Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The summer of cricket thread 2014  (Read 66784 times)
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 18:16:21 »

Swindon are only in Glos/Wilts, the lads need to be playing Premier 1 or 2 to really be considered for county selection.
There's a better chance, agreed, but Gareth Roderick was signed by Glos 2 years ago on the back of his form in Glos/Wilts.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: Sunday, August 31, 2014, 20:24:05 »

See the Convicts lost an ODI to Zimbabawe....hope we haven't got to play them any time soon as it could be Eddo Brandes revisited.....for those that have forgotten Eddo finished off England 3-0 in an ODI series in 97 by becoming the oldest chicken farmer to take a hat trick in international cricket, think Nasser Hussain was one of his victims.
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: Sunday, August 31, 2014, 20:47:37 »

See the Convicts lost an ODI to Zimbabawe....hope we haven't got to play them any time soon as it could be Eddo Brandes revisited.....for those that have forgotten Eddo finished off England 3-0 in an ODI series in 97 by becoming the oldest chicken farmer to take a hat trick in international cricket, think Nasser Hussain was one of his victims.

That's bought back bad memories...

Saying that, England have gone out of the way of not playing the Zimbabwe because of the Mugabe factor, and we haven't played them for years, home or away.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: Tuesday, September 2, 2014, 10:11:28 »

Sad
DMR

« Reply #214 on: Tuesday, September 2, 2014, 10:18:26 »

Yet fucking cunting Cook had a pop back at Swanny...
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: Tuesday, September 2, 2014, 10:28:33 »

I know it's only one dayers, but we're going to be playing a lot of this over the next months, and atm we're not very competitive. 

Maybe things will improve as the day pans out.....
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: Tuesday, September 2, 2014, 12:02:40 »

Not helpful for a mate to point out when you're being a stubborn idiot and holding the collective back is it?
kerry red

« Reply #217 on: Tuesday, September 2, 2014, 12:12:24 »

We've been shite in the 50 over format for years

Go Moeen  Ali!!!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: Tuesday, September 2, 2014, 14:18:22 »

We've been shite in the 50 over format for years

Which is why, so say, the ECB have rejigged the international schedule, to try and give England the best chance of winning the WC....so we're led to believe, that fucking about with back to back Ashes etc and not keeping to the traditional time frame, is to enable our boys to have the best preparation; similarly playing shed loads of one dayers this winter.

Not working as yet is it?
kerry red

« Reply #219 on: Tuesday, September 2, 2014, 14:21:50 »

Cook is too fucking nancy
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: Tuesday, September 2, 2014, 17:05:29 »

Shameful performance by the whole team today - only Moeen Ali can hold his head up high!
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: Wednesday, September 3, 2014, 14:21:56 »

I think Cook needs to be pushed from the ODI captaincy before he'll ever walk away. He's simply not good enough with the bat for ODI cricket and his captaincy is even further away from being good enough in ODI cricket. Yes the defensive minded captain he is works in the test format, but not ODI cricket and I'd back someone like Morgan to be captain instead.

My ODI side would look something like this:

Hales, Trott, Vince, Roy, Morgan (C), Buttler (WK), Ali, Rashid, Broad, Jordan, Finn (with Taylor, Bopara, Bairstow (WK), Billings and Stokes around the squad)

I'd dispense with Anderson as he seems to go around the park without a red ball in his hand, I don't really rate Woakes and I'd have Ballance/Root/Bell concentrating on playing test match cricket. Tredwell is more of a tie up an end bowler as well, plus a few others who I can't remember at work.

An interesting read on espn cric info - http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/777277.html

Anyways those are my thoughts on the current state of our ODI cricket...

#VivaKenBarlow!
kerry red

« Reply #222 on: Wednesday, September 3, 2014, 14:25:27 »

Keep Jordan away from any England team. Liability.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: Wednesday, September 3, 2014, 14:58:40 »

I think Cook needs to be pushed from the ODI captaincy before he'll ever walk away. He's simply not good enough with the bat for ODI cricket and his captaincy is even further away from being good enough in ODI cricket. Yes the defensive minded captain he is works in the test format, but not ODI cricket and I'd back someone like Morgan to be captain instead.

My ODI side would look something like this:

Hales, Trott, Vince, Roy, Morgan (C), Buttler (WK), Ali, Rashid, Broad, Jordan, Finn (with Taylor, Bopara, Bairstow (WK), Billings and Stokes around the squad)

I'd dispense with Anderson as he seems to go around the park without a red ball in his hand, I don't really rate Woakes and I'd have Ballance/Root/Bell concentrating on playing test match cricket. Tredwell is more of a tie up an end bowler as well, plus a few others who I can't remember at work.

An interesting read on espn cric info - http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/777277.html

Anyways those are my thoughts on the current state of our ODI cricket...

The reality is that we've never particularly taken ODI's seriously in England, viewing test cricket as the measure of quality...therefore it would make little difference who you bring in the end results will be roughly the same.

The converse is true of India with tests.

As for Morgan as captain, I saw a  bit of Middlesex under him in the Royal London Cup, and they like in the 20/20 were truly awful.

Atm, the best one day captains domestically are James Taylor and Varun Chopra.

It would be fun, to have say 3 trial games for England in one dayers....put out the current side, v something like this....
Roy/Chopra
Lees/Lyth
Vince
Taylor (capt)
Bopara
Kieswetter
C. Overton
Willey
Fletcher
Riley
Parry/ R Patel
« Last Edit: Wednesday, September 3, 2014, 15:06:22 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: Wednesday, September 3, 2014, 15:30:21 »

The reality is that we've never particularly taken ODI's seriously in England, viewing test cricket as the measure of quality...therefore it would make little difference who you bring in the end results will be roughly the same.

The converse is true of India with tests.

As for Morgan as captain, I saw a  bit of Middlesex under him in the Royal London Cup, and they like in the 20/20 were truly awful.

Atm, the best one day captains domestically are James Taylor and Varun Chopra.

It would be fun, to have say 3 trial games for England in one dayers....put out the current side, v something like this....
Roy/Chopra
Lees/Lyth
Vince
Taylor (capt)
Bopara
Kieswetter
C. Overton
Willey
Fletcher
Riley
Parry/ R Patel

I wouldn't disagree with what you say Reg and that's a good potential side - in fact I think Chopra should have been given a go a few years ago and again some point last year when he scored a lot of runs!
You might also have seen from my previous side a Yorkshire connection, as a bit of a Yorkie fan through family, Alex Lees is going to be very good and Adam Lyth has been unlucky not to get a go. Bairstow has been in good knick in all formats this season, and his glovework is getting better.

The fact is we have the tools to get better at ODI cricket, but simply aren't using them!

#VivaKenBarlow!
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: