instead Cooper spouts crap about the 4 he picked, none of whom are natural leaders. We have one at the club currently, in a position we have no players but we are not playing him. I know his legs are supposedly gone but having Ward around this squad must be beneficial. Cant help but think there is something else going on there.

Well past his self-by-date - not an option
Stegenfreud

Say what now?

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 07:52:48 »

I suppose that relying on loans takes the ability to get a settled squad in early out of our hands as we are reliant on the parent club realising the player when they see fit.

simon FERRY cross the avon... do do.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 08:16:01 »

I don't see the need for this rash of pessimism when there's, what, another month before the transfer window closes? So far, Power has a better record of loanee recruitment than any other manager (yes I know) I can remember and we may yet sign someone permanent.

I'm always optimistic before the start of the season, but I remember feeling more confident than ever during the pre-season we signed Prutton et al. That's helped me manage my expectations since. Que sera sera.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 08:19:14 »

It is difficult to see what is holding up any of these loans.

In the case of the LB from Liverpool Smith he didn't even go on Liverpools tour so why could we not have completed this deal by now? I can only assume there are other interested parties ahead of us.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 09:00:30 »

Jesus from reading these comments I might have to sit in the DRS with my headphones on this season!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 11:25:24 »

It could be worse Blackpool have just signed 4 which brings their total of senior players up to 11 in the squad!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28089912
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 12:33:14 »

It could be worse Blackpool have just signed 4 which brings their total of senior players up to 11 in the squad!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28089912
So they'll be fine so long as they get no more than one injury per game and the League will let them play rush keepers. No problem!
Tamworth Red Army

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 13:33:55 »

Bet they have more CB's than we currently do !!
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 13:48:47 »

Bet they have more CB's than we currently do !!

I'm trying not to get too worried at the moment, but only having Branco and the young Derby loanee as centre backs is providing a little bit of a squeaky bottom to be honest.

My thought is that Stephens was planned to come in and then Southampton sold half their squad and so he's almost certainly not coming here.

I guess its also worth remembering that the Premiership kicks off a week later and sides will be a week behind us in deciding who is going to be loaned out to who, and when? 

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 14:25:33 »

Blackpool having to cancel friendlies because they don't have a team, Oldham having to cancel team photo because they don't have a kit:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28522535

We could be in much worse shape
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: